Cloud Nine's New Plane

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
There was much speculation over what Cloud Nine's new aircraft would be when I put the 414 up for sale. I am proud to announce that we have acquired a 1972 MU-2!

27073378_866017167783_1386490413259919655_n.jpg

27072545_866017162793_7263245755748705399_n.jpg

This was an unexpected move, but a very welcome one. This MU-2 has a much better panel than the 414, will go about 40% faster in cruise, and provides turbine reliability.

Of course, there's no such thing as a free lunch. This airplane needs a hot section on the right engine, which I'm looking into. Therefore, we're still right back at the point of raising money for engine work - just in this case for an HSI instead of the double engine overhaul. The dollar amount works out to be about the same in the end, though.

Last edited:
Very nice! Will the reduced passenger volume be an issue for you?

Damn, that's a sweet little hotrod, I want a ride! How does the space compare with the 414 for the doggies?

I was convinced you were going to go with a k mart king air. Have fun with the Hiroshima Screamer, if you need any advice on tpe stuff I might just know the right people.

Very nice, Ted! That’s a mean looking machine!

Reactions: Ted

It more or less is a case of "it is what it is." The 414 had more dog space, but in a lot of cases groups weren't able to receive enough dogs to fill the 414 entirely, so we actually had times when it was only partially full. On the whole, I think the size of the MU-2 won't pose any issues for us.

As far as human passengers, we're a family of 5 and the plane is a 7 seater (3 across the back, 2 in the middle, 2 in front), so we have plenty of space there. The baggage compartments on the plane are kinda oddly shaped in the back of the plane, but there's overall more baggage space than the 414 for our luggage for the rare personal trips we do.

Congratulations! Nice plane. Any nibbles on the 414 yet?

I was convinced you were going to go with a k mart king air. Have fun with the Hiroshima Screamer, if you need any advice on tpe stuff I might just know the right people.

If you know anyone who can help me with a cheaper hot section...

Congratulations! Nice plane. Any nibbles on the 414 yet?

Yes, several. Hopefully it sells quickly! I aimed to price it such that it would represent a very good value to the right person.

Fantastic! That’s always been one of my favorite turboprops.

Are you going to go through the training to fly it, or is it not mandatory? I forget all the details about it, but think the FAA requires training on it, let alone the insurance company.

-5s? Or is it one of the modded ones. What’s the overall time on the engines and time since hsi?

Are you going to go through the training to fly it, or is it not mandatory? I forget all the details about it, but think the FAA requires training on it, let alone the insurance company.

The FAA mandates the training on the aircraft, so I do have to do it. The FAA says once I get the training I'm good to go. I do plan on testing the waters slowly, though, and flying the plane regularly at first whether or not I have a Cloud Nine mission in order to gain time and familiarity with it. Everyone I've talked to has said it flies like a jet, and to treat it like a jet. So my plan is to go into it flying the plane at least every other week whether I need to or not, and might do every week to start until I get some hours in it and get a lot of training flights in.

This plane has a reputation for killing people who are inattentive, I want to make sure I'm not next on the list.

-5s? Or is it one of the modded ones. What’s the overall time on the engines and time since hsi?

These are -1s. The engine is at its HSI limit time wise, and 4150 SMOH (5400 TBO).

The sad part is that, as the MU-2 pulled up, I found myself thinking "Those engines aren't as loud as I remember them being when I flew Commanders."

Translation: My hearing loss has gotten worse.

I'm sure we can find a way to make it louder. There must be at least a few noise-reducing pieces that can be removed.

Sweet plane! I always wanted a ride in one.

Is that because it was designed by Asian sized people? Or was it because it's named mu (micro)? :)

We, the members of PoA, hereby christen Ted's new airplane with the name...

Moo Too

(Christopher Walken and cowbell to be added later)

Or perhaps...

Sound of Mu-sic

(Julie Andrews and a bunch of singing kids to be added later)

Or perhaps...

Di To No Co lo lo No Co

(Dino to Noise Converter, Lots & Lots of Noise Converter)

(But that just sounds like we're talking to a member of the Judoon)

So if you land gear up, the props and engines are still reusable?

Nice plane..!!!

Fun fact..... In Japanese 2 is pronounced "ni". Like knee. So looking at MU-2... Mu-ni.... muh ni...money....

39’ wingspan for an MU-2? So a twin turbine that fits in a standard 40’ hangar?

Ok I missed something because I had no idea you were even putting the 414 up :eek:......Congrats on the upgrade, I like it! :cool:

Holy crap, Ted!!! I don't know what it is you actually do with the dogs, but I might go buy a bunch of them just so you'll fly down here and gimme a ride in that shaggin' wagon. That thing is freakin' rad!

Back