Cloud Nine in the latest AOPA Pilot magazine

Jill was a great co-pilot for the flight. Back in 2010 I took her for a flight in the Aztec when she wrote the first article on Cloud Nine. Of course, much has changed since then, and even more has changed since she joined me on that trip in November.

If anyone has some extra physical copies of the magazine that they'd be willing to send me, I'd appreciate it - I expect we'll get this one framed.

Ted, have you considered sending an unsolicited bid to United? They could use some help with canine transport.

Actually, one of the points I've always made is that Cloud Nine's transports are much safer for pets than airline.

However, we aren't an air taxi for individual pets as the economics of that don't work. We make sure that the plane is filled so that we're making the best use of donated dollars.

I always thought "hot section" sounded sexy. If I had a hot section, I'd probably try to inject it into every conversation I could, too. :)
Haha yep at my age I would like to take my hot section in for an upgrade:)

@Ted DuPuis is not what I pictured :D

Out of curiosity, what were you picturing?

I ask because I’m really bad at predicting what people will look like in person, so it’s entertaining to find out what people think I should look like. :)

It's where he derives his power. He could not wield the banhammer without it.

I’m a modern day Samson. Except I can’t bench press a house.

Also if anyone wouldn’t mind sharing the actual magazine with he article when they’re done, I’d appreciate it. I think we’ll want to have this one framed and that requires multiple copies.

Also if anyone wouldn’t mind sharing the actual magazine with he article when they’re done, I’d appreciate it. I think we’ll want to have this one framed and that requires multiple copies.

(Serious suggestion) I'll bet if you call Jill Tallman she can arrange for AOPA to send you "five copies for your mother" (apologies to Dr. Hook). ;)

As for predicting what people look like, there were some pictures of you posted on another thread some time back and I remember thinking "He looks pretty young for such a big hammer." :D
But then guys like me and @mscard88 think everybody looks young...

Reactions: Ted
(Serious suggestion) I'll bet if you call Jill Tallman she can arrange for AOPA to send you "five copies for your mother" (apologies to Dr. Hook). ;)

As for predicting what people look like, there were some pictures of you posted on another thread some time back and I remember thinking "He looks pretty young for such a big hammer." :D
But then guys like me and @mscard88 think everybody looks young...

Was going to ask Jill as well.

Back when I started doing this almost 10 years ago, I got the young comments a lot. Now less so, but I’ve come to the cl conclusion that we all think anyone younger than us looks like a kid. :)

You can have my copy just let me know where to send and I'll drop it in the mail this week.

Just read the article. Great service you’re doing Ted. Yeah, for some reason, I always thought you were like some 70 year old dude with gray hair that’s been flying for decades.

p
I’m a modern day Samson. Except I can’t bench press a house.

That’s why you own tractors, sir. Tractors. ;)

Somewhere I had seen a photo of you prior to meeting up at OSH so I knew who I was looking for, but your hair didn’t really surprise me. I just darn near didn’t spot you because you were sitting very inconspicuously at that table with your co-workers/friends. I probably walked by three times before I spotted you there.

All sorts of people with hair like that in the engineering ranks in your age group at all the tech companies I’ve been at. And a few with long grey hair and beards.

Probably, now that I think about it, related to staying on the Unix side of things. ;)

Most of my older mentors were either wildly one way (long grey hair and beards and tie-dye on casual Friday) or all the way the other way and felt uncomfortable when they saw someone in the building wearing shorts, and they gave in slowly to even wearing khakis. Haha. (I think @Ravioli is still there. Shhhhhh. And I haven’t even met him yet!)

I was the annoying one who stuck with jeans and a polo nearly 90% of the time. The dresser-uppers hated the jeans, and the tie-dye figured I was The Man coming to get them from their dislike of polos from the yuppies of the 80s. :)

And then I just alternately shave off or grow the mega beard depending on annoyance level with shaving vs itching.

That’s why you own tractors, sir. Tractors. ;)

Somewhere I had seen a photo of you prior to meeting up at OSH so I knew who I was looking for, but your hair didn’t really surprise me. I just darn near didn’t spot you because you were sitting very inconspicuously at that table with your co-workers/friends. I probably walked by three times before I spotted you there.

All sorts of people with hair like that in the engineering ranks in your age group at all the tech companies I’ve been at. And a few with long grey hair and beards.

Probably, now that I think about it, related to staying on the Unix side of things. ;)

Most of my older mentors were either wildly one way (long grey hair and beards and tie-dye on casual Friday) or all the way the other way and felt uncomfortable when they saw someone in the building wearing shorts, and they gave in slowly to even wearing khakis. Haha. (I think @Ravioli is still there. Shhhhhh. And I haven’t even met him yet!)

I was the annoying one who stuck with jeans and a polo nearly 90% of the time. The dresser-uppers hated the jeans, and the tie-dye figured I was The Man coming to get them from their dislike of polos from the yuppies of the 80s. :)

And then I just alternately shave off or grow the mega beard depending on annoyance level with shaving vs itching.

Another philosophy I follow is "Speak softly but carry a big stick." Hence why you didn't notice me, Tony Saxton and I were just having a chat about Twin Cessnas. Incidentally, Tony's not a coworker, but a household name to all Twin Cessna owners as the most knowledgeable person on those birds in the world. Always have fun talking to him.

I figger when I actually get old (instead of just acting old) maybe I'll grow a grey beard to match the ponytail that'll work when riding my Harley.

Oh, work attire? Jeans and some sort of button down shirt. Sometimes a polo shirt in the summer.

He is some 70 year old dude, just trapped in a 40 year old body.

Lol! Yeah it’s strange how we picture people based solely on internet comments.

Guess you could say he has wisdom beyond his years.

He is some 70 year old dude, just trapped in a 40 year old body.

Lol! Yeah it’s strange how we picture people based solely on internet comments.

Guess you could say he has wisdom beyond his years.

Bill is off by a few years on age... I'm still in my 30s. First half of them, even.

I've long been accused on the internet of being older than I actually am and the words "old soul" have been used to describe me regularly. Back in late high school and college (before I got into airplanes) I was into Jaguars. Most of the people who participated in the mailing lists knew who I was (and had been dubbed "The Official Jag-Lovers Teenager", OJLT for short), there was also an IRC chat where I spent a lot of time. One other regular in there, a retired Ford exec who'd commissioned the building of a very nice XJ13 replica (for those who don't know what that is - have a Google) didn't believe I was 18 until I showed up to check out the XJ13 he was building and showed him my driver's license.

Now get off my lawn! Damn kids. Actually the neighbor's German Shepherd came onto my lawn yesterday and start barking/being aggressive towards the greyhound and me. So I handed the leash of the greyhound to my 5 year old and started walking assertively towards the GSD. He got the hint and ran away. I'm the alpha and this is my lawn, damn it.

Bill is off by a few years on age... I'm still in my 30s. First half of them, even.

I knew you were young, but didn't remember that you were that young! You must have been in your early 20's that time I stopped by in PA.

I knew you were young, but didn't remember that you were that young! You must have been in your early 20's that time I stopped by in PA.

I'm trying to remember which year that was exactly, but I'm thinking it was something in the 2008-2009 timeframe? So early/mid 20s back then, yes. Was a good time! And the beer at that restaurant was good, too. Laurie and I miss those motorcycle roads in PA.

It's yours after i read it :) PM me an address.. Next time you swing through vegas, lunch/dinner is on me

@denverpilot - If you meet me on a weekend it's totally different than in the office.

I always hear "We're business casual here, if you want." And I say "This is casual for me. I'm not wearing a tie."

<--- This is typical weekend wear.

Back