Clint Eastwood to make biopic of pilot 'Sully' Sullenberger

I remember an CFI of mine that said, "We keep hearing about the Miracle on the Hudson, and what a great job the pilot did. What about the great job the airplane did?"

And the APU !!!

Sullys background had a lot to do with his rapid decision to not try an airport. ( clutch city!) He was a well qualified military jet pilot and had lots of hours. Cool customer. I place him in very high regard along with the glimi glider canadian who also pulled off a miracle . Had it been windy and nighttime, hard to tell if the outcome would have been positive in either case. Sullys plane could have easily broken up had he not done the landing just so.

He failed. He didn't save the girl. Not my Clint.

Expendable. He was able to save The Torino! And not just a Torino, a friggin' Grand Torino man! So no, he didn't fail. Plenty of chickees around but not too many Grand Torinos, that's right. Plus he busted up that gang. That's just plain hero stuff in my book. ;)

Yeah but it was an Asian chick. I have a weakness for those. Not that I wouldn't defend any chick of any race, creed, nationality, Cirrus parachute status or bad haircut to the death, but dammit, there has to be some good in the world.

Yeah but it was an Asian chick. I have a weakness for those. Not that I wouldn't defend any chick of any race, creed, nationality, Cirrus parachute status or bad haircut to the death, but dammit, there has to be some good in the world.

Yaa I understand having spent a year in Korea, and living in the PI and Japan. Still, Asians don't value life as we do, and they damn sure don't build Grand Torinos! Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc sure, but not a big V8 Grand Torino. C'mon we're only talkin' one young girl anyway right?

Yeah I guess. I still want to live in a world where the good guys win and the bad guys get incinerated.

The entire crew did a superlative job in the face of a seriously bad situation and they have my admiration and respect.
Captain Sullenburger is as good as they get.

BUT..............................

The entire flight was 6 minutes.
Six minutes.
.1 hour.
1/10th of an hour.
I can't wait to see how they drag that out for 2 hours.

I remember an CFI of mine that said, "We keep hearing about the Miracle on the Hudson, and what a great job the pilot did. What about the great job the airplane did?"

The job the airplane should have performed was to not have a double engine flameout.

I bet Tom hanks cries at the least three times during this flick. There is not enough drama about this story or his handling of it to fill two hours without a bunch of made up Hollywood bs filing every nook and cranny. The story was great by itself and sully did a phenomenal job but there are far better flights to make a film about, how about a biopic of bob Hoover , now that would be worth the price of admission.

I don't remember there being any VIPs on board as well?

I would like to see a movie about Michael J. Novosel, last WW II pilot on active duty.

Somewhere Caroline Sheen, the photographer from Air and Space magazine has a picture of me and John King discussing Airbus safety with Sully. I really want to get a copy of that. I've met both Sully and Jeff a few times.

Sullys background had a lot to do with his rapid decision to not try an airport.
Not really. If you try flying his departure profile in the sim and kill the engines at the same point, deciding to glide to the river is a no-brainer. There was really no other choice. His background probably helped setting it down as smoothly as he did, but I think almost any airline pilot would have made the same decision.

I would like to see a movie about Michael J. Novosel, last WW II pilot on active duty.

Met Mike years ago at the Ft Rucker aviation museum. I was actually holding his book in the gift shop when he walked in. We chatted for awhile while he signed my book. Awesome guy.

Late in retirement he used to hang out with the students at the Rucker O club on Fridays. Here you are, WO1 nobody and you're drinking beers with a MOH guy and whose name is on the street that the O club is located at.

Not really. If you try flying his departure profile in the sim and kill the engines at the same point, deciding to glide to the river is a no-brainer. There was really no other choice. His background probably helped setting it down as smoothly as he did, but I think almost any airline pilot would have made the same decision.
There's always one or two armchair commandos saying things like this. In reality ,they would probably fold up like a cheap suit.

I don't particularly like biopics. I would prefer to watch a real documentary.

In all honesty, about the best thing that can be said about Sully's performance in this situation is that he didn't screw it up. I doubt his military or glider background made the difference, nor do I think that some super-special intelligence or skill was involved. I would expect most professional pilots of his maturity to perform just as well under the same circumstances.

I would say that there have been other captains and crew who have faced more challenging situations and have handled them just as well, including situations which did not result in an accident.

And, let's not forget that while the captain tends to get the publicity, he wasn't flying solo (a concept which also applies when decisions and outcomes don't go so well.)

None of my preceding comments should detract from the righteous recognition that he received for the way in which he handled the situation or the outcome, both of which were exemplary. However, the reality appears to be that both the options presented to him and the opportunity to deliberate on them were extremely limited.

JKG

When I saw it on the news my first thought was about the Cabin crew and the passengers. The pilot made a survivable landing that probably a majority of pilots in the same situation would have. That everyone got out in an orderly enough manner that there were no fatalities or major injuries was a testament to them.

And the ferry boats arriving quickly was a big part of a successful outcome too. Never hear anything much about them. Hopefully old Clint gives 'em some love.

I want to see the first time they handed the script to Tom Hanks, I bet it went like this......

" Sullehberger....is that a slovic name?"

that may be the worst trailer I've ever seen.

but when taking new female passengers up, I have to admit, I do try the "HEAD DOWN, STAY DOWN" mantra and, you know, see where that ends up.

but when taking new female passengers up, I have to admit, I do try the "HEAD DOWN, STAY DOWN" mantra and, you know, see where that ends up.

Why you dirty old man, or am I the dirty old minded man, alright, both of us are dirty minded scoundrels , and that Mulligan fellow too. :D

Last edited:
And the ferry boats arriving quickly was a big part of a successful outcome too. Never hear anything much about them. Hopefully old Clint gives 'em some love.

I've heard that "procedures" were instituted after the Air Florida accident that allowed "local" emergency responder entities to respond to the Hudson incident in an orderly manner

Back