Clint Eastwood to make biopic of pilot 'Sully' Sullenberger

"No animals were harmed in the making of this movie....... well, a cat got sick and some one shot a duck.....and two geese were thrown into a jet engine, but other than that no animals were harmed...."

I've heard that "procedures" were instituted after the Air Florida accident that allowed "local" emergency responder entities to respond to the Hudson incident in an orderly manner

A lot of major improvements in NYC emergency response came out of 9/11. Many of these programs trained people who weren't usually considered "rescuers" to use their skills and equipment for that purpose if the need arose, and also established streamlined channels for coordination and communication of civilian volunteers.

The boatlifts that ferried people between New York and New Jersey on 9/11 were the inspiration for the maritime aspect of the preparedness efforts. On 9/11, vessels of any sort that appeared seaworthy, along with their owners / masters / crews, were used to provide ferry service. All things considered, they did an admirable job. The city's subsequent programs to train, coordinate, and empower all interested mariners to promptly and effectively respond to emergencies were built on that foundation.

Rich

The entire crew did a superlative job in the face of a seriously bad situation and they have my admiration and respect.
Captain Sullenburger is as good as they get.

BUT..............................

The entire flight was 6 minutes.
Six minutes.
.1 hour.
1/10th of an hour.
I can't wait to see how they drag that out for 2 hours.
True.
I believe the movie will portray the investigative aftermath of the incident. Practically like Flight did.
So this should not be an aviation movie, morelike a drama about everybody doubting the public hero's actions.
We'll have to wait for the reviews.

True.
I believe the movie will portray the investigative aftermath of the incident. Practically like Flight did.
So this should not be an aviation movie, morelike a drama about everybody doubting the public hero's actions.
We'll have to wait for the reviews.

Except Flight was a crappy piece of fiction. Sully's flight was real life.

Except Flight was a crappy piece of fiction. Sully's flight was real life.
So technically, this movie should be classified as a documentary. (which I wouldn't mind)
But something tells me that Hollywood wants to inject bunch of extraneous c*ap to make it a billion-dollar blockbuster.
Otherwise it would have been done by PBS, paid for by viewers like you.

Oh, I'm sure that the Sully movie will have a bunch of fictionalized parts and possibly even composite characters but it still is based on a real life event instead of some fake unrealistic BS like Flight was. But yeah, I'd rather watch a good documentary with interviews of Sully, Skiles, engineers etc. Just no overly dramatic passenger stories.

The whole thing is overrated. Sully did nothing wrong, but really just what did he do???
He landed on the river as not to hit the buildings. He kept the wings level.
Where is the heroics?? Don't get me wrong.. There is nothing more he could have done.

Oh I agree there were no heroics just some pretty damn good airmanship and CRM. That make it a good story in my opinion.

Exactly. That was THE biggest takeaway from all of this. He didn't have enough time to make the correct analysis of the problem, but he stuck to the plan and kept it simple.
He also was lucky. What would the situation have been had he decided to land into the wind and against the current?

I saw the promotional preview in a theater yesterday. No way that I would sit through the whole movie, even if it was free.

Reactions: Ted
The whole thing is overrated. Sully did nothing wrong, but really just what did he do???
He landed on the river as not to hit the buildings. He kept the wings level.
Where is the heroics?? Don't get me wrong.. There is nothing more he could have done.

I admit, I know very little about this story and I get that people like to downplay events that get overplayed - this story has certainly been overplayed. However, I'd say that saving... what was it... 155 people... by making a smart, calculated decision and executing it to near perfection was pretty heroic. I thought I also heard that he refused to leave the plane until everyone was else was safely off.

Agree. It appears pretty boring to me. I will sit this one out but maybe pick it up next year at Wal Mart's $5 bin.

I saw the promotional preview in a theater yesterday. No way that I would sit through the whole movie, even if it was free.

All Sully had to do was a simple dead stick landing. Google any of the above and imagine having to deal with what those Captains did.
SIMPLE DEAD STICK LANDING? Really? Out of LaGuardia? Yea, he could have put it down in any one of those cornfields, eh?

I think Clint should have played Sully.

You feel lucky, duck?

A mans gotta know his planes limitations....

Are you gonna fly the plane, or whistle Dixie..?

It’s a hell of a thing, killin’ a goose. You take away everything he’s got, and all he’s ever gonna have....

Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn’t have messed with? That’s me, geese....

Now remember, when you hit a goose and things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is....

With apologies to Mr. Eastwood.

Are Sully's actions on par with an average captain in the majors, or is this an example of incredible airmanship that separates him apart from his peers?

Last edited:
I think Clint should have played Sully.

You feel lucky, duck?

A mans gotta know his planes limitations....

Are you gonna fly the plane, or whistle Dixie..?

It’s a hell of a thing, killin’ a goose. You take away everything he’s got, and all he’s ever gonna have....

Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn’t have messed with? That’s me, geese....

Now remember, when you hit a goose and things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is....

With apologies to Mr. Eastwood.

Left turn Skiles.

Are Sully's actions on par with an average captain in the majors, or is this an example of incredible airmanship that separates him apart from his peers?

Nobody knows. I'd like to think that I'd behave in a similar manner and have a similar outcome, but unless you're there....

Hopefully I'll go my entire career and won't have to find out. ;)

The more bits of it I see in the trailers, the less I want to see it. Sad, since I saw that horrible Denzel Washington trash in a theater, and we hardly ever go.

Last edited:
The more bits of it I see in he trailers, the less I want to see it. Sad, since I saw that horrible Denzel Washington trash in a theater, and we hardly ever go.

Flight was one of the worst aviation movies ever. Poorly constructed and poorly acted. I doubt that Sully will be anywhere close to that.

I heard somewhere he never pushed the "ditching" button. Anyone know if that's true??

I heard somewhere he never pushed the "ditching" button. Anyone know if that's true??

Heard the same thing but not from a reliable source. Also heard it didn't matter much once the back door was breached. Also not from a reliable source.

I heard they never got that far in the checklist.....ran out of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard they never got that far in the checklist.....ran out of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can certainly understand that. There are many times the crew needs to fly the airplane vs a checklist. That said, hitting the ditching button would seem a no brainer when landing in the water.
That said, I'm sure their main goal, and rightly so, was flying the airplane.

ETA: The ditching button may be part of flying the airplane..??

That's the talk, but I've also heard (and having seen the airplane at CLT I tend to agree), that the hull was too compromised for the ditching button to have made a difference.

It's true. The checklists were overhauled after this accident - the ditching item was at the bottom of about three pages worth of stuff previously. The assumption being that a ditching would occur after a complete power loss (or whatever) at altitude, and there'd be plenty of time.

Even with the current checklist (I'm not an Airbus guy, but I'm looking at it now), it'd take some time to get to the ditching button if you followed the checklist properly. So to Kritchlow's point, there'd have to be a certain amount of just knowing the plane and rolling your own in such a unique situation.

What would/does the ditching button do? I can only assume that it starts the coffee pots brewing fresh pots of hot beverages since most of the earths water is very cold and having a nice cup f hot beverage to sip while bobbing in the ocean makes sense.

What would/does the ditching button do? I can only assume that it starts the coffee pots brewing fresh pots of hot beverages since most of the earths water is very cold and having a nice cup f hot beverage to sip while bobbing in the ocean makes sense.
When landing on water, the ditching button closes air inlets/vents or other openings on the underside of the fuselage so it doesn't take on water for as long as possible.

When landing on water, the ditching button closes air inlets/vents or other openings on the underside of the fuselage so it doesn't take on water for as long as possible.
Thank you. I had figured that to be the gist of it but not sure to the extent.

is there also a "crash into a side of the mountain" button?

I wonder what that would do?

So not only did he carelessly fly into a flock of geese but he forgot to push a button as well as landing on water when the sim folks say he could have made the airport. Damn, what a slouch of a pilot. :confused:

Back