Climbs like a homesick angel

Heavens to Betsy, for the love of Mike, for Pete's sake...

Who are these people..???
Betsy, Mike, and Pete were folk singers who got replaced my Peter, Paul, and Mary!!! :)

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

I read somewhere that the origin of that saying was from the days before indoor plumbing. Water would be pumped from a well and pored into a tub. The same tub of water would be used for the entire family. First the father would take a bath, followed by the mother, and then the children from oldest to youngest. After the baby was done, the dirty water would be thrown out. Hence the expression “don’t throw the baby out with the bath water”, meaning don’t throw the good out with the bad.

I am so glad to be living in the modern era.

I really don't get why people complain about the cold every year. You live in the northern part of the US, it's January and it gets cold... say EVERY YEAR AROUND THIS TIME!!

“Busier than a one legged man at an azz kicking!”

I never laughed so hard the first time I heard my grandpa say that. I was maybe 10...

Ok. I heard this one while stationed in KY (at KHOP so it’s aviation related...):

“That gearbox was hotter than a fresh Eff’d Fox in a forest fire”

Last edited:
NA, but two of my favorites from a former Co-worker:

(Dealing with the intellectually challenged): “if brains were gas, you wouldn’t have enough to get a gnat’s car around the inside of a cheerio”.

(Dealing with someone demanding something unreasonable): “well if you got that, and I had a feather in my butt, we’d both be tickled.”

When it’s that cold the plane climbs like a raped ape.

My son says I’m the only one that knows & used this phrase. It seemed fairly common back in the 1970’s or so.

Ravioli's True Story Time: *don't roll your eyes*

When I was about 20 the older guys at work would ask each Monday "Did you get any Mud for your turtle?" Meaning, did I have any sex.

It was fairly routine conversation each week for TEN YEARS so I presumed it was a common expression.

Fast forward to when I'm 33 and dating my eventual ex-wife. I'm talking to a co-worker and said "I'm going to Dallas this weekend to get some mud for my turtle"

He's like, "that must be a really special turtle." And I said, "yeah, she is pretty special."

The next week he asked me about the turtle. I'm like, don't you know that expression?

Color Ravioli clueless, he had never heard it, nor had any of the other guys in the conversation.

Good laughs all around!

Last edited:
When i worked construction every Monday Id get asked "Did ya get any honey on your stinger this weekend?

"Nervous as a whore in church" is another of my favorites

I say "Sweating Like a whore in church"

Boy you so damn dumb that you couldn't pour p*ss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

If brains was dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow your nose.

And it's cold enough here tonight to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. (There's supposed to be a British Naval derivation behind that one)

And it's cold enough here tonight to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. (There's supposed to be a British Naval derivation behind that one)

Sailors stacked cannonballs on brass "monkeys" to keep them from rolling around the gun deck while the ship was rolling with the swells. When it gets cold, everything shrinks but brass shrinks more than the iron cannonballs. This leads to problems . . . .

Think ships with sails, with rows of cannons pointing left and right. Now visualize a bunch of heavy iron cannonballs rolling around, knocking into everything . . . Another problem since defeated by technology but living on in language.

...as useful as tits on a boar.

(Insert expensive object like) That Glock is only good as a trot line sinker.

What was the OP's question again?

Back