Cleared to...

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
Off the top of my head and without looking it up, you can be cleared...
  • ...to a destination, IFR
  • ...to (for) takeoff
  • ...to (into) class Bravo, VFR
  • ...to (into) restricted airspace
  • ...to (for) an approach
  • ...to land
I'm only counting those things where ATC actually uses the word "cleared". What am I not remembering?

Bonus points for not looking it up. :)

Actually, I don't think I've ever heard that one. It's always been "exiting class Bravo, proceed on course, altitude your discretion".

Ok, I get it every time when talking to clearance when flying VFR. "Cleared out of the class B airspace via fly heading 123, maintain VFR at or below 3500" or something similar.

we-have-clearance-clarence-whats-our-vector-victor.jpg

Actually, I don't think I've ever heard that one. It's always been "exiting class Bravo, proceed on course, altitude your discretion".

I usually hear "Bug destroyer 666, you're clear of the Bravo..."

Off the top of my head and without looking it up, you can be cleared...
  • ...to a destination, IFR
  • ...to (for) takeoff
  • ...to (into) class Bravo, VFR
  • ...to (into) restricted airspace
  • ...to (for) an approach
  • ...to land
I'm only counting those things where ATC actually uses the word "cleared". What am I not remembering?

Bonus points for not looking it up. :)

...direct. That one causes confusion sometimes. Sometimes pilots interpret it as a Clearance Limit. That is "cleared TO"

Cleared to cross a runway (edit: I've heard "cleared to cross X" and also just heard "cross X")
Cleared direct to a waypoint along route of flight
Cleared through restricted area

That's all I got off the top of my head

Special VFR

As I understand it, "clear" is very different from "cleared" in ATC-speak.

My point exactly. I've never heard "Cleared out of the bravo."

Otherwise we'd have to add the ATIS "Sky Condition Clear" to the list, right? I guess by that I'm assuming ATIS is part of ATC communication.

...VFR-on-top?
...Option?
...out of the Bravo
Good catch.

My point exactly. I've never heard "Cleared out of the bravo."

Otherwise we'd have to add the ATIS "Sky Condition Clear" to the list, right? I guess by that I'm assuming ATIS is part of ATC communication.
Many years ago while flying checks in the C310, I had a nightly route departing Newark. Every night my clearance (on the ground prior to taxi) included “cleared out of the Bvavo”. (May have been TCA back then). I once asked clearance delivery about that. They responded that I was already in the Bravo, so the logical clearance would be an exit clearance.

It’s the landing clearance that I truly do not understand. It means very little other than a heads up there may be conflicting traffic. It should be more defined. For example, you could do a one foot low approach down the runway, but that wouldn’t avoid the conflict. It should be defined something like “cannot cross the threshold without landing clearance without executing a missed approach”.

Nothing to add except this recent exchange with Phoenix approach:

Me - Phoenix approach, Cherokee 5660U two miles Southeast of Falcon Field, three thousand five hundred.
PHX - Cherokee 5660U say destination.
Me - Tucson and requesting flight following.
PHX - Cherokee 5660U squawk XXXX and say requested altitude.
Me - 7,500' to get out of these bumps
PHX - <laughs> Cherokee 5660U cleared into Bravo airspace, climb at pilot's discretion
Me - God bless you ma'am.
PHX - you're very welcome.

My favorite:
“CLEARED TO CONDUCT EVASIVE ACTION MANEUVER FROM (fix) TO (fix),”

You cannot use myths, I call BS.
Moooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm! :D

Cleared as filed is one of the scariest things a controller can say.
Me: Ready to copy long clearance
Controller: “cleared to K... as filed”
Me to self: “$#%# what did I file?”
Me: “cleared to K... as fiiiiiled (scared voice)

Back