Cleared as filed..

the400kid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FLAAV8R
Yesterday I filed an IFR flight plan via Garmin Pilot with a route of "direct". An hour before the scheduled departure I was sent an expected route by ATC via Garmin, which then fed into the Garmin Pilot app.

When I started up and called clearance delivery I was given the clearance "cleared to ABC airport via radar vectors then as filed". Did this mean that eventually I was to fly direct or via the fixes that arrived on the iPad?

Yesterday I filed an IFR flight plan via Garmin Pilot with a route of "direct". An hour before the scheduled departure I was sent an expected route by ATC via Garmin, which then fed into the Garmin Pilot app.

When I started up and called clearance delivery I was given the clearance "cleared to ABC airport via radar vectors then as filed". Did this mean that eventually I was to fly direct or via the fixes that arrived on the iPad?

Those 'expected' route things you get in those Apps like Garmin Pilot, Foreflight etc. are not a part of either your Flight Plan or your Clearance. What you filed is what "As Filed" is. If the Controller says as filed, it's that, what YOU Filed. If you go Nordo and it gets down to 91.185 (c) (1) (iv), it's what YOU Filed.

...nor is it a route you were told is expected (for lost comm purposes).

Reading the question you were cleared Direct, because that is what you filed.

You filed direct...They said radar vectors then as filed. So they vector you for a bit then I'm sure at some point they told you direct to your destination so it would be direct from that point. Easy peasy.

Since it sounds like this was in the past how did it play out for you?

Cleared direct after they vector you out of the area.

As others have said, when you hear "as filed", it refers to what route you requested when you originally submitted the flight plan - in your case, 'direct'.
Anything you may have received in the meantime, through any means (flightaware, EFB apps, ...) doesn't matter.

- Martin

Yea and I read on the inter webs that the garmin proposed route is a computer generated guess of what you possibly will be cleared for. No human is sitting there coming up with that suggestion.

file what you think you will be cleared for, fly what they clear you for.

Back