Cleared as filed

"Err jk, I have an amendment to your clearance, advise ready to copy."

Yeah, sometimes a plan comes together. Down in the south, I can pretty much file anything resonable, furhter north, there's an art.

I remember my first instrument cross country in training. I filed what I thought was a good route (VOR just south of the field and airways to the destination). I got back a clearance for a route to a VOR in the wrong direction (which I learned is where all routes from my airport tend to emanate).
My PIC instructor wasn't a local so he didn't know either. Then just after takeoff and I call approach I get "We have a reroute for you, advise when ready to copy." OK, ready. Hey, this is the route I filed originally.

Roanoke approach has taken to saying "Advise when ready to copy" these days and then when I say ready, they clear me to my destination, direct. This I had to copy?

My last trip from Binghamton to HEF got an "as filed" clearance, then direct destination enroute. Switched to Potomac who amended it to the Dulles East transition, then direct. 5 miles from the Class B was given a reroute over MRB and CSN to stay clear of IAD Class B.

Reroutes happen.

Dulles East depends on which way you're going with respect to which way they are landing at Dulles.

The oddest clearance I got was one from OWD down over JFK that had IAD in the route. Not AML (the VOR on the field) but the actual airport. Fine if you've got a GPS I guess.

Dulles East depends on which way you're going with respect to which way they are landing at Dulles.

The oddest clearance I got was one from OWD down over JFK that had IAD in the route. Not AML (the VOR on the field) but the actual airport. Fine if you've got a GPS I guess.
Yeah it was the correct direction that day, and I don't think there was a runway change in progress. Who knows, but it would have cut a whole bunch of miles off if they'd told me it wasn't available rather than clearing me on it then revoking it. Only time I've ever had a beef with Potomac.

"Err jk, I have an amendment to your clearance, advise ready to copy."
I get clearances from the ground guy at our Delta. If he pulled that on me, there would be no more donuts going up that tower (which happens from time to time).
That would be a VERY cruel joke. :D

I can sorta one up you, Lou.....

I'm so used to medium to long routes departing from Denton.... That I nearly didn't know what to do when getting my clearance at Monroe, LA to come back to Denton, I got, "55WB is cleared to the Denton Enterprise Airport, Delta Tango, Oscar, DIRECT, initial altitude three thousand, expect eight thousand in ten minutes, Departure frequency 126.90, Squawk 5432."

So used to twisting and button pushing... "Direct" sorta tossed me off the usual game.

Nothing like bopping along Southern Indiana getting FF...

27K: Looks like it's clouding up. Can I get an IFR clearance from you or do I need to go file.
ZIN: What altitude.
27K: How about 9000
ZIN: Cleared to Culpeper via direct, maintain 9000.

That works.

Nothing like bopping along Southern Indiana getting FF...

27K: Looks like it's clouding up. Can I get an IFR clearance from you or do I need to go file.
ZIN: What altitude.
27K: How about 9000
ZIN: Cleared to Culpeper via direct, maintain 9000.

That works.
Can't quite get that quality of service from ZFW just north of the DFW Bravo. There's something in the LOA saying that if you do a pop up, they gotta put you on a STAR.

A few weeks ago, I was KOUN >> KDTO when I needed to do a pop up because I was a 6000 and Denton was reporting OVC2700.​

5WB (me): Request IFR clearance to descend through the layer ahead and over Denton
ZFW: 55WB is cleared to KDTO via the GREGGS8 Arrival. Proceed direct GREGGS.
55WB: (I repeat the clearance and get "readback correct")

Enter the new route into the 480, execute, and just as I'm turning to the right to go to GREGGS...​

ZFW: Skylane 5WB, contact Regional Approach, 118.1. Good day

5WB: Regional Approach, Skylane 55WB, level 6000, direct GREGGS for the GREEGS8 arrival.
Approach: Skylane 5WB, proceed direct Denton, Gainesville Altimeter 29.72.

Maybe all of 20-30 seconds off of the original course, and now I'm back on it.... such is the fun of flying around DFW.​

Last edited:
"Cleared as Filed"

I've never heard that phrase. What does it mean? How do you copy it? What is the appropriate read-back? Is it English?

Going from New Jersey to Massachusetts,in the morning. As always I expect to get,ready to copy a route change,several times while going of NY city.

Went MS to D.C. this week and managed direct the whole way except one slight off course to NELLO around ATL. Oh yeah, and they had me go 5 degrees off to BRV before entering the SFRA but that's common.

Down south, it's always direct all the time. I file nothing else.

"Cleared as filed" is very common.
But even more common is a reroute once airborne.

"Cessna 79M, advise when ready to copy full route clearance..."

Awwww ****! LOL.

"Cleared as filed" is very common.
But even more common is a reroute once airborne.
Pretty much. Especially if you are flying anywhere near CLT. I always get cleared as filed and then halfway through my flight CLT reroutes me.....every single time.

I was leaving OWD (sw of Boston) heading down to DC. Looked at the chart and V3 goes west of NYC and down to MRB (pretty close to the destination) so I filed that. Oddly, the computer thought that was a pretty good route and let me have it. I called for my clearance and it went something like...

OWD: Navion 5327K is cleared to CJR via... oh... this isn't going to work... hold on a second... (pause of several minutes) ... OK 27K I have a route for you, got your pencil ready? I then got the standardly issued route which zig zags through Connecticut, down the middle of Long Island Sound, over the top of JFK and then V16 down to the eastern shore of Maryland and then over.

At least I knew to follow all the bends in V16 rather than just arguing that people compliment me on my instruments all the time.

I get that all the time up here in northern New England. I usually file airways to avoid having to go to altitude for relatively short flights, or to stay below the clouds in the winter. But I often get cleared direct anyway, at some point.

Often will get "as filed" if you file the preferred or TEC route listed. My latest annoyance though is when you file:

Fix V1 Fix

and are then told you have a full route clearance and they read off:

Fix V1 Fix V1 Fix V1 Fix

...which of course is exactly the same. I'm told this is done to hold the hands of people with crapy GPS systems that don't understand what an airway is (like the 430) so they give you all the bends. Grrr.

I get that all the time up here in northern New England. I usually file airways to avoid having to go to altitude for relatively short flights, or to stay below the clouds in the winter. But I often get cleared direct anyway, at some point.
I have noticed that I'll get cleared direct a lot only to be rerouted by CLT later. Doesn't matter which way I'm going either. I'll file a route that keeps me well clear of the CLT Bravo, get cleared as filed and then either Washington or Atlanta Center will clear me direct to my destination which inevitably takes me through the CLT Bravo. Then CLT gives me the reroute.

...which of course is exactly the same. I'm told this is done to hold the hands of people with crapy GPS systems that don't understand what an airway is (like the 430) so they give you all the bends. Grrr.
But they get complimented on the accuracy of their instruments.

Back