Clearance Delivery through the Bravo via VFR

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
I have been flying IFR (training) for the last 4 months and swear I forgot how to fly VFR. Crap.
I need to take off tomorrow from a Delta airport, circle for ten minutes waiting for a Bravo clearance. Can I instead call Clearance Delivery, get a squawk code and bust through the Bravo via VFR!?

Call and see. They may have a LOA (Letter of Agreement) between the two facilities.

Can you request flight following and have them coordinate traversing Class Bravo airspace?

Maybe I can just call CD, say I'm an IFR student, on my way to my IFR check ride, would like to practice IFR through the Bravo while practicing filing IFR flight plans. :)

Why do you need to circle for 10 minutes? Where are you flying out of?
Out of Deer Valley KDVT, AZ. I can just take off south, stay under the Bravo, get clearance and go. But since now I have been exposed to what I can do with IFR , while encompassed by the Bravo Phoenix overlord, I want clearance before taking off and not have to deal with the step ups downs that are the airspaces.

So what's the big issue here? The Class D should be able to coordinate it on the ground. As previously mentioned, try calling for FF and request a Bravo transition.

Yeah, Phoenix Class B can sometimes be not very..... ahhhh..... accommodating to VFR pilots.

And yes, I failed my first IFR checkride on the NDB approach. We did everything else, so all I had to do on the re-ride was one NDB approach, which we did to the missed approach point. Then VFR back to the home airport and land. Ok.... uh.... How do I make a VFR landing? I was thinking I was going to be the very first pilot to fail the instrument checkride on a VFR landing......:lol::lol::lol:

Call clearance delivery and tell them what you want. When I used to fly out of DVT I was VFR most of the time. They would ask me if I wanted flight following, which meant clearance through the Class B, and away we went. To me it was much quicker to leave VFR and then pick up the IFR clearance with center. But I flew dead bodies and I never had any complaints from the passengers about how I departed the airport.

The method changes from place to place. Worst-case scenario: you give it a try and get, "Unable. Contact XXX Approach on 1##.# after departure and ask them."

NDB approaches are no longer tested! I still will have to do an Arc and hold, which will be a challenge.
With what kind of equipment?

That's curiosity because, (kind of a mini soapbox for me) even with nothing more than a VOR with DME, both are much, much easier than they are usually taught to be.

NDB approaches are no longer tested! I still will have to do an Arc and hold, which will be a challenge.

I will give this a try, thanks.

With what kind of equipment?

That's curiosity because, (kind of a mini soapbox for me) even with nothing more than a VOR with DME, both are much, much easier than they are usually taught to be.

NDB approaches are still tested. I've asked this question to the FAA, specifically AFS-630. They informed me that it's testable even though it's been removed from the ACS as an acceptable non-precision. They cite that the DPE/ASI can use the "installed equipment" clause.

My reaction was WTF????

... But I flew dead bodies and I never had any complaints from the passengers about how I departed the airport.
Lol, what did you list for souls on board?

Lol, what did you list for souls on board?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had to ask the first time as well. Answer: 1

But in remarks I would put, Body in transit. I didn't want any confusion in case I crashed somewhere....:smilewinkgrin:

I will give this a try, thanks.

NDBs were still tested back in '94, and I had to do one for my ATP in '03. I used to be pretty good with them back in the day. Now I just use the ADF for that wonderful AM talk radio......

Maybe I can just call CD, say I'm an IFR student, on my way to my IFR check ride, would like to practice IFR through the Bravo while practicing filing IFR flight plans. :)
IFR doesn't necessarily take you through Class B unless you're headed to PHX or an approach goes through it. You can be routed around it. Short IFR flights can get lengthened tremendously by traffic and terrain in a terminal area.

CD doesn't handle VFR transitions. Sometimes Tower, usually Approach. And you have to be talking to the right sector.

You can get a practice SID, but I've never heard of practice enroute through ATC, aside from vectors to an approach.

Back