Cleaning Stains off fabric

RayRice2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ray with the 47 Cub
Hi, I'm an 800 hr bonanza pilot, with a new to me 1947 cub. I'm new to fabric aircraft. I just got the cub, it sat with bird poop on it for a year. After washing it with dawn, the poop is gone and the plane is clean, but the stains remain. see the photos. Poop on, and poop off, stains remain.

ALSO - there were lots of birds living in the tail section. I pulled all the nest debris but it has some poop and dirt. Can I hose out the inside of the tail?

site won't let me post the pictures because I'm new. Ill try in a bit
SO,
Help with stains?
Hose out the tail?

I know nothing about any of that....
but I would speculate that since it's all an unknown quantity to you...I would assume that the nests and poop had been inside the tail for a long time.... and therefore there could be a corrosion issue happening in there. I'd think that you'd want to have someone open up that area for a really good look-see.

The Birds moved in late April of 2022 and stayed until August or September. Thats when they went south somewhere. Probably Florida, with all the other snowbirds. They came back in Mid-April of 2023. I helped the previous owner evict them and clean up the inside space in May of 2023. I think it was a late rent issue. Anyway, after that, there have been no more renters. However, others have visited and roosted above the Cub and left lots of evidence of their stay. So, the mess inside was there for 13 months.
After pulling everything out I could get my arm to, I used a shop-vac and vacuumed the inside. I used a scope to get a good look and there is no evidence of corrosion, but there is still some nest material, poop crust on the fabric and debris that can't be reached. I want to remove all of that and have a clean fuselage. So, what do YOU think? Should I hose it out and in doing so, get the untreated side of the fabric wet, or just leave it in there?

Additionally, the previous owner replaced the entire J3 frame assembly and recovered in 1985. It has been hangered since then.

The first owner had it for 30 years and I bought it from the second owner who owned it for 47 years.

I'm not sure why, maybe because he is 90 and isn't going to fly anymore, but the previous owner gave me HIS PILOT LOGBOOKS, and the first owners PILOT LOGBOOKS.

I have a record of every single flight this bird has ever made. The day (sometimes even the time of day) and who the passenger was, and what town they are from.

Last edited:
I'm new to fabric aircraft. I just got the cub, it sat with bird poop on it for a year
Need more info on the fabric. Does the aircraft have a current annual inspection?

One year out of annual, not flown in a year. Started and runs great.
previous owner kept up on maintenance, it was a nice bird before the Birds.

Stitts poly fiber with Polytone. That's what the log book says.

One year out of annual, not flown in a year.
Stitts poly fiber with Polytone. That's what the log book says.
What date is the Stits sign-off?

Regardless, before you get too carried away, first talk with the mechanic you will use to get your annual current. Some mechanics use different methods to determine fabric serviceability which can include “stain” issues and other external effects on the fabric system. Once you have their input, find out how they want you to clean up things.

... but the previous owner gave me HIS PILOT LOGBOOKS, and the first owners PILOT LOGBOOKS.

I have a record of every single flight this bird has ever made. The day (sometimes even the time of day) and who the passenger was, and what town they are from.
Wow, what a great history record. As you know the intrinsic value of that flight record - Keep it UP!

There are (should be) water drain holes at the low points. They will look like silver dollar size patch, zig zag edge, and then we melt the drain hole with a hot nail. Obviously, anything larger then the drain path will remain. Get as much dry out as possible. IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED, there isn't anything in there that can't get wet. On a sunny warm day, give it a rinse and leave it out in the sun to dry...

THE STAINS: Is your paint job shiny like a car? (Acrylic) OR is it a slightly dull finish? (PolyTone)

I see Post #7
Stitts with PolyTone

So Polytone while it is not a catalyzed paint, it doesn't get shiny and it doesn't get hard. PolyFiber products has a 'Rejuvinator' that may help with your stains and also you can easily remove paint for a repair and the new paint can be blended right in seamlessly, perhaps even with a brush.

Get the PolyFiber manual for more information and you can also call the PolyFiber folks and they'll answer ant questions and offer guidance.

Please let us know what they say!

Back