Cleaning iphone receptacle

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
can I shoot electric contact cleaner into the lightning port?
Getting intermittent connx with charger.

Just use the end of a paper clip or a needle. That is what I do. It is usually pocket fuzz that causes my issues.

I second the needle, though I used a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil "lead". I don't know it it made a difference but I turned the phone off in case I shorted something. I don't know if it made a difference because I don't know if the phone is completely turned off such that I couldn't short something. The pencil "lead" has some resistance to reduce damage if I did short something out.

I posted this while in and out of signal, so apparently it went twice without notification. Sorry for the duplicate thread.

Just had mine done at Apple. They said use a soft toothbrush.
They also said DO NOT use metal. If the receptacle is at all scratched they William charge you to replace. A soft toothbrush (they say) will do the job perfectly without damage.

Just had mine done at Apple. They said use a soft toothbrush.
They also said DO NOT use metal. If the receptacle is at all scratched they William charge you to replace. A soft toothbrush (they say) will do the job perfectly without damage.
That's why I like the toothpick. Gets in a lot deeper than a toothbrush could.

Just had mine done at Apple. They said use a soft toothbrush. They also said DO NOT use metal. If the receptacle is at all scratched they William charge you to replace. A soft toothbrush (they say) will do the job perfectly without damage.

I'm thinking of using the sonicare (wife's, naturally). A little vibration in there might help.
No metal, I assure you - your "William" guy sounds like a meanie, Kritchlow.
What is the 'horse method'?

A small non-metallic brush ("phono stylus brush" for those old enough to know what one is). I hit it with a couple of shots of compressed air from a can before doing that - blow out all the lint.

Some contact cleaners are OK, but some will really f^[< up the plastic. Unless you absolutely know it's OK, I'd avoid them.

Considering that the Lightning connector on the phone is female and the cables are male, if the connector on the phone is getting crud in it...

A) There's no cover on the phone with any protection of the port on the bottom. (Common but easily fixable.)

B) The male cable ends are probably a mess. Clean those and nothing gets shoved into the phone to gum it up. There's probably crap all over the pins.

If it's still intermittent it's probably broken from pushing the cable "fore and aft" in reference to the face of the iPhone -- it's a flat plate essentially and you can easily exert enough force to break the phone receptacle by tossing the phone anywhere that's too short for the phone and puts pressure on the cable.

Just thoughts.

If it's a 6/6+ then it's just a bad, worn out charge port. The 6 models are notorious for losing the touch functionality and charge connectivity. Design flaws, Chinese production. Check out iPadRehab.com for a fix.

I had this problem with my iPhone 6. At first it was intermittent then wouldn't charge at all. I took it to the Apple Store and the reception person used the end of a metal tool (which looked like a paper clip end flattened slightly) and dug a big wad (for the size of the port) of lint out of it. I carry it in my pocket. The next time it happened I did it myself with a paper clip end (but gently). Same deal. Then I got an OtterBox cover off of eBay that has a flap over the port and haven't had the problem since. My phone is almost 3 years old.

I had this problem with my iPhone 6. At first it was intermittent then wouldn't charge at all. I took it to the Apple Store and the reception person used the end of a metal tool (which looked like a paper clip end flattened slightly) and dug a big wad (for the size of the port) of lint out of it. I carry it in my pocket. The next time it happened I did it myself with a paper clip end (but gently). Same deal. Then I got an OtterBox cover off of eBay that has a flap over the port and haven't had the problem since. My phone is almost 3 years old.

That tool is the special Apple SIM card removal tool that give employees.

Chew up some gum, stuff it in the hole and pull it back out with all the offending crude attached.

Back