Class E

Kodiak

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kodiak
I am having trouble understanding one of the question on the written about Class E air space. Does Class E cover everywhere (all U.S. air space) that is not designated as Class A, B, C, D, G? In other words, would an area in the U.S. that has no airports, airstrips, or airways anywhere near that area be a Class E control air space above 1200'? Thanks

Technically, class e begins at 14500 Msl, but in reality I don't think there's any class g above 1200 agl in us, or at least in the lower 48. Know the 14,500 for the written... pretty sure I had a question on that.

In theory, if nothing is close, g surface to 14,500 msl, e to 18000, a to 60000, then e again to the edge of the known universe. There used to be a couple spots like that in s. Dakota, but last time I looked I couldn't find them anymore. There's probably a couple spots in they mountains if you really want to look.

If you go to YouTube, and search "class e airspace fly8ma", a good video on that will pop up, if videos help. I would post the link, but I am not allowed to post links yet!

Class E = everywhere! That explains it. I had a note that I had taken that was wrong. I had watched the fly8ma free series, but had forgotten his explanation.

fly8ma's video on becoming a pilot and starting out with local commuter airlines was most interesting. If you goal is to become an airline pilot, don't watch it. It was quite revealing about what you will go through daily for little pay and trouble with maintaining personal heath.

I listened through that entire Flying 101 course on Youtube at work sometime last year, and there is a lot of good stuff in there, especially for someone brand new to aviation! I am actually about to go find out how effective it was - I am taking my written soon (!), and his videos and the FAA handbooks were my home-study prep course/ground school.

I don't know if I will make it to airline pilot, at least for a while (does anyone know where money grows on trees for the picking? ;) ), but I dickered a lot with myself before I decided -consummate researcher that I am - that I wanted to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. I don't know if I just don't learn, or if I am crazy, but I would probably still take that job if ever I am in that position... Definitely very informative, though!

Technically, class e begins at 14500 Msl, but in reality I don't think there's any class g above 1200 agl in us, or at least in the lower 48. Know the 14,500 for the written... pretty sure I had a question on that.

In theory, if nothing is close, g surface to 14,500 msl, e to 18000, a to 60000, then e again to the edge of the known universe. There used to be a couple spots like that in s. Dakota, but last time I looked I couldn't find them anymore. There's probably a couple spots in they mountains if you really want to look.

The huge swaths of Class G that used to be charted in MT, ND, & SD were all eliminated with the creation of the Powder River MOA Super-complex.

I don't know if I will make it to airline pilot, at least for a while (does anyone know where money grows on trees for the picking? ;) )
apparently there's a nice crop of money trees on the grounds of the Capitol building here in Washington, but you need a single letter after your name to pick them.

apparently there's a nice crop of money trees on the grounds of the Capitol building here in Washington, but you need a single letter after your name to pick them.

:D Too bad about the required credentials!

Had another thought to confuse myself. Class E is (said to be) everywhere. Does this also mean below 1200 feet outside of controlled air spaces?

Had another thought to confuse myself. Class E is (said to be) everywhere. Does this also mean below 1200 feet outside of controlled air spaces?

I don't believe so. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that if it is not otherwise designated as controlled, it is class G until 1200', at which point it becomes class E.

Uh, no. Above 14,500 used to be the "Continental Control Area". Immediately below that could be class G between airways. Now, class G tops out at 700 or 1200 AGL in the lower 48, all E above to 18,000. I think. Here's the definitive resource:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/JO_7400.11D.pdf

From the document you linked:

6000. General.
Generally, if the airspace is not Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D, and it is controlled
airspace, it is Class E airspace. Class E airspace extends upward from either the surface or a
designated altitude to the overlying or adjacent controlled airspace. When designated as a
surface area, the airspace will be configured to contain all instrument procedures. Also in this
class are Federal airways, airspace beginning at either 700 or 1,200 feet above ground level used
to transition to/from the terminal or enroute environment, and enroute domestic and offshore
airspace areas designated below 18,000 feet MSL. Class E airspace does not include the airspace
18,000 feet MSL or above.

6001. Class E Airspace at and above 14,500 feet MSL.
Included in the Class E designation is the airspace extending upward from 14,500 feet MSL to,
but not including 18,000 feet MSL overlying: the 48 contiguous States including the waters
within 12 miles from the coast of the 48 contiguous States; the District of Columbia; Alaska,
including the waters within 12 miles from the coast of Alaska, and that airspace above FL 600;
excluding the Alaska peninsula west of long. 160°00'00"W., and the airspace below 1,500 feet
above the surface of the earth unless specifically so designated

I agree that the 14500 definition is obsolete, so did the dpe during my oral. But there was still a question about it on my written.

From the Pilot/Controller Glossary:

UNCONTROLLED AIRSPACE− Airspace in which
aircraft are not subject to controlled airspace (Class
A, B, C, D, or E) separation criteria.
Also, under the heading of controlled airspace:

5. CLASS E− Generally, if the airspace is not
Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D, and it is
controlled airspace, it is Class E airspace. Class E
airspace extends upward from either the surface or a
designated altitude to the overlying or adjacent
controlled airspace. When designated as a surface
area, the airspace will be configured to contain all
instrument procedures. Also in this class are Federal
airways, airspace beginning at either 700 or 1,200
feet AGL used to transition to/from the terminal or en
route environment, en route domestic, and offshore
airspace areas designated below 18,000 feet MSL.
Unless designated at a lower altitude, Class E
airspace begins at 14,500 MSL over the United
States, including that airspace overlying the waters
within 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48
contiguous States and Alaska, up to, but not
including 18,000 feet MSL, and the airspace above
FL 600.
VFR charts depict where the various floors of class E airspace are.

Last edited:
"Class E airspace extends upward from either the surface or a
designated altitude to the overlying or adjacent controlled airspace."

Definitely answers it. Thanks

There is some G from surface to 14.5 in West Texas. Big bend area. E 14.5 to 18 then FL60 and beyond

9ba87cf0aab6eb7db1fb4b20133e60c6.jpg

Class E 1,200 feet (AGL) and up unless you’re in an area of one of those pretty colors.

Just that easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having trouble understanding one of the question on the written about Class E air space. Does Class E cover everywhere (all U.S. air space) that is not designated as Class A, B, C, D, G? In other words, would an area in the U.S. that has no airports, airstrips, or airways anywhere near that area be a Class E control air space above 1200'? Thanks

It is that simple. In the US there is A, B, C, D, E and G. There is almost no G above 1200 AGL anymore. There was a few years ago but it’s gone now. There is a piece that goes up to 14,500 down by the Big Bend in Texas. There is some in Alaska to.

It is that simple. In the US there is A, B, C, D, E and G. There is almost no G above 1200 AGL anymore. There was a few years ago but it’s gone now. There is a piece that goes up to 14,500 down by the Big Bend in Texas. There is some in Alaska to.
There's still this one in New Mexico.
Clipboard01.png

There is no such thing as Class E outside of Controlled Airspace. It IS Controlled Airspace.

A large area extending off shore up the entire east coast.

There's some 14500' Class G in some of the mountainous parts of Central California.

Yup, there it is.

I make a point of flying through that little bit of class G whenever I am out that way. There used to be some very peculiar slivers of G up to 14.5k in Arizona but they were eliminated about a year ago.

Back