Cirrus steps up to the plate

And for the record, I'm a redneck that drives a Ford F250, owns and arsenal of guns and drinks whiskey. I can see myself owning a CIrrus in the next 2-3 yrs.

soooooooo......this means you're going to get drunk, take a bunch of guns, plow your truck through the airport gates, and steal a Cirrus? :)

...while the owner squeals like a pig

Last edited:
It's a funny thing with pilots and flying. Everyone loves their brand which is fine but I think flying is the only thing I have come across where not only do other peoples' brands suck but also they are doing it wrong. Most of my other hobbies are music, homebrewing, programming so maybe it is because those aren't type A things. Flying has this underlying competition that a lot of other things don't seem to have. I am fairly competitive at the office because there are wins and gains there. In flying you don't win anything for being righter than another guy.

Hmm. You haven't been around gun people, ski people, truck people... I can think of all sorts of hobbies that do this.

Also in every case, the "dislike of the other brand" crap is intensified online. In real life it's nearly imperceptible. Online it's a ****-show.

See -- Oshkosh. Even the most dyed in the wool brand loyalist isn't going to start a fistfight in a group talking airplanes in person.

Aviation people don't see each other at airports as much as they used to. Even when I started flying there were only 800,000 U.S. pilot certificates with matching medicals, now there's 500,000.*

So the aviation world LOOKS like a bigger ****-show because it's almost all online interaction. And certainly not as much in person time as other hobbies.

Hell, part of that is we've turned most of the airports into minimum security prisons for what? Some jackass unfounded fear about "terrorists"? I could do more damage with a drone and some thermite landed in the right spot, for a lot less money and time invested than screwing with stealing a light aircraft.

And let's go one step further about airport changes... SCREW the fancy FBOs who would NEVER want ten pilots sitting around on their Ethan Allen furniture on a Saturday talking airplanes for hours, spilling coffee on their perfect little "taupe" carpet and leaving tattered copies of Trade-A-Plane laying disheveled around noon when the gang goes flying for a bit.

Yeah, we all hung out at the airport in a double wide that served as the ops building, meeting place for all, and dispatch counter and that was as fancy as it got, when I started. That rickety old place and the entire airport are closed and dead now.

* Jokes that I ran off 300,000 pilots... approved. :)

And for the record, I'm a redneck that drives a Ford F250, owns and arsenal of guns and drinks whiskey. I can see myself owning a CIrrus in the next 2-3 yrs.

Uh oh.... buy a Cirrus and you might lose your redneck card.... :lol::lol::lol:

I almost lost mine when I moved out of Texas...:yesnod:

soooooooo......this means you're going to get drunk, take a bunch of guns, plow your truck through the airport gates, and steal a Cirrus? :)

...while the owner squeals like a pig

Well if you'd answered yes, I was going to ask if we are cousins and if I could join you.

but after the purty mouth comment.....

I know we're cousins!

Well if you'd answered yes, I was going to ask if we are cousins and if I could join you.

but after the purty mouth comment.....

I know we're cousins!

I thought we might be

x74PESO.jpg

Head to KAUO on game weekends. I'll take you up and let you handle the stick.[/QUOT

This is why he hasn't given me a ride, knowing a Bama fan ain't gonna step in all that cow duky in Awwwbern. ROLL TIDE!

th

Gosh...we're all pilots...why all the character assassination? Probably a mistake to start this thread with "Cirrus haters". But how about just facts:

1. Easy to Fly? - An early myth: "Cirrus planes can fly in any weather and are easy to fly" has been busted. Fact is, Cirrus planes are not easy to fly, but they feel easy to fly. This resulted in horrendous early stats. Does anyone still believe that a slick, fast plane with avionics as complex as some airliners is as easy to fly as a 172?

2. Fatality Rates - Cirrus fatality rates are now among the lowest in GA, if not now the lowest (new stats soon). This is in spite of the fact that Cirrus planes are faster.

3. Early Training - Early on, Cirrus stepped in and upped the anti on training due to a horrendous and worsening safety record. The result: A steep decline in accidents. We now know the Cirrus can be tricky, but now we train for it.

4. Remaining Problems - There have been incidents in Cirrus with CFI's who drank the "easy to fly" Kool-aid and thought they didn't need specialized training. The results in some cases have been disastrous.

Cirrus can be one of the most dangerous planes in the air or the safest. Do the factory transition training and you're in the safe category. I commend Cirrus for offering this free training continuing to bust the myth that Cirrus is easy to fly.

For me, safety matters even more because of where I fly. All other things being equal, I'd be flying a Saratoga. But when I look down at the So Cal urban-ness, mountains, and ocean, I am thankful I have good training...and the option of the 'chute if all else goes wrong.

I also love and dearly miss 172's, 182's and mostly PA32's. It's all good, guys and gals. Let us be thankful we have options and let's hope that the current "regime" in DC doesn't hand over our rights to the airlines so we can continue to enjoy our freedom to fly!

Last edited:
Only on POA can a post announcing free training lead to a 7 page argument. First time I ever heard anyone say that training was something other than a good thing. I would have loved free training when I transitioned into new types.

Only on POA can a post announcing free training lead to a 7 page argument. First time I ever heard anyone say that training was something other than a good thing. I would have loved free training when I transitioned into new types.

Not sure I heard a single post say training wasn't a good thing.... it's a great thing. Maybe I missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still haven't figured out where I'll get my RV-10 transition training. Do you think Cirrus will do that?

@MauleSkinner I think we have to give them a little more credit on this one than saying it's "just marketing". Offering real training isn't something that's only designed to make sales. I think they know their Marketing is slightly dangerous when it hits the crowd that thinks it can use a single as an "always get there" traveling tool, and they're at least taking a stab at keeping those folk alive.

Not taking anything away from Cirrus. This is a constructive move on many fronts, including safety.

They know it does not do them any good when an injury/fatal accident happens in their airplanes (I'm excluding successful CAPS deployments from the definition of accident).

They also know that buyers of a used Cirrus will often turn into some of the best prospects to buy a new(er) Cirrus in due course, and they are trying to bring them into the fold and make a durable connection (nobody leaves The Family? :eek: ). When their share of the new piston single market is only 300ish new planes a year, every single prospect becomes important.

Last edited:
Try buying one and be all excited about it on this board. Then see if your opinion changes. All other boards I posted to when I bought it were 100% supportive. I encountered a few asshats that turned me off of this board. Hence my first comment.

Oh my. :rofl:

Be thankful you aren't part of the Mo and Bo crowd. Seems to me we dish out just as much unrelenting grief to them and their weird-tail airplane's. :ihih:

I love my cirrus. And when it is in the hangar at night, while your not watching, the other airplanes try to sleep with it. It's that sexy.

But what will the offspring look like? :eek:

A vintage V-tail mates with your Cirrus, and we get a throw over sidestick?

Last edited:
@Sac Arrow check out :58 - 1:08 and monkey lovers enjoy the first coupl'a frames at :00

I've never been the biggest fan of the piston Cirrus airplane's, but there is no arguing either the sales or the safety numbers.

Their continuous improvement culture is impressive. A couple of anecdotes from OSH:

a) I want to see Mooney succeed just as much as anyone else in GA. But the fit and finish of the Mooneys on display at OSH looked like a first generation Cirrus. Contact cement showing on the painted surfaces all around the weather seals, a new pilots door that just doesn't close properly unless it's treated "just so", upholstery that is trimmed and glued along the edges instead of being rolled and tucked under (some of it was already starting to come unglued and peeling). None of these change the enviable and legitimate flying quality reputation Mooney enjoys. But none of it is going to help sell a lot of $800,000+ airplanes for them either - not if buyers comparison shop down the road at the Cirrus store.

b) Maybe I am a bit strange, but one of the reasons I have never coveted a piston Cirrus is they strike me as being a bit too perfect. I have never been attracted to perfect vehicles; even during my competition sports car days I was drawn to cars that had some quirk to their handling, some unique aspect to their personality. That's why I find most Toyotas exceedingly boring vehicles...they are just too perfect with a bland personality as a result. But I saw a Cirrus at OSH that changed my mind, without even flying it. The new Cirrus jet just might be the most thoughtfully designed light personal airplane ever. Starting with the brilliant entrance configuration for the pilot and passengers (the Piper Malibu designers and quite a few others with pressurized cabins could learn a thing or two from Cirrus), the airstair door that closes like a bank vault and without the assistance of a sales rep (yes, Mooney, I'm talkin' about you), the immaculate fit and finish inside and out, the foolproof, pilot-cannot-cook-the-engine-ever automated engine start, the integrated autopilot/chute system to deal with the deployment speed issue, the quiet external noise print (there were numerous takeoffs from 09-27 that I got to witness from the N40 during the week), and a host of other things. I was just blown away by what a fantastic job the company has done on this product (No, I did not talk to any of their sales people, so no kool-aid aftertaste). No difficulty understanding why Cirrus has a multi-year order book for their jet. It's not a Gulfstream (and I have flown in more than a few of those) but imo they hit the step-up-from-a-high-performance-piston market segment target dead center - if you own an SR-22T, and you regularly fly it above 20,000 ft, among other things you are going to hate that mask forever if you get a chance to make just one trip in their jet. Don't tell the spouse and kids...

Last edited:
Oh my. :rofl:

Be thankful you aren't part of the Mo and Bo crowd. Seems to me we dish out just as much unrelenting grief to them and their weird-tail airplane's. :ihih:
WHAT?
All I hear is worship and praise!

Back