Circuit Breakers

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
73 Challenger/Archer with extensive avionics upgrades. I have the pop-out only style circuit breakers. With all the changes to the avionics, I can't use the original Piper Documentation for which CB goes to which item. One of the labels is worn off and I have it narrowed down to a couple items.

My question, is there some way to get the breaker open so I can see if what I think it's connected to loses power with the current interrupted at the breaker?

IMG_0440.JPG

If you can get behind the panel, short the breaker output to ground with a clip lead. Check that it popped out and then see what is no longer working.

An interesting side question would be, “What’s wearing off the labels there?”

Shouldn’t be anyone touching them, unless someone is dragging their finger across the label when checking all the breakers are in.

Kinda odd, isn’t it.

Doesn’t look like anything avionics related is on the top bus. What’s the book show there?

Those two spots (between FUEL PUMP and STALL WARNING) are blanks in the stock cherokee. I'd be looking at something added on (avonics or whatever).

From the photo, it actually looks like the original lettering is still there, under some blackout tape. Left one looks like ANTICOLLISION LIGHTS. Doesn't mean that the original labeling is correct though...

Pretty extensive avionics upgrades before I bought it. Missing component I can think of is the nose landing light and also missing an AP breaker. Anti Collision is the partially legible one, think nose landing is right next to it and AP might be where it's labeled "Spare". Pretty sure I have a way to diagnose with a multimeter.

Just FYI, STC installation instructions often don't say anything about sharing breakers with other equipment

The installer did a pretty good job of noting CB connections on the installation invoices, which I got with the plane's documentation. Just don't have the exact location. Typical note XXX wired to the avionics bus with a Y amp Breaker. Just not the location.

Back