CHT Gauge-Fix Cheap or Start Over

Alex Morris

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Froggy
1973 172M. Has a CHT gauge (analog style) that the previous owner said had not worked for a very very long time. The probe (supposedly on the #3 cylinder) 4-cyl Lyc E2D is disconnected I think as it was Inop for so long no one bother reconnecting. How hard is it troubleshoot/replace the analog CHT gauge and/or cylinder probe to get a reading back on this gauge. I'd very much like to have a 4-cylinder engine monitor in the plane which will cost a grand or more to buy and install but for now I'm just looking to get a halfway decent reading on one cylinder. Any ideas for anyone who's fooled with the simple setup with one-cylider CHT?

With some research I expect you can learn the electrical characteristics of a thermocouple and determine if the problem is the gauge or the sensor. Either of them are inexpensive as compared to a monitor. At that point, your budget dictates the answer. A properly functioning CHT gauge would be sufficient.

I agree. Can you offer any info regarding the two components? My first question would be does the thermocouple require DC voltage and then connects to the gauge with a second pair of wires? Perhaps is it the other way around: does the gauge get voltage and then has a pair of wires to the thermocouple? How does the thermocouple attach to the cylinder? Thanks for any help and sorry for my questionings.

Back