Christmas Toys You Wish You Still Had

H8897-L248476767.jpg

I probably have more hours on one of these than a real airplane. I managed to find a decent one on fleabay a year or so ago:

20191211_191529.jpg

The toy I really wish I could get, but is too rare and valuable is "Clyde's car crusher". It had little molds that you could put a sheet of aluminum foil into and they would press out the body of a car. Then you could smash the "cars" in the crusher. Such a great toy. My parents hated it because I always wanted to play with it, and they were too cheap to let me destroy that much aluminum foil.

@Jim K i have a black Tonka Twin. That was my A Team air support, special ops airborne plane, charter, bomber etc. Gear retracts and props spin. Enough room for one 80's plastic GI Joe or Star Wars action figure to fly while the other manages weapons and they both could jump out on target while the plane magically landed safely elsewhere (or they'd jump out to fight just before the plane has a fiery crash). I love that thing! I have to check where that is.

any of my models (including the visible V8) - especially my Saturn V and shuttle.

And who can forget Major Matt Mason and his Space Crawler?

mattel-1967-6.jpg

Looking through the toys in this thread, it struck me that some of them were rather cleverly engineered, especially considering they were designed in the era of blackboards and slide rules.

Cool story about the history of the U-Fly-It toys, complete with video of Johnny Carson landing one on the aircraft carrier on the Tonight Show.

I was wondering why I did not have one of these, but it came out when I was in late HS.

I still have 1 GI Joe packed away somewhere, along with the pilot option. My first GI Joe lost a leg in a tragic parachute accident.

I have a bunch stored, but never kept them in their box. Most are in great shape. Have the jeep ... used to have the single seat yellow hellicopter from the early 70's.

I have fond memories of a sackful of green army men and a BB gun. Now that’s Christmas....

Oh man that brings back memories. We've always lived in the desert so backyard landscape wasn't an issue. Water the dirt and then build 2 foot "mountains" with deep tunnels formed sticking your entire arm into the mountain to form the cave. Paint soldiers different helmet colors ... always place "yourself" as a crawler in the back of one of the tunnels. Me and my brothers alternated BB gun shots taking out each others soldiers ... we were allowed three wrist rocket sling shots and if you collapsed the cave with the crawler, that brother was eliminated.

This game eventually got banned when my father found out we could buy true M-80 fireworks from Juarez Mexico that packed a HUGE punch ...

I still have the American Flyer train set that my brother and I got in the late 1950s. It's in a box somewhere in the garage.

Back