• Something else to consider

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
For the last several years we have done an aged prime rib bone in for Christmas dinner. Wondering if this year we should do the prime rib with out the bones this year.

My sons wife is a butcher and can get the bone in at cost so that is an advantage. Just wondering if it is worth the extra cost and time.

Everyone seems to enjoy the bone in dinner just wondering if we should try something different. What are your thoughts about bone in, no bone or just something completely different.

Funny you should bring that up. We've been boners in the past but are going boneless this year. Made sure to order the slab of fat to go with it though.

Funny you should bring that up. We've been boners in the past but are going boneless this year. Made sure to order the slab of fat to go with it though.
Do you put the fat on top to baste as it cooks?

When we've had prime rib for Christmas it's always been bone-in. Someone ALWAYS wants to chew the meat off the bone caveman style, and after everything is said and done, we make the dog deliriously happy.

Tim
We always make a nice beef vegetable soup with the scraps

Growing up, things got wild around our house at times. Most fun Christmas was when the head count blew up due to lots of reasons. Table had ham, turkey, lasagna, tamale casserole, burgers, hot dogs and pizza, along with tons of sides. What started out as dinner for 15 grew to almost 80 people....Mom just kept pulling stuff out and adding it to the table and Dad called our favorite pizza joint, who was always open on Thanksgiving and Christmas and rand own and picked up a half dozen pizzas.

We did one, our first prime rib (bone in) last year for Christmas...I have declared it MUST be a tradition going forward! We got lucky, and bought a huge prime rib on sale at Meijer for only $110. Because we had never bought one before, we thought it was a scam that it said "75% off" and showed a normal price of $415. Now we know otherwise.
BTW, we followed a recipe from youtube, and it was not only the best prime rib I've ever had, it was quite honestly the best meal, period, I've ever had. All of our guests were amazed. I'll see if I can find the link...

We did one, our first prime rib (bone in) last year for Christmas...I have declared it MUST be a tradition going forward! We got lucky, and bought a huge prime rib on sale at Meijer for only $110. Because we had never bought one before, we thought it was a scam that it said "75% off" and showed a normal price of $415. Now we know otherwise.
We normally get a 4 to 6 bone in anywhere from $120 to $160

We normally get a 4 to 6 bone in anywhere from $120 to $160
I don't remember how many "bone", but we fed 8 people and still had leftovers for days.

I found the recipe...we used his "method 2" reverse sear.

In addition to being a built-in rack as well as a heat regulator, bones also make a nice broth after they're done with roasting duties.

But I also wanted to put in a plug for strip loin roast. It's often times much cheaper than rib roast but just about as good.

Bone in, every time. 2 reasons: you get to gnaw on one when no one else is looking, and they freeze well.

Saute some chopped onions in olive oil in a saucepan until soft, then add garlic and also add some crushed red pepper if you want and saute another 30 seconds or so or you'll burn the garlic, then add two 14 oz or one 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, and bury the leftover roasted bones in the sauce. Let it simmer, covered, for as long as it takes for the meat and connective tissues to begin to fall off the bones, then shred the meat back into the sauce and remove the bones. Let it thicken by simmering with the lid off. When it's done, you'll have an outstanding sauce to put over something like rigatoni. I made this up one day, so go ahead and make whatever changes sound good to you.

Yep, always bone in. Though I do usually cut the roast off of the bones to serve; makes it easier to carve the size slices people want at the table.

And the bones left in the kitchen make for some primo gnawing when the guests aren't watching.

Yep, always bone in. Though I do usually cut the roast off of the bones to serve; makes it easier to carve the size slices people want at the table.

And the bones left in the kitchen make for some primo gnawing when the guests aren't watching.

I wanted to make some profound post to exempiy the point, but you broke it down perfectly. I do the same thing.

If you get a roast so big that you can't cut it off with a knife I suppose you could have your butcher splay it and tie it back to the bone, but to me, that is inferior to having a true bone in.

I will say this - for the last couple of years I have been doing the high heat sear, low cook method. 400 for a few minutes then choke back to 250 until the meat thermometer reads what you want it to read. Doesn't extend the cooking time by much but it tastes so much better, and there is more wiggle room in the setting time out of the oven.

Mmm, I am Jonesing for a good prime rib right now.

I don't know, Bill.... this hasn't been a good year for you.

You aren't going to hurt yourself while cooking, are ya.?? :lol::lol:

I've only cooked it once (it turned out great). Using the advice of someone more experienced at cooking this, I had the butcher cut the bone assembly off of the roast but include it when I brought it home. I tied the bones back to the roast for cooking so I got the advantage of the flavor and the convenience of slicing/serving without the bones in the way.

I always prefer no bone, but if possible I will have the butcher slice the bone off of the roast and then tie them back on. Great compromise...

I don't know, Bill.... this hasn't been a good year for you.

You aren't going to hurt yourself while cooking, are ya.?? :lol::lol:
Billy, I agree 2020 was not my best year and 2021 has been hard. As long as I wear all my PPE I should be good to go for a bone in prime rib...:rolleyes:

I've only cooked it once (it turned out great). Using the advice of someone more experienced at cooking this, I had the butcher cut the bone assembly off of the roast but include it when I brought it home. I tied the bones back to the roast for cooking so I got the advantage of the flavor and the convenience of slicing/serving without the bones in the way.

I can't STAND it when they cut the bone off and tie it back on. I always ask for a non-deboned (is that a word? Well it is now) cut from the back if that is all they have on the shelf. It's really no big deal to cut it off after cooking. But then again I don't cook monstrously long prime ribs either.

I can't STAND it when they cut the bone off and tie it back on.
I usually cut it off the bone myself and tie it back on. You can get additional salt/seasoning between the bones and the meat. Depending on the roast, tying can also improve the shape for better heat absorption.

We do a standing bone in rib roast in a..wait for it…Ronco Rotisserie. And it is amazing!!!!

For the last several years we have done an aged prime rib bone in for Christmas dinner. Wondering if this year we should do the prime rib with out the bones this year.

My sons wife is a butcher and can get the bone in at cost so that is an advantage. Just wondering if it is worth the extra cost and time.

Everyone seems to enjoy the bone in dinner just wondering if we should try something different. What are your thoughts about bone in, no bone or just something completely different.

With a username like AK Bill I would think Moose and King Crab.

...Rotisserie...
Rotisserie standing rib roast is pretty good stuff. I used to make it back when the infrared rotisserie burner on my grill still worked. I even devised a mechanism to attach a wireless temperature transmitter to the spit in the little space between the grill cover and the rotisserie motor -- that way the transmitter spun w/ the spit away from the heat. Just typing this makes me want to fix the rotisserie again :)

Funny, this is the first year we are going to try prime rib for dinner. My wife bought the bone-off style. We're going to try the Alton Brown method of cooking at low temp, then putting it in at 500d to crisp the outside. Interesting to read about how many like the bone-in!

Funny, this is the first year we are going to try prime rib for dinner. My wife bought the bone-off style. We're going to try the Alton Brown method of cooking at low temp, then putting it in at 500d to crisp the outside. Interesting to read about how many like the bone-in!

Be careful with this method: After it's cooked, you'll have a lot of grease drippings in the pan, and then blasting at 500F can generate a LOT of smoke.

I've had better luck doing the opposite: Hitting it hard at the beginning, then throttling way back to let it finish.

They both will work, and give an excellent roast, but if you do the high heat at the end, be ready.

...but if you do the high heat at the end, be ready...
I can attest. I smoked the rib and then moved to a blazing hot grill to finish and made the mistake of walking away for one minute only to return to a gigantic ball off fire!

Will do! Maybe transfer to another pan for this part...

...Alton Brown...
I've always been a huge AB fan. One year we threw my daughter a Dora the Explorer themed birthday party. When my birthday came around, I tried to tell my daughter adults don't typically throw themed birthday parties. She would have nothing of it. On her own, and she was like 6 at the time, she threw me a Good Eats birthday complete with an AB cutout which she made. Years later, AB hosted the Taste of Charlotte. I was able to meet him and recount this story to him!

I've always been a huge AB fan. One year we threw my daughter a Dora the Explorer themed birthday party. When my birthday came around, I tried to tell my daughter adults don't typically throw themed birthday parties. She would have nothing of it. On her own, and she was like 6 at the time, she threw me a Good Eats birthday complete with an AB cutout which she made. Years later, AB hosted the Taste of Charlotte. I was able to meet him and recount this story to him!

Awesome! I'm a huge fan too! He's my go-to for anything new that I want to try. I don't always follow his flavoring style, but his cooking methods are always spot on!

I double checked ABs late sear recipe - he does say to move the roast to a clean rack and pan for the searing process.

I always choose bone-in. It just takes a little longer to cook, but those ribs are my favorite part. After the roast is done, I lower the heat and put the ribs back on for however long it takes to get them just right. I hate that it is so hard to find good beef ribs. Even in Texas, if you order ribs you are most likely to get pork ribs. Nothing against pork ribs, but they aren't beef.

But this year we are doing something different. Grilled lobster tail, shrimp-on-the-barby, fresh shucked oysters, bacon wrapped scallops, oyster stew and smoked salmon.
I think my wife is doing some other boring stuff that I guess I'll have to pretend to like, but I'll be in seafood heaven this year.

I always choose bone-in. It just takes a little longer to cook, but those ribs are my favorite part. After the roast is done, I lower the heat and put the ribs back on for however long it takes to get them just right. I hate that it is so hard to find good beef ribs. Even in Texas, if you order ribs you are most likely to get pork ribs. Nothing against pork ribs, but they aren't beef.

But this year we are doing something different. Grilled lobster tail, shrimp-on-the-barby, fresh shucked oysters, bacon wrapped scallops, oyster stew and smoked salmon.
I think my wife is doing some other boring stuff that I guess I'll have to pretend to like, but I'll be in seafood heaven this year.

Can't argue with that. No sirree.

I mean in the end I like slicing prime rib off the bone for serving, but for taste and juiciness, leaving the bone on and cutting it off in the end works best, plus, someone gets that yummy rib bone to deal with. Yeah I get the point that you can cut it off and tie it back on with extra seasoning, but, of all the prime ribs I've done over the years, the best were bone in or at least leave the butchers ties in place. Sloppily or not tied on bones just don't turn out good.

I like seasoning, but don't need so much that I need to compromise the meat bone interface.

Back