• You can have mine

Votes: 14 14.4%

• Total voters

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Father's Day traditionally brings me gifts of chocolate, as I am an avowed chocoholic. Anyone out there a chocolate snob, or does mainstream suit you just fine?

I can't make up my mind. My two current favorites are Scharffen Berger Nibby Bars and Hershey Symphony bars. Night and day. Oil and water. High wing and low wing.

LAKE CHAMPLAIN Chocolate! Bars -especially their small world bars, truffles, or chocolate coins. It can be ordered by phone or web. Even better is a visit to the factory. There's a whole area full of 'seconds'. Last time (first time) I was there, I spent close to $200.
http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/

As an aside, I've been told Lake Champlain Chocolates can usually be found in the 'better' restaurants and hotels. Guess I've never managed to stay in one of them 'better' places.

LINDT Extra Dark (either the 75 or 83%). I also like their white.

Ken Ibold said:
Father's Day traditionally brings me gifts of chocolate, as I am an avowed chocoholic. Anyone out there a chocolate snob, or does mainstream suit you just fine?

I can't make up my mind. My two current favorites are Scharffen Berger Nibby Bars and Hershey Symphony bars. Night and day. Oil and water. High wing and low wing.

Teuschers Champagne Truffes
http://www.teuscherchocolate.com/welcome.php?store=fifth

Most anything Teuschers or Lindt as long as it's dark.
http://www.teuscher.com/

http://www.lindt.com/2865/2866.asp

Just about anything at the Confiserie Sprüngli
http://www.spruengli.ch/Spruengli/EN/spruengli_firmengeschichte.php

I'll eat mainstream chocolate. Those above are my preferences though.

I have a friend who sends me some particularly good chocolate hand made in the US by a small, family outfit.

Last edited:
:p
Ken Ibold said:

Shouldn't the question be which one first? If not, the obvious answer is BOTH. B) One is main course, the other dessert.

I love it in all shapes (bunnies are fine) sizes (bigger is better) and color, white to dark. Imported, domestic, gourmet, bargain.... why limit yourself! :p

I really just don't like Hershey's chocolate - will only eat their dark chocolate. M&Ms are ok but not too many, those don't sit well with me either after a while. (i.e. little bag ok, big bag - barf).

Dove chocolate (dark) is great, never had the milk chocolate.

See's didn't rock me like I thought it would.

anything from Switzerland is great.

There is a Belgian kind whose name escapes me right now. but it's fab.

I used to travel to Brussels on business a lot. Right in the Brussels airport are rows and rows of refrigerators with all kinds of Belgian chocolate and chocolate from other European countries as well. I used to bring some home on every trip. None better IMHO, but I don't remember the brands.

woodstock said:
M&Ms are ok but not too many, those don't sit well with me either after a while.
I was eager to try the dark chocolate M&Ms, but was verrrrrrry disappointed. The chocolate is dark, sort of, but the candy coating makes them taste almost exactly like regular ones. Wasted calories.

Anthony said:
I used to travel to Brussels on business a lot. Right in the Brussels airport are rows and rows of refrigerators with all kinds of Belgian chocolate and chocolate from other European countries as well. I used to bring some home on every trip. None better IMHO, but I don't remember the brands.
Yeah, those Belgians do know how to make chocolate!!

Ken Ibold said:

Oh dear.

Majani Chocolates, from Bolgona. Fiat Noir is to DIE FOR. Especially best sitting on the Bolognese Duomo's Piazza, eating chocolate, drinking a doppio espresso, and smoking a Diplomatico's # 2.

Cacao Chocolates, from Kittery, ME. Recovering attorney gave up law to make chocolate. Holy christmas what alchemy comes from her kitchen. White chocolate (shut up you chocolate snobs!) truffle with a strawberry and balsamic infused liquid ganache and topped with cracked black pepper. Curry, cardamom, and vietnamese cinnimon with curried walnuts in a dark chocolate shell. Or, my personal favorite - super bitters, little geodesic domes of 73% bitter dark chocolate with a luxurious center.

Shaved Schaffenberger 60% dark on top of a eagle rare infused whipped cream, topping a dish of hazelnut gelato. You don't know life till you've eaten that.

Hershey's chocoloate bits in my mom's Kaluha cake. It's not the same without Hershey's.

Mercken's dark and Cabot's Old School cheddar always make an appearance at Christmas. Last year, I broke out a bottle of Taylor '94 Port, absof'nlutely sublime with the choclate.

Chocolate can be enjoyed on it's own, but like wine, smokes, and spirits, it's meant to be enjoyed with something else.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Ken Ibold said:
Not at the same time, tho. Please!

Champagne and chocolate are quite yummy together IMHO

woodstock said:
Leonidas! that's the one I was thinking of.

Belgians are good at chocolate and beer!

Don't forget Sprouts :D

Neuhaus is my favorite Belgian. Leonidas close behind. Marcolini and La Maison do Chocolate are also good. Heck, it's hard to go wrong with good Belgian chocolate....

Oreo's dipped in milk, or better yet, chopped up in REAL vanilla ice cream. I'm a cheap date. :)

astanley said:
Oh dear.

Majani Chocolates, from Bolgona. Fiat Noir is to DIE FOR. Especially best sitting on the Bolognese Duomo's Piazza, eating chocolate, drinking a doppio espresso, and smoking a Diplomatico's # 2.

Cacao Chocolates, from Kittery, ME. Recovering attorney gave up law to make chocolate. Holy christmas what alchemy comes from her kitchen. White chocolate (shut up you chocolate snobs!) truffle with a strawberry and balsamic infused liquid ganache and topped with cracked black pepper. Curry, cardamom, and vietnamese cinnimon with curried walnuts in a dark chocolate shell. Or, my personal favorite - super bitters, little geodesic domes of 73% bitter dark chocolate with a luxurious center.

Shaved Schaffenberger 60% dark on top of a eagle rare infused whipped cream, topping a dish of hazelnut gelato. You don't know life till you've eaten that.

Hershey's chocoloate bits in my mom's Kaluha cake. It's not the same without Hershey's.

Mercken's dark and Cabot's Old School cheddar always make an appearance at Christmas. Last year, I broke out a bottle of Taylor '94 Port, absof'nlutely sublime with the choclate.

Chocolate can be enjoyed on it's own, but like wine, smokes, and spirits, it's meant to be enjoyed with something else.

Cheers,

-Andrew

how much do you weigh?

and can you get Cacao Chocolates online? I'm not fond of white chocolate, at all - but it all sounds intriguing. I really like habanero chocolate fudge (just a drop - enough to let you know it is there).

woodstock said:
how much do you weigh?

A lady never tells her weight on the first date :rofl:

6'2", +/- 240 nowadays. I'm a "Gentleman of Luxurious Proportions"

and can you get Cacao Chocolates online? I'm not fond of white chocolate, at all - but it all sounds intriguing. I really like habanero chocolate fudge (just a drop - enough to let you know it is there).

I doubt it. She's pretty small. If you ever fly up to the BED area, I'll make sure I have some around to share!

She does a chipolte chocolate that is amazingly smoky and rich, and a habenero with 65% dark that is just lucious. The heat layers on with cinnamon, warmth, cream, and delicious dark toast. Has a little square of (edible) gold foil on the top, immense stuff.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I AM the chocolate snob--only dark and top drawer at that! Dark choc with a fine cabernet. hoo boy

I'm not too particular about names and brands but if it looks worthwhile, everything is game.

I seem to recall some Swiss chocolate bars a number of years ago with a Kirsch center. Wife and I split one for lunch on a train to Zurich and got quite a buzz from it. Now THAT's a chocolate bar...

Brian;

I am with you on this except for Eskimo Pies and as Diane mentioned Oreo's with Vanella Ice Cream. YUM.

John J

Ken, Ken, Ken, Ken, Ken ... it's like dancing with the devil to ask these questions. However, I must participate with my personal favorite: www.jubileechocolates.com. Hand made from local ingredients (for example, the mint is grown by kids in the local schools), and the best I have ever had. Better than See's, Teuscher, Scharffenberger -- and I've even been known to gnaw on a hunk of Vahlrona when making chocolate cookies -- but John and Kira make the very best chocolate candy, better than all the others I've tried here and in Europe. Expensive? Yes. Try it and let me know if you think it's worth it. They are based in Philadelphia, BTW.

Elizabeth

Ken Ibold said:

I responded "gourmet", i.e. I tend to be selective. But one of the better chocolates around (and one of the best buys) is Nestle's dark chips or "chunks", the stuff in the bakery section for toll house cookies. Yum! (Have it with that last glass of red wine, preferably a good pinot noir.) (Yeah, I'm a wine snob too.)

Hunter

Brian Austin said:
Can't stand the stuff. Won't eat it at all.

OK, that's wierd. Almost as silly as liking low-wing airplanes. Sheesh.

Hunter

We have a local candy factory in a small burg on the drive from our house to my parents'. Baker's Candies, not sure where they rate in the grand scheme of things, but definitely better than the regular mass produced over the counter stuff and more than good enough for my palate. Their dark chocolate mint meltaways are probably my favorite, and I'm usually not a fan of dark chocolate.

My wife is addicted to Godiva's chocolate. I bought her a little two piece box with a blue ribbon around it for a focal point when she was having Sean. She had gestational diabetes, and was sure looking forward to getting to opening that box after delivery!!

She'd dump that in a heartbeat if she'd gotten a taste of the French chocolate a co-worker brought back from Paris, but I'm not dumb enough to let her near that stuff!!

In the meantime, she's trying to convince me to buy her some Godiva Liqueur at the Wine and Spirits store. Yuck!!

I'm partial (very partial) to dark chocolate...no "schlock choc" for me! Got hooked the good stuff at Bissenger's in St. Louis http://www.bissingers.com/

Cab, Pinot, Merlot, Shiraz...how can you miss?

Terra Nostra 73% cacao dark chocolate. Must not chew. Just let it melt in your mouth. Trader Joe's lately stopped carrying it, so two coworkers and I ordered 30 bars from an online retailer and split them. I don't share them with anyone.

Toby said:
Terra Nostra 73% cacao dark chocolate. Must not chew. Just let it melt in your mouth. Trader Joe's lately stopped carrying it, so two coworkers and I ordered 30 bars from an online retailer and split them. I don't share them with anyone.
Except your new friends at Gaston's...

My bride is somewhat of a chocolate afficiaonada. Her personal favorite for general consumption is Fanny May from Chicago. They went out of business a while back, but have recently resurfaced with the same recipies and processes. Alas, her health is such that she has had to reduce her chocolate intake, but I still manage to get her 3-4 milk chocolate buttercreams when I am in the area, and that makes her smile.

EA - they used to have a store in Springfield Mall (I95/I495). I am sure you know the mall. Just looked - not there any more.:( Nearest place appears to be Leesburg - next time you go to FSS....LOL

Web site for buttercreams: http://www.fanniemay.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=195&DEPARTMENT_ID=39

Back