Chinese Spy Balloon Flying Over the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
American defense is unwilling to take action against a balloon launched from a foreign country because it might cause damage. It might have hit someone, had explosives, or bio weapons on it that could have hurt our citizens. So we do nothing.

Think about what that says about us to our enemies. This was the most effective attack from a foreign nation, on the US since Pearl Harbor. I think probably even worse than Pearl Harbor.

Last edited:
American defense is unwilling to take action against a balloon launched from a foreign country because it might cause damage. It might have hit someone, had explosives, or bio weapons on it that could have hurt our citizens. So we do nothing.

Think about what that says about us to our enemies. This was the most devastating attack on the US since Pearl Harbor.
Poor airspace defense...

It was in E airspace, but probably didn't have an ADSB transponder. I wonder if the Red Army is going to file a NASA report......

What if it's in connection with one of those chinese satellites...
Certainly a possibility. Use the balloon itself to trigger a response, and use the higher-capabilty space assets to monitor the reaction.

If the shootdown was visible from the shore, that means it probably came down in US territorial waters. No issues with international law.

I'm curious about *when* they knew the balloon was there. News reports all started when it was over Montana, but wonder when the US military first noticed it. Might be a hole in the software, such as ignoring targets below a given speed to avoid triggering on birds, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

Think about what that says about us to our enemies.
That we value our citizen's lives? What a HORRIBLE thing for our enemies to find out....

Ron Wanttaja

That we value our citizen's lives? What a HORRIBLE thing for our enemies to find out....

Ron Wanttaja
Yes, we won’t shoot down a target in a controlled manner at the time of our choosing, but are willing to let some unknown party make the decision of where and when it may come down. This is a HORRIBLE message to send.

As that moron on Fox News asked “what if it had had explosives on it?”, only he meant that as a reason NOT to shoot it down. What the serious F?

Ballistic missiles might have explosives on them, I guess we shouldn’t try to shoot those down either. This approach to defense is really shocking to me.

Last edited:
I'm curious about *when* they knew the balloon was there. News reports all started when it was over Montana, but wonder when the US military first noticed it. Might be a hole in the software, such as ignoring targets below a given speed to avoid triggering on birds, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

They knew about it when it was over the Aleutians well before Montana.

Why can't we shoot to darn thing down then. When in history did a country like Russia for example allow the intrusion of any foreign flying object enter into the national airspace? Sure it is understandable that shooting it down might pose a threat to citizens...but what if its not only a weather balloon but also is something else? I find the fact that it "accidentally" strayed over here hard to believe. I would think that the people put it in flight would keep a reasonably close eye on it.
Yeah, it's not like we ever flew spy planes over Russia.

Yeah, it's not like we ever flew spy planes over Russia.
I’m sure we did over China too. And if they could have taken them out, they certainly would have. We just showed that we don’t have the will to stop a “weather balloon”, let alone a SR-72. That’s bad for us, just like it was bad for them that they couldn’t stop our blackbirds, only it’s a freakin balloon in our case.

I’m sure we did over China too. And if they could have taken them out, they certainly would have. We just showed that we can’t stop a “weather balloon”, let alone a SR-72. That’s bad for us, just like it was bad for them that they couldn’t stop our blackbirds.
What if they actually wanted us to shoot it down over a populated area?

Ummm…are you leaking classified intel from NORAD or just quoting Fox? Source?

I’m sure we did over China too. And if they could have taken them out, they certainly would have. We just showed that we can’t stop a “weather balloon”, let alone a SR-72. That’s bad for us, just like it was bad for them that they couldn’t stop our blackbirds, only it’s a freakin balloon in our case.
Until a couple of years ago, Russia could fly over our airspace with 72-hours notice under the open skies treaty. You, or a Chinese spy, could go trace this balloon's path in your plane, at much lower altitude, if you like. What could the Chinese learn from the balloon that they don't already know, other than what our response might be? And why would we want to reveal that against a benign object? We demonstrated that we could shoot it down, and we did that without endangering anyone.

And if it had explosives or bio/chem weapons, it was probably pretty benign at 60,000' much less so if it hit the dirt.

I'm pretty
Whether or not we had the means and/or the will to shoot it down ...

Complete rubbish.

I think the "we see your pointless balloon but we really don't care that much" response was excellent.

It's done a great job of riling up all the juvenile "yeehaw" lunatics though. "But muh sovereignty!!"

Think about what that says about us to our enemies.

Complete hysteria. The US no doubt saw it coming a mile off, recognised that it couldn't pose any real threat, and made it clear that they weren't going to be provoked into any kind of panic.

Letting it float pointlessly over, and then shooting it down just to point out that "yeah, we can when we want" was a much more mature response.

They knew about it when it was over the Aleutians well before Montana.

I wonder if airspace could have been cleared fast enough to shoot it down in US airspace over the Aleutians.

They had days to get ready for downing it off of Myrtle Beach.

Chinese-Spy-Balloon-Memes-5.jpeg

Close-up pictures released.

What in your quote is not common knowledge?
American defense is unwilling to take action against a balloon launched from a foreign country because it might cause damage. It might have hit someone, had explosives, or bio weapons on it that could have hurt our citizens. So we do nothing.”
I was asking for sources for the bolded parts in your statement. Please share how you know we “did nothing”

Meanwhile, as everyone is looking up to the north in the sky, a million ''immigrants'' crossed the open border between Mexico and Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Californi. by balloon

FIFY

Ron Wanttaja

I read I think it was in CNN? that they've been tracking it since Jan 28th, it went over Canada, and then entered US airspace on the 31st.

Not knowing what exactly was in the payload I would imagine that crashing into land would be far more difficult to clean up environmental hazards than crashing it into an unused portion of the sea. Would you still advocate for shooting it down over Montana if the sensors were nuclear powered or used a hazardous chemical for power? How do you think it would have played out if it was shot down and suddenly there was a 10 or 20 square mile area of contaminated soil that had to be dealt with? My guess is they determined that the risk of whatever data it was collecting was less consequential than the cleanup that might be needed if it were shot down over land. My concern is that it should have been intercepted and shot down before even reaching land in the first place. Seems that there is a hole in our ability to detect and eliminate slow moving high altitude threats before the cross over land and maybe testing those vulnerabilities was the whole purpose of the Chinese sending the balloon in the first place.

Yes, we won’t shoot down a target in a controlled manner at the time of our choosing, but are willing to let some unknown party make the decision of where and when it may come down. This is a HORRIBLE message to send.

As that moron on Fox News asked “what if it had had explosives on it?”, only he meant that as a reason NOT to shoot it down. What the serious F?

Ballistic missiles might have explosives on them, I guess we shouldn’t try to shoot those down either. This approach to defense is really shocking to me.

Ballistic missiles are a known hazard; blowing them up early might endanger some, but will save many more. Counterbattery fire in Ukraine may endanger nearby civilians, but the threat of the enemy artillery is definite.

But we didn't know, this time.

At some point, we need to trust the intelligence community. Did the intelligence community have ANY inkling that this contained a threat beyond the passive one (e.g., pieces of the object braining someone)? In 2020, the US paid something like $85 BILLION dollars to gather information on what the bad guys were doing.

I'm guessing...because I don't know...that the Intel community had no indication that the balloon itself was a physical threat. Unless it dropped on someone. With that, why take the risk?

After all what threat could the balloon pose that COULDN'T be done by the hundreds, if not thousands, of ground operatives the Chinese have here? Want to spread a biological agent? Pass dispensers out to your crew, and let them stash them in dumpsters. Want to blow up a bridge? Park an old van loaded with ANFO under the abutments. Want to take pictures? Park across the street and take out your Iphone, or rent a 172 and fly overhead. Want to collect electronic intelligence? Rent an apartment and set up your gear.

All easier, cheaper, more reliable, and more covert than sending a single balloon careening overhead in sight of God and everybody.

But of course, between the spies and the trigger pullers is the political establishment. I suspect the intel community told the executive branch that the balloon posed no risk other than the potential of falling on someone. POTUS decided to wait until that risk was past, THEN sent in the trigger-pullers.

Sends the wrong message? Perhaps. But I am reminded of the Hollywood producer who was once told that a proposed movie would send a great message. "I tell stories," he said. "If I want to send a message, I use Western Union."

After all, once it was leaving US territory, it no longer posed a threat. The Chinese were never going to recover it; couldn't claim that we destroyed their equipment. But *as* it was leaving our airspace, the military swatted it down like an errant boy to a fly. In sight of citizenry, no less. The message is, "We could have shot it down anytime, but didn't figure it posed a real intelligence threat, and wanted to protect our citizens from potential harm."

Ron Wanttaja

If we accepted the premise that is was a harmless weather balloon why shoot down once is basically off our coast and heading out to sea.

Proving we can is a pretty lousy show of force. Govt caving to the saber rattlers??

If we actually thought it was a threat it would have been shot down before it hit the west coast.

the whole timeline is just plain weird.

News reports saying balloon was shot down by an AIM-9 sidewinder missile.

Question for POA members with knowledge of such things; would a balloon present an adequate IR source for a sidewinder to lock on and guide to?

Separately, would a balloon possess a large enough mass for the missile’s proximity fuse/TDD to detect and detonate the warhead?

Question for POA members with knowledge of such things; would a balloon present an adequate IR source for a sidewinder to lock on and guide to?

Separately, would a balloon possess a large enough mass for the missile’s proximity fuse/TDD to detect and detonate the warhead?
:confused: It's a pretty small balloon so kind of ify

Modern Sidewinders can also be slaved to a radar lock

Last edited:

Highly unlikely, especially if the envelope was the POI. Gun track is the Rx for this stunt, if the hardware if of more interest. But I'm just a fighter LARPer long removed from the SCIF, so don't take my word for it. My Mark-1 observation of the video lends me to believe guns guns guns is the prize on this one.

Ok, send one A10 with a Gattling gun and a few rounds or shot a half million dollar missile? Footage doesn’t look like 60K altitude, although size can make a difference I suppose. A10 service ceiling 45K.

Last edited:
Ok, send one A10 with a Gattling gun and a few rounds or spend a million dollar missile? Footage doesn’t look like 60K altitude.
Now that may be a little more difficult. In addition to not being a dedicated air-to-air platform, the A-10 has no radar capability with which to achieve a radar lock. It would be a purely visual task for the pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back