Votes: 32 39.5%
  • Just the leftovers

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Never

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
I traveled to China in 1983 as a tourist. ONLY Chinese food.

Most of the tour were ethnic Chinese from Hawaii. They could not wait to get to Hong Kong (our last stop) to eat "real Chinese food." :D
Hong Kong food is the best!

Haha

I prefer Chinese but Thai is close behind. Also, Thai food is very fatty, too much coconut milk.
But less stir fry oils. That is one of the reasons I prefer Vietnamese food to Chinese food. More fresh, leafy greens and less fried foods. Or at least less foods fried in heavy, dripping oil.

I thought I liked Chinese food until I visited the food court area of Little China in Singapore. Turns out I probably lean more toward "Chinese" food than actual Chinese food. I wasn't brave enough to try the stuff they were selling. Also, I was solo, so no hope of someone rescuing me with meds if something went awry later.

Chinese food actually has many cuisines within it.

When in Beijing, try Peking Duck.

When in Shanghai, Dan Dan Min (peanut sauce noodles) and Xiao Long Bao (dumplings).

In Sichuan / Chengdu, spicy food!

When in Hong Kong, the BBQ pork meats are great! Ton more dishes too.

Not a fan of Chinese food. Seems like eating your lawn Including the unknow things that live there.

Chinese food is not my favorite food to eat but it is one of my favorites to watch being made.

Perhaps overseas they do it a little better, but a serious inspection of the kitchen, sanitation, and food prep practices of most Chinese eating establishments in this country might make you change your mind. It did for me ...

Perhaps overseas they do it a little better, but a serious inspection of the kitchen, sanitation, and food prep practices of most Chinese eating establishments in this country might make you change your mind. It did for me ...
You don't get to a population of 1.5billion by poisoning the food supply. :)

(...unless you start with a population of 2.0 billion, but I don't think that's the case here)

You don't get to a population of 1.5billion by poisoning the food supply. :)

(...unless you start with a population of 2.0 billion, but I don't think that's the case here)

You are attempting to prove a point from something I did not say ... :dunno:

FTFY. I've seen good and bad in many eating establishments in this country no matter which ethnicity was running it.

FTFY. I've seen good and bad in many eating establishments in this country no matter which ethnicity was running it.

No argument from me on that point but the thread is about Chinese Food ...

No argument from me on that point but the thread is about Chinese Food ...
I'm allowed to drift the thread. Any of us are. And I find few Chinese (or otherwise) restaurants have bad sanitation or prep practices.
Look up the inspection report for the restaurant. They are often posted in the window, or on the municipal web site. Walk away from those with a bad inspection report. The inspection report often tells what bad things were found.
Restaurants with poor sanitation don't last very long. Word gets out and people avoid them.
Look at on-line reviews. There's lots of information that can be correlated.

There is a Chinese restaurant that adjoins the pub I normally infrequent*. It is awesome despite being a s***hole with no encouraged interior seating since covid. I had a hankering for Chinese a few days ago. We ordered 1. Shrimp Chow Fun, and 2. Pork Chow Mein. I thought, two people, two dishes, should be fine. Maybe some egg rolls too?

There was more than enough food. The problem is that it was 99% noodles and 1% meat. I like chow mein and chow fun in small doses but not large.

Tangentially related, I just got a Ninja air fryer. So far, not happy with any Chinese recipes. Anyone?

I'm allowed to drift the thread. Any of us are. And I find few Chinese (or otherwise) restaurants have bad sanitation or prep practices.
Look up the inspection report for the restaurant. They are often posted in the window, or on the municipal web site. Walk away from those with a bad inspection report. The inspection report often tells what bad things were found.
Restaurants with poor sanitation don't last very long. Word gets out and people avoid them.
Look at on-line reviews. There's lots of information that can be correlated.

I'll just say that believing what you see on the government reports and what I've witnessed can sometimes be drastically different. But I'll leave it alone. Enjoy ...

Always out of the container because I’m lazy and don’t want to dirty up one of my plates:)

There is a Chinese restaurant that adjoins the pub I normally infrequent*. It is awesome despite being a s***hole with no encouraged interior seating since covid. I had a hankering for Chinese a few days ago. We ordered 1. Shrimp Chow Fun, and 2. Pork Chow Mein. I thought, two people, two dishes, should be fine. Maybe some egg rolls too?

There was more than enough food. The problem is that it was 99% noodles and 1% meat. I like chow mein and chow fun in small doses but not large.

So, you ordered noodle dishes and are upset, because they are noodles? :D

Actually more like real Chinese food. Many cultures outside the US do not eat a lot of meat.

So, you ordered noodle dishes and are upset, because they are noodles? :D

Actually more like real Chinese food. Many cultures outside the US do not eat a lot of meat.
No, I like noodles. Just not in large quantities. The M to N ratio was much lower than it is in similar Chinese restaurants.

I have eaten a lot of real Vietnamese food - as in places where the locals eat and not western tourists. Although rice, and rice noodles are a staple, they really don't eat all that much of it.

I'll just say that believing what you see on the government reports and what I've witnessed can sometimes be drastically different. But I'll leave it alone. Enjoy ...
And that's why I mentioned on-line reviews as a confirming dataset. People just don't read anymore.

No, I like noodles. Just not in large quantities. The M to N ratio was much lower than it is in similar Chinese restaurants.

I have eaten a lot of real Vietnamese food - as in places where the locals eat and not western tourists. Although rice, and rice noodles are a staple, they really don't eat all that much of it.
That's what I see too when I'm in Asia.

Not my experience. In Vietnam, a lot of noodles, a lot of veggies, and small amount of meat.

Similar in other Asian cultures. Japanese with fish tend to eat the most meat.

Back