Child Support nightmare from hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We found some papers that state from 2005 - 2010 I paid 10,000 in child support. This is counting tax with holdings. But not counting the 10 grand check my daughter received from disability.

We also found eight different times I went to court between 2007-2010 trying to get this to stop.

I am still paying today. Killing the x does nothing. Its not the x who is doing this. It's the state.

The state should pay big time. I am not stopping until they do. I have nothing better to do then fight this fight.

Tony

And what were the outcomes of these appearances? Were you represented by counsel?

And what were the outcomes of these appearances? Were you represented by counsel?

No council. I was luck to have a roof over my head at that time. The outcome they kept charging me child support. I am still paying today. My daughter is 29 and has a child of her own.

But now I have the evidence needed when at this time or back then, I did not. Thanks to the nice lady at the states attorney's office who gave me this.

She was very upset when she saw someone went against a Judges order. She said you can not do this..Well Da.

Tony

It's hard to believe that this went on for 10+ years and you didn't spend an hour with a competent divorce attorney...

It's hard to believe that this went on for 10+ years and you didn't spend an hour with a competent divorce attorney...

Oh I had a divorce attorney when I went through my divorce. My x fired her attorney then used mine. She would call him sometimes 7 or eight times guess who got the bill. No way I would call him for anything today. I am not paying that man one more penny.

The fist eight or so years of 2000 I was in really bad health. I spent my time either in bed or the hospital.

Oh I had a divorce attorney when I went through my divorce. My x fired her attorney then used mine. She would call him sometimes 7 or eight times guess who got the bill. No way I would call him for anything today. I am not paying that man one more penny.

OK, I'm calling BS.

...and a related question... How much did you spend on hobbies over that ten years?.... or are these someone else who uses a matching user ID? That person...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBmulDVYZU Two weeks ago posted the video of the first flight of his homebuilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9lMoigbwvI Apparently sold this airplane for $5500 (see comments underneath), end of 2013

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/search.php?searchid=12974377 Prop balancing video on POA (also on EAA forum) showing his other airplane

More on youtube.com, of course....

Edit...and before anyone gets in a huff about asking a personal question... the question is directed to the OP, who opened his personal finances for discussion.

Last edited:
Former State Resident Given Formal Apology by Illinois Division of Child Support Enforcement.
by Amanda Wilson
The Illinois State Supreme Court has ordered Guy Hastings, Director of Child Support Enforcement, to send a formal letter of apology to a former Illinois state resident who was forced to pay $9000 more in support than ordered. Paul Laird, now a resident of Washington state and a former resident of Strasburg, IL, has said he will make a written statement in a few days. The Court also ordered DCSE to pay him almost $150,000 in punitive damages.
The pertinent facts are not in dispute. Mr. Laird was ordered to pay $400/mo in child support in 1985. Kankakee County records indicate Mr. Laird had voluntarily overpaid his account by May, 1991. That is when his troubles started.
Mr. Laird was forced to take a medical leave of absence due to Multiple Sclerosis. He presented Illinois DCSE doctor statements and 7 requests for temporary reduction from November 1991 through May, 1993. He was never answered by Illinois DCSE and they now admit that he did send the request and that those requests were ignored. They also admit Mr. Laird never missed a payment.
A suit was filed by DCSE in November, 1993 to modify the child support award. Mr. Laird was never notified of this hearing. The department received a default judgment increasing the support amount to $800. DCSE admits Mr. Laird was never notified of the new amount.
The amount was reduced in 1996 back to the original $400 figure. DCSE continued to count the extra $400 from November 1993 to October, 1996 as child support arrears. They garnished his wages, filed liens against him, reported him to credit bureaus and continue collection thought taking his IRS refunds. Mr. Laird filed suit in 1996 against DCSE and specific employees within that agency. The Appellate Court awarded him almost $60,000 in January, 1998. That judgment has been paid.
The State's Attorney of Champaign County filed charges of malfesciance of office against three DCSE employees - Karen Breaker, Linda Richardson, and Barbara McCloud. Breaker and Richardson were also tried on perjury, falsifiction of records, and theft. McCloud was found not guilty in November, 1998. Breaker plead guilty to the charge of perjury and falsification in a plea bargain. Ms. Richardson was found guilty on all counts and sentenced to 18 months in prison. All three lost their jobs with
Illinois DCSE.
This is only the first of 8 cases against the Champaign office. In the most recent case a custodial mother received child support payments 9 months after the father made payments through the court. The father in this case was prosecuted for non-payment and was found not guilty when he presented receipts and cancelled checks. A check by the Auditor's office revealed a practice by the Champaign office of putting support checks in a hidden fund to draw interest for the state. That case has been merged with 7 others in a class action lawsuit. It is scheduled to be heard in April, 2000.
Governor Ryan and his cabinet were unavailable for comment. This reporter has verified that the governor urged DCSE to settle this case out-of-court and that Mr. Hastings refused. DCSE director Hastings also had no comment.
Because the state was found to have acted fraudulently in his case, the Supreme Court had to rule on punitive damages.

Find Paul Laird's lawyer and call him/her. He or she already knows what hoops need to be jumped through.

The fist eight or so years of 2000 I was in really bad health. I spent my time either in bed or the hospital.

How in hell would YOUR lawyer take her calls? Conflict of interest, anyone?

I didn't say call the same lawyer, I meant ANY lawyer; the minute you got the runaround and was told "someone" reopened your case.

How in hell would YOUR lawyer take her calls? Conflict of interest, anyone?

I didn't say call the same lawyer, I meant ANY lawyer; the minute you got the runaround and was told "someone" reopened your case.

When I found out last week this happened, the first thing I did was start calling attorney's.

Don't you mean TWO with wings? Or did you sell one of them?

No not yet. Waiting for spring to relist it. But its going so I do not count it. I only fly one.

But as to the other question. I fly small single seat go no where style airplanes. I fly just to get away from earth. I care not if I only go two miles from my airfield. That is about as long as I can sit in one anyway. But its fun and I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much. I will go into this office the very first thing Monday Morning.

I have the divorce decree, I also have the judges order closing this case. Along with the 13 months of over payments receipts. I also have paper work showing the case was reopened.

The state needs to pay for what they have put my wife and I through because of this child support and pay big time. They put us through hell.

Did you ever go to court and get an order ceasing child support when your daughter turned 18 (I am assuming this was the south in your case). In Illinois you apparently have to get an affirmative court order placed in records to cease liability. A former business partner didn't and he had to pay. In my situation, I had my lawyer file a motion before my daughter turned 18 to stop support and it was ordered by the judge. Support payments stopped then.

Did you ever go to court and get an order ceasing child support when your daughter turned 18 (I am assuming this was the south in your case). In Illinois you apparently have to get an affirmative court order placed in records to cease liability. A former business partner didn't and he had to pay. In my situation, I had my lawyer file a motion before my daughter turned 18 to stop support and it was ordered by the judge. Support payments stopped then.

Yes in 2005 I went to court and the judge stopped this. This was what the states attorney's office was shocked over. She said a judge closed this case and someone reopened it. She was very upset about this.

Like I said 250 grand is not enough for all the hell I have gone through. I want justice.

Yes in 2005 I went to court and the judge stopped this. This was what the states attorney's office was shocked over. She said a judge closed this case and someone reopened it. She was very upset about this.

Like I said 250 grand is not enough for all the hell I have gone through. I want justice.

If you want to collect for damages, you'd better lawyer up and go to work. Unfortunately, you're not going to get anywhere without a good lawyer who knows the laws in your state. You might not even get anywhere with a good lawyer.

Personally, my first step would be to recover the excess funds I'd paid in to the system. You might be able to accomplish that administratively, possibly without a lawyer, IF you have your ducks in a row and approach the bureaucracy at the right point. If you have an elected representative at the state level, someone in his/her office might be able to get the ball rolling for you. But again, you'd better have all of the appropriate information at hand. How much you paid, when your daughter "aged out", etc.

If you intend to pursue free or reduced-cost legal assistance (Land of Lincoln Legal Services, for example), you will be asked to list your assets. I urge full disclosure, and not the logic you use to claim you only own one airplane. LOLLS receives both State and Federal funding, and under-reporting could turn your civil issues into criminal fast enough to make your head spin.

If you want to collect for damages, you'd better lawyer up and go to work. Unfortunately, you're not going to get anywhere without a good lawyer who knows the laws in your state. You might not even get anywhere with a good lawyer.

Personally, my first step would be to recover the excess funds I'd paid in to the system. You might be able to accomplish that administratively, possibly without a lawyer, IF you have your ducks in a row and approach the bureaucracy at the right point. If you have an elected representative at the state level, someone in his/her office might be able to get the ball rolling for you. But again, you'd better have all of the appropriate information at hand. How much you paid, when your daughter "aged out", etc.

Oh I have it all. I have tried to stop this. I can not even get the support stopped. Again this month I will be making another payment to child support. Again this year the state will want 350 bucks for maint. fee's.

I went to every agency or department and was shuffled to the next, then the next. The child support enforcement office won't help me because my case was closed in 2005. The shuffled me to another department, then another, then another. All admits my case is closed but I am still paying. No one wants to step up. This is how I ended up at the States attorney's office. They shuffled me to this office after the circuit clerks. They know someones is in deep crap and no one wants to admit to doing this.

But I still pay for a child 29 years old on a case that has been closed. All departments tell me its been closed. The states attorney office says it was opened and sent me the paper work showing it was closed then a year later someone opened it again.

All I can tell you. I am still paying child support on a child that is 29 years old and has a child of her own.

Last edited:
If you intend to pursue free or reduced-cost legal assistance (Land of Lincoln Legal Services, for example), you will be asked to list your assets. I urge full disclosure, and not the logic you use to claim you only own one airplane. LOLLS receives both State and Federal funding, and under-reporting could turn your civil issues into criminal fast enough to make your head spin.

Well da. They would know or see titles. But these are not worth much and the only thing I own besides my 20 year old car. But I am willing to donate 25% after costs of anything I receive to them, if they were to help me. I would do this for anyone that would help me. Out of what I receive I would give 25% to anyone who will help me fight this. After cost..attorney's fee's.

Oh I have it all. I have tried to stop this. I can not even get the support stopped. Again this month I will be making another payment to child support. Again this year the state will want 350 bucks for maint. fee's.

I went to every agency or department and was shuffled to the next, then the next. The child support enforcement office won't help me because my case was closed in 2005. The shuffled me to another department, then another, then another. All admits my case is closed but I am still paying. No one wants to step up. This is how I ended up at the States attorney's office. They shuffled me to this office after the circuit clerks. They know someones is in deep crap and no one wants to admit to doing this.

But I still pay for a child 29 years old on a case that has been closed. All departments tell me its been closed. The states attorney office says it was opened and sent me the paper work showing it was closed then a year later someone opened it again.

All I can tell you. I am still paying child support on a child that is 29 years old and has a child of her own.

Engage a lawyer or bring someone with some political clout into the matter. Otherwise, you're just on the hamster wheel.

Maybe I should just wait another 10 years and sue for a Million. I am going to contact my buddy who purchased my second airplane for me and ask him to fund this. I will offer him 25% of the settlement after cost.

I take it this child support money is going into your ex-wife's account and she is just keeping it although she is not entitled to it. There may be a criminal offense there to look into. Getting the police involved may shake something loose on another level.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Theft...

If more then 1000 dollars..

FELONY THEFT.....

The states attorney office says it was opened and sent me the paper work showing it was closed then a year later someone opened it again.

Does this "someone" have a name? If it was me, that would have been the next question after "Are you sh**ting me?"

Does this "someone" have a name? If it was me, that would have been the next question after "Are you sh**ting me?"

She said she had no idea who it was. She gave me the files that show this. It just says reopened and gives the date it was reopened of 2006 and a month. This also show the date of 2005 and month when it was closed and the Judge that closed it.

She said she had no idea who it was. She gave me the files that show this. It just says reopened and gives the date it was reopened of 2006 and a month. This also show the date of 2005 and month when it was closed and the Judge that closed it.

Seems to me if a judge has to close it... It should take a judge to re open it.....

Seems to me if a judge has to close it... It should take a judge to re open it.....

That is what she said. It takes a judge to reopen this and someone went against a judges order.

That is what she said. It takes a judge to reopen this and someone went against a judges order.

Ummm... have you contacted the State Attorney General's office? Raise some hell.

Ummm... have you contacted the State Attorney General's office? Raise some hell.

No after being shuffled all around and finding out the info I did. I started looking for help. It will take more then me to fight this.

No after being shuffled all around and finding out the info I did. I started looking for help. It will take more then me to fight this.

Again, call your state representative's office and have them make the phone call to the appropriate agency. Even better, visit your state representative's office and get them on the case. They have staff which is there to help constituents with exactly this kind of problem.

Do you know for a fact your Ex received the money? I would guess that someone in some office somewhere MIGHT have set this up to rip you off and pocketed the money. You do need to get some legal help and perhaps politician help.

Are you sure you aren't just paying arrears? Those don't cease when the child reaches 18, or 29. They cease when they are all paid off. It doesn't sound like you were paying very much in between all those years of disability and whatnot, especially if you only paid $10k over the course of 2 years. That's certainly not enough to support a child, and it's hard to believe that's all your obligation would have been. Exactly how much per month were you supposed to be paying per month up until the child turned 18?

Are you sure you aren't just paying arrears? Those don't cease when the child reaches 18, or 29. They cease when they are all paid off. It doesn't sound like you were paying very much in between all those years of disability and whatnot, especially if you only paid $10k over the course of 2 years. That's certainly not enough to support a child, and it's hard to believe that's all your obligation would have been. Exactly how much per month were you supposed to be paying per month up until the child turned 18?

Great question.....

And......

First post..

Welcome to POA...
:cheers::cheers:

None of this makes sense. I think that there is a lot more to this story than we are hearing. :dunno:

I have papers from 2010 that show I only owed 48 bucks in back child support. But that is not correct for my child support stopped in 2005. In 2006 when the case was reopened I was one year behind according tot he paper work. A judge closed this case. How can I be a year behind in 2006. I did not pay any thing into this until 2007 when I received disability. So now I am two years behind on a case that was closed but reopened. Then my daughter received $8900.00 check. I found the copies sent to me from SS telling me what she was getting. None of that 8900 bucks was applied to child support. But I owed nothing the case was closed in 2005. I was up to date in support on that date.

But that really matters not for I do have a paper from child support telling my I owed 48 bucks. They have taken thousands since I received that letter. But if one was to audit this account one will see I am tens of thousands of dollars over paid.

I will not be fighting this for a while. My back went out getting dressed. I can hardly breath or sit here and type this. This will have to wait.

Tony

I have papers from 2010 that show I only owed 48 bucks in back child support. But that is not correct for my child support stopped in 2005. In 2006 when the case was reopened I was one year behind according tot he paper work. A judge closed this case. How can I be a year behind in 2006. I did not pay any thing into this until 2007 when I received disability. So now I am two years behind on a case that was closed but reopened. Then my daughter received $8900.00 check. I found the copies sent to me from SS telling me what she was getting. None of that 8900 bucks was applied to child support. But I owed nothing the case was closed in 2005. I was up to date in support on that date.

But that really matters not for I do have a paper from child support telling my I owed 48 bucks. They have taken thousands since I received that letter. But if one was to audit this account one will see I am tens of thousands of dollars over paid.

I will not be fighting this for a while. My back went out getting dressed. I can hardly breath or sit here and type this. This will have to wait.

Tony

Hmmmm.

None of this makes sense. I think that there is a lot more to this story than we are hearing. :dunno:

I bet people told Paul Laird the same thing.

My child is 29. Even if I owed back child support. After all these years don't you think it would be paid off by now?

I could post the proof I have but I am not doing this. But believe me when I say I have all the proof to prove this case in my favor. The state owes me thousands just in back child support. Not to mention the punitive damages.

Tony

P.S. I have my daughters marriage license from when she was married at age 19. I also have paper work from the state giving her married name as the person I am paying child support for.

Last edited:
I bet people told Paul Laird the same thing.

My child is 29. Even if I owed back child support. After all these years don't you think it would be paid off by now?

I could post the proof I have but I am not doing this. But believe me when I say I have all the proof to prove this case in my favor. The state owes me thousands just in back child support. Not to mention the punitive damages.

Tony

I can't figure out why you let this go on for 10 YEARS....:confused::confused:.......:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back