Chicago Eliminated

BEER-SUMMIT-large.jpg

understocked.png

To veer back to the original topic, can we change the title to "Chicago Rubbed Out". It just seems so much more appropriate.

BTW, you think beach volleyball will be held on a nude beach? :D

It does. It is called "Coors Light." Nectar of the gods.

That is NOT beer, that is cold ****-water.

Now a Sam Adams, or Shiner Bock, or Anchor Steam...THOSE are beers!

That is NOT beer, that is cold ****-water.

Now a Sam Adams, or Shiner Bock, or Anchor Steam...THOSE are beers!
Shiner bock good beer. It was the only reason I would go to Texas but now I have found a source, on tap, in Illinois. No reason to ever have to go to Texas again....well unless I want to visit the best Elvis themed Mexican restaurant in the country.

Thanks Harry, that does gives some perspective.
(I think they should all refrain from getting involved in such things, I don't see that as their role as country leaders)

I'm glad Rio got it but...
  • The Olympics are being held August 5-21, 2016
  • Rio is south of the equator
Wouldn't that make them the winter olympics?:goofy:
After all, it will be winter in the southern hemisphere...
It also probably doesn't make much difference there either...

I'm glad Rio got it but...
  • The Olympics are being held August 5-21, 2016
  • Rio is south of the equator
Wouldn't that make them the winter olympics?:goofy:
After all, it will be winter in the southern hemisphere...
It also probably doesn't make much difference there either...

Winter

The "winter" months in Rio are considered to be July, August and September. However, during this time It never really gets cold. This period also has the least amount of rainfall of the year. Although it rarely gets cold in Rio, a cloudy or rainy day can be a bit chilly to be out on the beach. On the other hand, a sunny day will be very nice to lounge on the beach and take in the sun and terrific scenery. For this reason, the beach is really an option all year long in Rio. During this time of the year, average high temperatures are around 75 Deg. F (25 Deg. C).
Sounds perfect!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g303506-s208/Rio-De-Janeiro:Brazil:Weather.And.When.To.Go.html

Golly, gee, what to do with "Olympic Island," now?

Maybe, say, build an airport there...

Aww rats. I got all happy when I read the subject line...

... and then I found out that you just meant for the Olympics. Rats!

I wonder what the cost of that trip was in actual operating cost, dollars?

a chartered 757 for First Lady - $$?
Air Force One for President - $$?
I think I recall that security, vehicles, etc all add up to something like 3 C-130s to support a Presidential trip?

And the above questions really are aviation related, no?

Last edited:

I think I recall that security, vehicles, etc all add up to something like 3 C-130s to support a Presidential trip?

No...

Ok, so let me re-phrase the questions ...

What is the full operating cost for a 757 to fly Dulles/Sweden R/T?
What is the full operating cost to fly AF1 on the same route?
What is the full operating cost to fly 3 C-130s on the same route, assuming that my info was correct, and those are required support equipment?

Ok, so let me re-phrase the questions ...

What is the full operating cost for a 757 to fly Dulles/Sweden R/T?
What is the full operating cost to fly AF1 on the same route?
What is the full operating cost to fly 3 C-130s on the same route, assuming that my info was correct, and those are required support equipment?
It probably cost about the same as 3 trips to Crawford, TX.

or one week at Martha's Vineyard?

Um, no. That's a lot closer. :p :rolleyes:

FWIW, IIRC it's a single C-17, not 3 C-130's, that travels with AF1 to carry all the support equipment (the motorcade, sometimes Marine One, etc).

And here I thought this was a thread about the Cubs and the 2010 word series :D

Golly Gee Whiz
Let me see, the Big O has been on vacation to The Grand Canyon, Martha's Vineyard,Camp David and now Sweden in his first year(actually ,what? 9 mo.) When I got my first real job I had no experience either, but my employer didn't allow me even one week of vacation in the first year.
How times have changed.
SNL had a nice spoof on the Big O, so far for all the campaign promises a Big Zero on any of them, it would have been hilarious if it wasn't so true.
Let's hope he settles in to the job soon. I've got a lot of friends who would like to get back to work soon, a few who would like their kids back from Iraq and Afganistan.Kinda like to see our economy recover a little, so I won't have to work till the day I take the big dirt nap.:yesnod:
My prediction, the Big O will be in Rio at the Olympics on vacation in 2016,waving to the crowd from the cheap seats.
Also, didn't everyone else in the country feel a little left out, was Chi town the only place to consider? Maybe a little to obvious of a conflict?
I know,I know, next stop "Spin Zone"

Golly Gee Whiz
Let me see, the Big O has been on vacation to The Grand Canyon, Martha's Vineyard,Camp David and now Sweden in his first year(actually ,what? 9 mo.) When I got my first real job I had no experience either, but my employer didn't allow me even one week of vacation in the first year.
How times have changed.
SNL had a nice spoof on the Big O, so far for all the campaign promises a Big Zero on any of them, it would have been hilarious if it wasn't so true.
Let's hope he settles in to the job soon. I've got a lot of friends who would like to get back to work soon, a few who would like their kids back from Iraq and Afganistan.Kinda like to see our economy recover a little, so I won't have to work till the day I take the big dirt nap.:yesnod:
My prediction, the Big O will be in Rio at the Olympics on vacation in 2016,waving to the crowd from the cheap seats.
Also, didn't everyone else in the country feel a little left out, was Chi town the only place to consider? Maybe a little to obvious of a conflict?
I know,I know, next stop "Spin Zone"
Yes, and you might wanna take a look at 43's vacation schedule his first year in office. Make 44 look like a workaholic.

Yes, and you might wanna take a look at 43's vacation schedule his first year in office. Make 44 look like a workaholic.

Why? Again...it was wrong then so it is OK now?

Seriously...not baiting but if so much was 'wrong' with President Bush and the way he did things, should not President Obama be doing it differently?

Or do we just get to circle jerk around saying "well he did it so it is OK for my guy to do it"?

Let me see, the Big O has been on vacation to The Grand Canyon, Martha's Vineyard,Camp David and now Sweden in his first year(actually ,what? 9 mo.)...
Has Obama been to Sweden? We're not talking about Copenhagen, are we?
When I got my first real job I had no experience either, but my employer didn't allow me even one week of vacation in the first year.
The previous President made 77 trips to his ranch in Crawford, TX, and 149 trips to Camp David. Add these up, and Bush wound up either in Camp David or Crawford about every other weekend.
... was Chi town the only place to consider? Maybe a little to obvious of a conflict?
The USOC chose Chicago as the US bid city back in 2007, and it was selected by the IOC as one of the 4 finalists in June of 2008.
-harry

Seriously...not baiting but if so much was 'wrong' with President Bush and the way he did things, should not President Obama be doing it differently?
The previous President spent nearly a third of his Presidency at either his ranch or at Camp David. How many days has the current President spent in a similar manner? If the current President spends a fraction of the time on "vacation" as his predecessor, wouldn't you characterize that as "doing it differently"?
-harry

Why? Again...it was wrong then so it is OK now?

Or do we just get to circle jerk around saying "well he did it so it is OK for my guy to do it"?
Actually the question is if it was ok then why isn't now?

There is a new found self righteousness being heard from a certain group. It is as if there are two rule books, one for one group and another that the first group demands others to live by.

Last edited:
The previous President spent nearly a third of his Presidency at either his ranch or at Camp David. How many days has the current President spent in a similar manner? If the current President spends a fraction of the time on "vacation" as his predecessor, wouldn't you characterize that as "doing it differently"?
-harry

Presidents shouldn't get a vacation. I rarely take any, and they work for me. They all suck.

Maybe the vote would have gone the other way had our leader gone to the right country...
He was warmly received, I'm not sure why it didn't seem to impact the vote:

swedishchef.JPG
obama.jpg

-harry

There is a new found self righteousness being heard from a certain group. It is as if there are two rule books, one for one group and another that the first group demands others to live by.

So true, the scope of corruption being foisted on us now is making that eminently clear!

Throw 'em all out, and require in-depth instruction on constitutional law for all newly-elected MCs.

I don't like Obama either, I'll skip the reasons here so as not to take this to SZ, but I do think it would be cool to have a beer with the POTUS, no matter who it is. He'd have to drink something much better than a Bud Light (which I believe is the beer he chose - showing some love to his Union friends in Southern Illinois/St. Louis) if I were around, though. :)

He could have shown some love for the Goose Island brewery of Chicago and had a much better beer.

I would have thought it was hilarious if he chose Colt 45.

Back