Chicago Eliminated

EppyGA

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Let's Fly
Chicago has been eliminated from consideration for the 2016 Olympics.

refreshing to see that the IOC is not impressed (and possibly repulsed) by large displays of star power.

Chicago has been eliminated from consideration for the 2016 Olympics.

Ha! Now the criticism of Obama can shift from, "paying back his cronies in Chicago" to "Obama's policy ineffective in stimulating the economy." :rolleyes:

Trapper John

Guess those conspiracy theories were wrong...

I am completely baffled as to why our president is even involved in such an exploit! Someone explain it to me! Even if we have to take it to SZ, I need to know.
Havin a beer on the White House Lawn, now this! Seems very unprofessional to me.
Or we could be civil and keep it here on the main board.
Can I expect to see him on a TV ad soon?

I am completely baffled as to why our president is even involved in such an exploit! Someone explain it to me! Even if we have to take it to SZ, I need to know.
Havin a beer on the White House Lawn, now this! Seems very unprofessional to me.

I'm curious, because I hadn't heard about it:

Do you have a reference for the beer drinking on the whitehouse lawn thing?

I'm curious, because I hadn't heard about it:

Do you have a reference for the beer drinking on the whitehouse lawn thing?

you dont remember the beer summit with skip gates from harvard and the police officer that arrested him?

you dont remember the beer summit with skip gates from harvard and the police officer that arrested him?

Somehow I don't. How did I miss that?

edit: Oh. Yeah, that's right. Did they ever get together to drink a beer?

Yess!

1) I don't like Da Mare
2) Someone posted the venue locations in another thread- out into Wisconsin? We don't want such a humongous TFR!

BEER-SUMMIT-large.jpg

apparently biden doesnt drink so he had some fake beer

apparently biden doesnt drink so he had some fake beer

That's what I meant. Biden's a smart man!

You know what, I don't like Obama, but I still think it would be awesome to have a beer with the POTUS. I'd even give him a cheers!

That's what I meant. Biden's a smart man!

You know what, I don't like Obama, but I still think it would be awesome to have a beer with the POTUS. I'd even give him a cheers!

And in a suit no less!!

It's probably Heineken.

{insert 'stirring pot smiley' here}

:D

why does that make biden smart?
I'm guessing it's so he can look like one of the 'cool kids'. You're not a red-blooded American guy if you don't drink beer...

I didn't know that Biden doesn't drink. :dunno:

I am completely baffled as to why our president is even involved in such an exploit! Someone explain it to me!
Because it has apparently become a "thing" for heads of state to go do sell jobs for their candidate host cities. Putin and Blair gave similar pitches, and were given credit for their country's past wins.
-harry

I don't like Obama either, I'll skip the reasons here so as not to take this to SZ, but I do think it would be cool to have a beer with the POTUS, no matter who it is. He'd have to drink something much better than a Bud Light (which I believe is the beer he chose - showing some love to his Union friends in Southern Illinois/St. Louis) if I were around, though. :)

Two different things. But in the corporate world, it would be called micromanagement by the chief executive.

yea, beer with the president would be cool, no matter which president.

Actually, I do have a legitimate question - when we hosted the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996 and Salt Lake City in 2002 (is that right? I don't recall exactly), did the POTUS at the time that the IOC decided the venue go make a pitch for us to get it? At the risk of sending this to the SZ, I would think that the POTUS has much more important things to do than use taxpayer money to go lobby for this to take place here.

Two different things. But in the corporate world, it would be called micromanagement by the chief executive.

Sending the big boss on a dog and pony to help seal a deal is hardly rare in the corporate world...

Trapper John

refreshing to see that the IOC is not impressed (and possibly repulsed) by large displays of star power.
How do you know that is what was the reason for being voted out?

You don't think it might be something more related to the lack of suitable stadiums, housing, and transportation plus the difficulties in obtaining travel VISAs to the USA?

Brazil, which is a favorite, will be hosting the World Cup just a couple years prior to the 2016 Olympics and is already building those facilities. There has also never been an Olympics in South America and that is a big plus. They are jsut plainly a stronger choice than Chicago.

Last edited:
How do you know that is what was the reason for being voted out?

You don't think it might be something more related to the lack of suitable stadiums, housing, and transportation plus the difficulties in obtaining travel VISAs to the USA?

Brazil, which is a favorite, will be hosting the World Cup just a couple years prior to the 2016 Olympics and is already building those facilities. There has also never been an Olympics in South America and that is a big plus. They are jsut plainly a stronger choice than Chicago.

exactly, other venues are more appropriate and the IOC didn't let the "star power" of the Obamas and Oprah overshadow that.

why does that make biden smart?

My understanding is that he has a lot of alcoholism in his family, and his choice to refraid from drinking alcohol is to avoid having similar problems himself.

Any man that recognizes the possibility for a problem and then acts to avoid it is smart in my book.

Actually, I do have a legitimate question - when we hosted the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996 and Salt Lake City in 2002 (is that right? I don't recall exactly), did the POTUS at the time that the IOC decided the venue go make a pitch for us to get it?
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-02/sports/sp-637_1_olympic-games
...President Bush today made a pitch for Atlanta to host the 1996 Summer Olympics and promised not to let politics intrude...

Bush greeted several members of the International Olympic Committee.

"I don't want to put the hard sell on anybody, but I feel very strongly about it, and I also believe it is very good for the Olympics to . . . come to the United States right often," Bush said....
Sounds fairly low-key, though, doesn't it? And this happened in Atlanta. I think some of the difference came with a ban on the IOC members visiting the host cities, so now the pitch jobs have to come to them.

In any case, this appears to be how it's done these days:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/02/olympics.2016/index.html
...Spain's King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and Spanish President Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero was planning to push the case for Madrid, according to the Madrid 2016 bid committee.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was expected to be joined by soccer legend and Brazilian native Pele as they advertise the benefits of a Rio Games.

Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama, just two weeks into the job, also planned to be at the vote to demonstrate the government's full backing of the Tokyo bid, the bid committee said...
-harry

I assume Biden is drinking near bear?

That's pretty damned funny right there, actually. I can imagine them all saying "yep" a la King of the Hill.
Biden drank ginger ale.

pete your statement is illogical. it assumes that a better beer than Michelob Golden Light actually exists.

Back