Chevy Truck, Confirm/Dispel my "finding"

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
So, I have a 2011 Chevy 1500 Silverado with a 5.3L engine. Hate it. It's not 1/2 the truck my 2002 Chevy is. One major issue is that the mileage was supposed to be in the 21/17 range and I'm lucky to get 16/13.

Then when I fill it up, I'll always put 1/4 to 1/2 gallon more in it than the computer says I used. So the mileage is worse yet...double whammy.

But it think I figured out why.

I filled up yesterday and put over 2 gallons more in it than the computer indicated had been burned. What changed last week is that I "warmed it up" at length almost every day because we have a foot of snow on the ground and had two mornings with lows around -15dF.

So, my theory is that the "computer" only counts gas burned when the truck is in gear...it doesn't count gas burned in park. That would also explain why it's typically off by a fraction of a gallon because I tend to leave it running when I run into the post office or convenience store (small town bad habit).

Does anyone know if the computer shuts off in park?

Most on board computers simply suck. Dodge is also well known for bad calculations. I "fixed" the problem in mine by installing a GPS that allows me to enter fuel use. But sitting and idling will always make your mileage look like crap.

The on board computer is nothing but another marketing tool for the manufacturer in most trucks.

But sitting and idling will always make your mileage look like crap.

Not if the computer doesn't count that fuel burn! ;)

Edit: BTW, my computer is typically pretty accurate...or should I say consistent. The 1/4 to 1/2 gallon I describe above has been quite consistent...until yesterday. And if that 1/2 gallon additional is due to idling then, considering my fill-ups are typically in the 25 to 30 Range, they make little difference in the mileage, less than 1/2 mpg.

Last edited:
Fill truck up, set trip odometer to zero. Drive truck, when refilling with gas, divide miles driven by fuel put in.

I've done this for years and never relied upon on board computers.

Fill truck up, set trip odometer to zero. Drive truck, when refilling with gas, divide miles driven by fuel put in.

That's the way I do it also. On the truck I have now, I kept up with this over the first 1,200 miles or so, which I felt gave me a very good indicator of the gas mileage I would get overall with the type of driving I do.

The 06 Dodge Ram 3500 computer I had read as high as 45 mpg when its injectors were leaking. It really didnt get much over 14 mpg in actuality.

My 05 Chevy 3500 gets from 10 around town to 14 max unloaded on the highway.

On the Ram series, we calls them lie-o-meters.

On the Ram series, we calls them lie-o-meters.

I agree, not even close. I have a 2011 RAM 1500. Love the truck, but the mileage sucks. I have Ram Cargo boxes and they are full of tools though so I carry a load around. 12 city, 17 highway at best. :rolleyes2:

I am looking into the new diesel half tons coming out. I love diesels, just hate the ride of the 2500's. Too rough for me anymore. The Ram 1500's ride like a Caddy, very smooth and comfortable.

One major issue is that the mileage was supposed to be in the 21/17 range and I'm lucky to get 16/13.

If you're idle that much, doesn't surprise that your mileage is that low.

You need to "baby" any truck to get the advertised mileage.

I agree, not even close. I have a 2011 RAM 1500. Love the truck, but the mileage sucks. I have Ram Cargo boxes and they are full of tools though so I carry a load around. 12 city, 17 highway at best. :rolleyes2:

I am looking into the new diesel half tons coming out. I love diesels, just hate the ride of the 2500's. Too rough for me anymore. The Ram 1500's ride like a Caddy, very smooth and comfortable.

So you're saying you need a girly truck? ;)

I believe Ram is building a really good product now. However, the jury is still out on the 1500 diesel IMO. Check the price of an oil change for example. Who knows how the parts prices will run since they are mostly all still under warranty. That and the fuel price delta is a killer for diesels now. I am getting 16-20 out of my pre-emissions duramax, but it is about the same as a gas truck would get in terms of fuel dollars.

There are so many variables especially with trucks. What's the rear end ratio? Is the truck a 4x4? What tires are on it? What sort of driving? is there ethanol in the gas?

I have a 2012 f-150 4x4 with the 5.0 and 3.73 gearing. I can get 20 highway out of it if I drive it just so on a long trip. 18 is more reliable. Town/city driving is more like 15.

I hate all the new trucks with their double cabs and 4 doors they have morphed into a joke to meet cafe standards. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/04/is-the-regular-cab-pickup-doomed.html

Regular cabs just don't sell well anymore, I might sell 5% regular cabs, 25-35% extended cabs and 60-65% crew cabs. People just don't buy them to work out of as much as they used to and if they do, they want to take their friends and co-workers with them. :D I would bet almost half the extended cabs we sell are to people wanting crew cabs, but either they can't afford it, or it won't fit in their garage! :D

I hate all the new trucks with their double cabs and 4 doors[/url]

Another bah humbug moment...

Our company has 3 pickups - 2 Chevy's and 1 Ford. They are all extended or crew cab because we need somewhere secure to lock up equipment. We need an open bed, and some stuff fits in the back seat that doesn't fit in the tool box.

We work some really remote sites, hundreds of miles from our office, and at times not long ago paying 4.50-5/gal was common in the sticks. The choice between taking the F150 getting 22 mpg on the highway or the cargo van we have that gets 13 mpg on a good day is easy.

There are so many variables especially with trucks. What's the rear end ratio? Is the truck a 4x4? What tires are on it? What sort of driving? is there ethanol in the gas?

I have a 2012 f-150 4x4 with the 5.0 and 3.73 gearing. I can get 20 highway out of it if I drive it just so on a long trip. 18 is more reliable. Town/city driving is more like 15.

Mine is the Dodge 3500 4x4 dually with the six speed manual and 4.10 rear end with the Cummins HO variety of computer tuning and an aftermarket computer that overrides that anyway, and upgraded injectors. Heh.

Worrying about fuel mileage is an exercise in futility. :)

Hell, doing 75 is almost an exercise in futility. 85 is pushing it too hard. :) :) :)

It gets a consistent 16 in town and 17.5 on the highway unloaded, and 10 pulling the big trailer. 8 in mountainous terrain if I have to downshift all the time.

Not enough time doing it to know what it gets pulling the dual axle enclosed cargo trailer rated for 10K, but I've never had that trailer full. Heaviest it's ever been is either the time the Miata was in it or the tractor.

Wind load on both trailers, since they both have massive frontal area, is huge. A good headwind will knock off another mile per gallon of diesel.

1st gear when unloaded is completely unnecessary. 4x4 LOW range is also well beyond ridiculous with the 4.10. If I ever need that ... Well I can't think of why I'd need that. Ha.

I hate all the new trucks with their double cabs and 4 doors they have morphed into a joke to meet cafe standards. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/04/is-the-regular-cab-pickup-doomed.html

Haha. You do have to admit that the Dodge Megacab is cool in that the rear seats are literally, recliners. Hahaha.

I couldn't give up the bed space though. I can drive the Yukon when I need a four seat rolling Barcalounger.

That truck has better seats in it than I had furniture in my first three apartments, the starter condo, and the first house until about four years after we bought the house. Haha.

4x4 LOW range is also well beyond ridiculous with the 4.10. If I ever need that ... Well I can't think of why I'd need that. Ha.

My Exploder has 4.10 ratio and limited slip. I just use LOW for control in terrain or hillside mud. I have gotten it stuck, about 22" of snow will do it, the darn thing just won't plow.

Gas mileage? what's that?

edit: I did use LOW pulling a CJ-4 out of a mudbog. The kid driving the jeep didn't know what he was doing and had inadvertently bumped the hi/low box into neutral. I pulled him out without the jeep doing a darn thing.

Last edited:
I believe Ram is building a really good product now. However, the jury is still out on the 1500 diesel IMO. Check the price of an oil change for example. Who knows how the parts prices will run since they are mostly all still under warranty. That and the fuel price delta is a killer for diesels now. I am getting 16-20 out of my pre-emissions duramax, but it is about the same as a gas truck would get in terms of fuel dollars.

Have you heard one? They sound hilarious. The little turbo sounds so CUTE! ;)

My brother has the latest Ram 2500 top of the line. This thing is ridiculous. It even has heated rear seats! :eek: The build quality of Rams has increased dramatically and it is hard to beat the cummins.

I myself don't care about gas mileage. I bought a 2014 Ford Raptor and handed it straight over to a performance shop who turned it into an 800HP beast. Mileage is absolutely atrocious not even 10 mpg and I don't care :D

My brother has the latest Ram 2500 top of the line. This thing is ridiculous. It even has heated rear seats! :eek: The build quality of Rams has increased dramatically and it is hard to beat the cummins.

I myself don't care about gas mileage. I bought a 2014 Ford Raptor and handed it straight over to a performance shop who turned it into an 800HP beast. Mileage is absolutely atrocious not even 10 mpg and I don't care :D

Pictures?

With my 96 Suburban, I feel lucky getting 12 to 14 mpg. The 05 Tahoe is probably 15 to 17. And the computer is a gallon off on fillups. The GPS connected via bluetooth doesn't stay connected to be useful.
On the other hand, I would rather be driving my tricks than a compact. I usually get full size or SUVs for rentals.

I have two 2011 GMCs. One 1500 2WD and one 2500HD 4WD. I like both. They start and run fine as long as I put gas in them. MPG? I couldn't care less.

I farm but no more diesels for me. It's stupid. Unless you're hitched to a trailer all the time and pulling over the mountains, you don't need it. The newer gas trucks with their transmissions and computers can do it.

Diesel is $5000.00 premium for the engine. Fuel is $1.00/gal. higher. It holds sixteen quarts of oil, two batteries, the filters are all twice as expensive. Injector pumps .. forget it. And they stink and clatter.

Just for the premium for the engine alone, you can fuel a gas truck for a long long time.

I hate all the new trucks with their double cabs and 4 doors they have morphed into a joke

Hear! Hear!

I'm just Harry Homeowner, but I use my truck as a truck. Don't want a sedan with a large open trunk that makes a short bed truck look like it hauls a lot. Dirt, gravel, lumber, firewood, trash, tree & bush trimmings, furniture, boxes, etc., even my riding mower for time to time.

King cabs are great. My current truck is regular cab, next will be king. 4-door crew cab? Only if it belongs to work, and I need to haul a work crew around. Don't even like 4-door cars. WON'T BUY NO FOUR-DOOR TRUCK!!

Not really interested in Ford's aluminum bed, either; the back end is light enough already, to say nothing of dealing with aluminum--corrosion, hard to finish properly, hard to paint, not as durable, etc. No thanks.

So you guys don't need this? :)

6cd63d94e7f1a3f5cdee749b9eb773d7.jpg

Somebody's got serious penis envy. I just like a plain Jane truck. Fly under the radar, ya know?

MPG is based off of 55mph highway speeds, correct?

I'd be surprised to see anyone actually believe any of the numbers posted on vehicles for sale.

I'd be surprised to see anyone actually believe any of the numbers posted on vehicles for sale.

Trucks are not tested by the agency that puts the mileage numbers on cars, so whatever you see on the sticker is pure fiction from the manufacturer. Always been that way.

I knew there was a reason I can't find any regular cabs around here. I just didn't know why. Now that I know I guess it doesn't surprise me.

The reason is more likely low demand, at least with Ford, we can get all the regular cabs we want.:D The regular cabs are almost exclusively plain white work trucks.

Last edited:
Boy, this thread is stereotypical PoA if there ever was one. OP asks question "A". All respondents go off on tangents and question "A" is completely ignored.

To refresh everyone's memory, here's the question:
So, my theory is that the "computer" only counts gas burned when the truck is in gear...it doesn't count gas burned in park. <snip>
Does anyone know if the computer shuts off in park?

But, to respond to the various blovatings:

I've done this for years and never relied upon on board computers.

This one is a captain obvious statement if there ever was one! And, yes, I manually calculate gas mileage to double check the computer (and the computer is accurate for the amount of fuel it shows used) but it has nothing to do with original question.

If you're idle that much, doesn't surprise that your mileage is that low.

Again, a statement that completely extraneous to my question. But, an average V8 engine burns about 0.5 to 0.75 gallons per hour of idling. I let my truck idle about 30 seconds when I get the mail from the post office. I let it idle about a minute (two on the outside) when I run into the convenience store to grab a cup of coffee and flirt with the cute girl. And, from my original post, you'll see that the mileage my computer says I'm getting doesn't take into account the amount of fuel used while idling (at least that's my theory and question).

You need to "baby" any truck to get the advertised mileage.

Actually, I do pretty much, as I tend to leave the "instantaneous MPG" up on the screen to remind me what heavy acceleration does to MPG. But, again, has nothing to do with my question.

No, the standards changed in 2008 and vehicles are now tested at higher speeds under more "real world" conditions. Before that they simply ran laps around a perfectly flat track at 55mph (a track in SW Ohio that I've flown over many times BTW). But, again, has nothing to do with my question.

My recent Toyotas and Subarus (two of each) have all gotten as good or better than the window sticker in everyday "normal" driving. But, again, has nothing to do with my question. My 2002 Chevy truck with the 4.8L (4.7L?) got window sticker mileage until ethanol hit the scene. Then it dropped a bit over 10% because (presumably) the 2002 engine wasn't tuned for ethanol. But, again, has nothing to do with my question.

Trucks are not tested by the agency that puts the mileage numbers on cars, so whatever you see on the sticker is pure fiction from the manufacturer. Always been that way.

From what I can find this morning with my Google fu (however bad that is), this is not true. Light trucks are tested just like cars. Heavy trucks, however, are different. But, regardless, again, has nothing to do with my question.

So, does anyone care to actually take a stab at my original question? ;)

As an aside, I agree with those who hate 4 door trucks with little bitty beds. My 2002 is a standard cab with an 8' bed, my 2011 is a stretch cab (the smallest version with suicide doors) with an 8' bed. Put a toolbox in a 5.5' bed and you no longer HAVE a bed.

Last edited:
I made my post as a way to compare what you were seeing on your computer versus what the computer was telling you.

Apparently it's not what you were looking for, hence the diatribe above.

I'll now put this on thread ignore.

I made my post as a way to compare what you were seeing on your computer versus what the computer was telling you.

Apparently it's not what you were looking for, hence the diatribe above.

I'll now put this on thread ignore.

Heh (as Nate would say ;)) I think this thread would make excellent base material for Bryan's next "as the prop turns." It's just so representative of the norm.

Real bad and answer to you original question.
They take gas burned divided by MPH.
Since MPH = 0 they get a division by Zero error.
So easy fix is
If MPH != 0 then gas burned divided by MPH
So we just ignore when MPH = 0 so the reading is off.

Now this thread can go off track and talk about how to programmer are not that dumb. :D

I have an extended cab pickup with a short bed. The extended cab is for the dog, the bed is for the 110 gallon avgas tank. This isn't my first truck, my first dog, or my first avgas tank. I have the exact truck I want. As for fuel mileage? It has never mattered to me other than my overall truck life mileage average. Several trucks have all averaged 12 mpg. The one constant in those trucks? The driver. I like using the pedals to their fullest.

Back