Cherrymax rivet gun??

Skip

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
I have a project that I’m working on and I’m using cherrymax rivets. It’s not structural but I want a good Rivet in it. Can regular pop rivet “pliars” pull a cherry? I only have like 4 to pull.

The garden variety rivet pullers I've picked up at Home Depot or Amazon work just fine on Cherrymax rivets.

The garden variety rivet pullers I've picked up at Home Depot or Amazon work just fine on Cherrymax rivets.
Ok good. I see all these videos and they all have the Cherry pullers. It can’t be that special. I have quality pullers. Thanks.

I have a project that I’m working on and I’m using cherrymax rivets. It’s not structural but I want a good Rivet in it.
Is there a specific reason you're using Cherrymax? Regardless if you want a "good rivet in it" a mechanical hand-riverter won't pull the cherrymax completely and if there is movement at that joint will start to work over time. If you don't need a cherrymax I would use a cherrylock or similar rivet which will pull completely with a mechanical hand riveter. Cherry max need a hand or air hydraulic type puller to be installed properly. If want a cheap, disposable type look at the HF model.

Last edited:
I had to pull some monel cherrymax for a firewall repair. I found out that the Harbor Freight (maybe Cleveland pneumatic?) pneumatic blind riveter worked great and it was under $40 at the time. The dies are not an exact match, but it worked great, most pulled just fine when I gripped them properly.

The manual cherry pullers are not too expensive on ebay. I found them very nice to use compared to the “normal” hand pullers.

The harbor freight pneumatic riveter works great. It is under $40 on sale. I pulled close to 10,000 rivets with on one my Sonex and it is still going strong. Any compressor, even a mini pancake one will run it. A hand riveter will work in a pinch or in tight places but it was always much harder for me to get the rivet to sit flush and fully pulled using a hand riveter. There is a tendency to put twist or angle into the hand riveter and not keep it perpendicular to the surface when trying to squeeze the lever.

Back