Chemical Strippers

Have you worked on any aircraft containing significant amounts of titanium? How about DC/MD, 10/11, the pylons are titanium. Talk about cautions and warnings in the MM and SRM. The aircraft's hydraulic fluid combined with high temperature from a pneumatic leak causes coking, and hydrogen embritalment, a very serious condition. We've changed a few pylons because of it. Then there is the problem with hardware and tools dissimilar metals. Titanium has problems that other metals don't have.

Corrosion is simply a fact of life. If something can corrode, it will. Period. The best we can do, is to take steps to continue the longevity of those parts, and hope for the best.

Corrosion is simply a fact of life. If something can corrode, it will. Period. The best we can do, is to take steps to continue the longevity of those parts, and hope for the best.
That is true. You think it's ok to alodine magnesium aircraft parts and sell the aircraft to some unsuspecting soul?

There is a conversion coat especially formulated for magnesium parts. Use it in lieu of alodine.

Yeah, but, he posted a nice picture of his "properly alodined aluminum" rudder pedal, after stating that alodine turned magnesium black. His picture is not the normal goldish that aluminum has after being alodined.

Yeah, but, he posted a nice picture of his "properly alodined aluminum" rudder pedal, after stating that alodine turned magnesium black. His picture is not the normal goldish that aluminum has after being alodined.
They did not turn black.. tell the folks why.

all aluminum's are not the same alloy and thus will turn a variations of yellow to brown.

Admit you do not have the first IDEA of what you think you are the expert

You have already proven you don't have the expertise to know the tests required to determine he alloys of metal, simply because you can't read it from you job card.

Folks most of you know how the get in touch with me. So do so, when you need a real A&P to help you.

And be certain Glen explains why those pedals didn't turn black when alodine was applied.

I'll check in once in a while to be sure dumbass doesn't BS

The stuff I use leaves the aluminum with a blue tint.

They did not turn black.. tell the folks why.

all aluminum's are not the same alloy and thus will turn a variations of yellow to brown.

Admit you do not have the first IDEA of what you think you are the expert

You have already proven you don't have the expertise to know the tests required to determine he alloys of metal, simply because you can't read it from you job card.

Folks most of you know how the get in touch with me. So do so, when you need a real A&P to help you.

And be certain Glen explains why those pedals didn't turn black when alodine was applied.
You don't know what you ****ing got.

Every reference points to them being magnesium.

They look porous like magnesium.

Their corrosion looks like magnesium.

Yes, alodine turns aluminum alloys gold to light brown.

The pedal you alodined doesn't look light brown to me.

I see many shades of dark brown referred to as black.

Please provide an approved written procedure for metals sorting using alodine color assement.

Alodine is corrosive, and only used for aluminum. The fact that you even profess applying alodine to magnesium, the most highly corrosive metal used in aircraft construction, is mind-boggling.

Last edited:
I'll check in once in a while to be sure dumbass doesn't BS

I was wondering how long the statement the departure mentioned below would last...
I have a better Idea, rather than leave his stupid statements and assumptions go un-rebuted I'll simply leave the group.
then those who would like to watch the progress of my projects and maybe learn some thing in the process, can be the losers.

seeing as members like him have rendered the webpage useless for that purpose anyway, other wise we would still have members like Ron Levi, and Dr Bruce as active members.

CYA
Actually, longer than I thought.

I don't think there is an approved test for aluminum vs magnesium, so "good practice" would (should) be used. Such as contacting the OEM and asking what material the part number is made from. And that could be verified a few different ways. 1) Brighten a spot in a small area and touch it with alodine and look for a black or grey reaction. 2) Brighten a spot and touch it with vinegar and look for bubbling. 3) Get some small filings from a non-critical spot and pass a torch over them - if they spark and look like phosphor, that is magnesium.

I have dealt with this before with aircraft wheels and learned these "good practices".

I don't think there is an approved test for aluminum vs magnesium...

There is. I do it quite frequently.

AC 25-29
d. Eddy Current Inspections. ...The aviation industry uses these inspections to detect certain defects (e.g., cracks and corrosion damage), verify thickness, and determine material characterization, such as metal sorting and heat treatment verification.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_25-29.pdf

For some of the other items of argument, the FAA also provides guidance.

Pertaining to the control cable magnet test:

43.13-1B
Chap 4 Sect 2
Testing Of Metals

4-22. MAGNETIC TESTING. Magnetic
testing consists of determining whether the
specimen is attracted by a magnet... Never
use this test as a final basis for identification.

Pertaining to the Cessna cast rudder pedals:

43.13-1B

Chap 4 Sect 4
Metal repair Procedures
4-61. CASTINGS
. Damaged castings are to
be replaced and not repaired unless the method
of repair is specifically approved by the aircraft
manufacturer or substantiating data for
the repair has been reviewed by the FAA for
approval.

I'll be sure to add an eddy current tester to my list of "must haves" before the annual on my 150. :D

Thought I'd check in and see if Glenn was still flapping his jaws on this thread.

Couple things that I would like those of you that are still reading this thread to understand.

1 Glen says he lives in Ohio.I live in wa. state he has never been in my shop or ever laid eyes on the rudder pedals I removed for the 150. yet he seems to believe he knows every thing about them.

2 He made great hoopla over the corrosion he saw on the pedal I showed here. Remember all the pitting corrosion statements he made.

Well,, if you look close, It is stereo Typical Filiform in its most common form. compare my photo to the pictures in AC43-13. Pretty much says it all about his knowledge about the types of corrosion.

3 So, here is the full study on the pedals, When I removed them from the 150 they did show quite a bit of corrosion and wear, I fully intended to weld the holes close and re-drill. After cleaning as any old welder would do is to identify the material. And I did as all welders do -- >
and found the castings were not Mag, So I alodined them as I should do to Aluminum. and they turned a nice light brown, no matter what Glen saw. they re-acted just as any aluminum should. and I posted the picture.

That is when the debate started as to if they were Mag or Alu ? Some one mentioned I should touch a TIG torch to it. So I did. I made a little puddle and added a touch of mag filler wire, allowed it to cool, then took a sharp cold chisel and struck the mound felt by the filler wire. It came off like a scab, proving the material was in fact aluminum. And proceeded to weld a hole closed with aluminum filler wire and it took very little effort to make the weld fill the hole. Even Glen made comment it looked pretty good. He was looking at an aluminum weld, thinking it as mag, even tho he had already stated the mag couldn't be welded. I'll give him credit, pictures are deceiving.

Shortly after that we got a post from our Textron rep, saying he had e-mailed Cessna. and that Cessna had stated all rudder pedals were mag. I thinking what? So I called too, got the same story. Cessna Never made any aluminum pedals (EVER)

So this now brings up the Question, What the hell do I have?

About this time Glen brings up the part number and casting number, I inspect mine and there is no marks at all. Nothing, zip, nada.

That's when I called Mc Farland to see If they had ever made aluminum ones, Nope, all they do is repair or buy new from Cessna's contractor. I ask, "know any one with a STC for aluminum ones"? nope never heard of anyone.

So with no number or marks to identify, or any other method of identification, I simply can't use them. they went out with the recycle trash this morning. They were either a owner provided part. or a unapproved after market part.

I'll sort out a good set on my next visit to the salvage yard.

next issue with Glen, He has shown the AC 43,13 as the source for his belief that I can not repair these. I have a clue for ya, you have shown every one here that you knew the make model and year, plus the serial number of my aircraft. That's an indisputable fact. yet you demonstrate you are simply unaware that Cessna has a full set of maintenance manuals for all their aircraft from 1968 on. had you read the AC you would have known it does not apply to aircraft that are supported by their own manuals.

Next issue, Weld repairs on part 91 aircraft. There is only one weld repair that is considered a major repair, that is given in the FAR 43-A as a weld repair to any structural component of an engine. (look it up) any other weld repair is a minor repair, and can be returned to service by any A&P or those supervised by them, on a log book entry describing the maintenance IAW FAR 43

And OBTW all E3 NAVY structural mechanics are required to show proficiency in the use of a eddy current inspection tools prior to advancing to E4. the instruction is given on he navy's training computer system and requires the dumbest of the bunch about 15 minutes to do the theory of operation, calibration, and use of the equipment. then demonstrate the use for a Quality assurance chief, and they are good to go use the eddy current tester on the most critical equipment in the world.

But it is nice to know you've reached the E3 level of aircraft maintenance at the repair station.

MY apologies to the moderators

... Glen brings up the part number and casting number, .....
So with no number or marks to identify, or any other method of identification, I simply can't use them. they went out with the recycle trash this morning. They were either a owner provided part. or a unapproved after market part.

I'll sort out a good set on my next visit to the salvage yard.

next issue with Glen, He has shown the AC 43,13 as the source for his belief that I can not repair these. I have a clue for ya, you have shown every one here that you knew the make model and year, plus the serial number of my aircraft. That's an indisputable fact. yet you demonstrate you are simply unaware that Cessna has a full set of maintenance manuals for all their aircraft from 1968 on. had you read the AC you would have known it does not apply to aircraft that are supported by their own manuals.

Next issue, Weld repairs on part 91 aircraft. There is only one weld repair that is considered a major repair, that is given in the FAR 43-A as a weld repair to any structural component of an engine. (look it up) any other weld repair is a minor repair, and can be returned to service by any A&P or those supervised by them, on a log book entry describing the maintenance IAW FAR 43

And OBTW all E3 NAVY structural mechanics are required to show proficiency in the use of a eddy current inspection tools prior to advancing to E4. the instruction is given on he navy's training computer system and requires the dumbest of the bunch about 15 minutes to do the theory of operation, calibration, and use of the equipment. then demonstrate the use for a Quality assurance chief, and they are good to go use the eddy current tester on the most critical equipment in the world.

But it is nice to know you've reached the E3 level of aircraft maintenance at the repair station.

MY apologies to the moderators

You posted a picture of one of your rudder pedals with the casting number 140320-495 clearly on it, here:
It took all day yesterday to get the Rudder pedals out so I could repair the corrosion found under them.
picture on what was found
Found in the first picture, in the first post, in this thread:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/up-date-on-9712t.102003/

Eddy current can be used for surface crack detection/verification, yes, that's pretty simple. It can also be used for hidden crack detection in multiple layers of sheet metal, thickness measurement after damage removal, thickness remaining of parent metal with corrosion present, nonconductive (paint) layer thickness measurement, and metals sorting using a conductivity curve, Navy enlisted ain't gonna learn all that any quicker than anyone else. You know universities such as Purdue offer Bachelor Degree in NDI? Obviously you don't.

Show me where I said Magnesium couldn't be welded.

P.S. I may just purchase a used 140320-495 pedal and do my own ET analysis.

Last edited:
IF you buy that part number You'll find they are mag. as Cessna and McFarland says. find one that has no numbers and se what that one is.

Glenn.....ain't no one in GA doing any of that....especially Tom. :D
Specially when the equipment costs more than my house.:)
but you forget Glen can't distinguish between part 91/43 maintenance and his repair center. His job cards tell him what and how to do every thing. And remember where he works, they don't even require you to have an A&P, repairmen do every thing.

tossing these pedals in the trash, ain't like I threw away good parts.

and remember what I've posted here isn't what am required to return to service. Even If Glen thinks so. :)

That must be something different than found here:
http://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/cnatt/nattc/_documents/c-603-3191.htm
" COURSE LENGTH: 102. "

or here:
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=90818
"a three-month course encompassing the five methods of NDI used in naval aviation. According to Aviation Structural Mechanic 1st Class (AW/SW) James Bowers, an NDI instructor, the course should have a positive impact throughout the fleet."

Evidently, the 15 minute training was found to be inadequate.

And, BTW. I'm NDT qualified on Boeing 767 and 777. 777s run almost 300 million per. What Navy aircraft did you work on that comes close?

Oh yeah, you worked on TC-4C. Do you even know the biggest difference between it and the G-1?

Well,, if you look close, It is stereo Typical Filiform in its most common form. compare my photo to the pictures in AC43-13. Pretty much says it all about his knowledge about the types of corrosion.

No.

From AC-43.13
6-16. FILIFORM CORROSION.
Filiform corrosion is a special form of oxygen concentration cell which occurs on metal surfaces having an organic coating system. It is recognized by its characteristic worm-like trace of corrosion products beneath the paint film. (See figure 6-8.)

Your pictures don't exhibit that.

Sometimes you need to read the text and not just look at the crappy pictures in 43.13.

And, "stereotypical" is one word.

Specially when the equipment costs more than my house.:) but you forget Glen can't distinguish between part 91/43 maintenance and his repair center. His job cards tell him what and how to do every thing. And remember where he works, they don't even require you to have an A&P, repairmen do every thing.

tossing these pedals in the trash, ain't like I threw away good parts.

and remember what I've posted here isn't what am required to return to service. Even If Glen thinks so. :)
No, you can get an Eddy Current machine for a couple grand and standards range between $150 and $2000 each.
No, job cards don't tell us everything to do.
No, we don't employ any Repairmen at my airline base maintenance facility, just A&Ps.

But, at least you finally came around. ;)

Last edited:
IF you buy that part number You'll find they are mag. as Cessna and McFarland says.
Which, IS the part number on the one in the picture you posted, and caused the whole mag/aluminum argument. I said it was mag, you said I didn't know what I was talking about... Sheesh.

Which, IS the part number on the one in the picture you posted, and caused the whole mag/aluminum argument. I said it was mag, you said I didn't know what I was talking about... Sheesh.

The one I showed the picture of wasn't mag, and you didn't even recognize filiform corrosion when you saw it, then linked the 43-13 saying they could not be repaired.

Then refuse to understand the proper repair procedure for part 91 aircraft.

Best get your story right. This thread has been a great opportunity for folks to learn you do not understand the first thing about identifying metals or the proper procedure to do so.

Yes I do watch your responses. and high light the wrong you spout.

or here:
"a three-month course encompassing the five methods of NDI used in naval aviation. According to Aviation Structural Mechanic 1st Class (AW/SW) James Bowers, an NDI instructor, the course should have a positive impact throughout the fleet."

And, BTW. I'm NDT qualified on Boeing 767 and 777. 777s run almost 300 million per. What Navy aircraft did you work on that comes close?

Oh yeah, you worked on TC-4C. Do you even know the biggest difference between it and the G-1?

No.

From AC-43.13
Filiform corrosion is a special form of oxygen concentration cell which occurs on metal surfaces having an organic coating system. It is recognized by its characteristic worm-like trace of corrosion products beneath the paint film. (See figure 6-8.)

Sometimes you need to read the text and not just look at the crappy pictures in 43.13.

No, you can get an Eddy Current machine for a couple grand and standards range between $150 and $2000 each.
No, we don't employ any Repairmen at my airline base maintenance facility, just A&Ps.

or here:

No.

From AC-43.13

Problem is you proved you can't tell fillirorm corrosion when you see, but you can look it up,

Plus you don't understand the difference between a E-3 and a first class requirements in the NAVY or you wouldn't have posted the above.

Good with the internet but not a lick of practical experience. it shows every time you post.

Aren't you tired of getting spanked, yet?
IOWs you agree, you have no experience in the maintenance and care of part 91 aircraft. or you'd have a better come back.

Every time you post, you prove what I say.

IOWs you agree, you have no experience in the maintenance and care of part 91 aircraft. or you'd have a better come back.
Airplanes are airplanes and they all have differences, including every part 91 aircraft type.

Do you have experience with a Continuous Airworthiness Maintenance Program (CAMP) like in a 135 or 121 operation?

Last edited:
Airplanes are airplanes and they all have differences, including every part 91 aircraft type.

Do you have experience with a Continuous Airworthiness Maintenance Program (CAMP) like in a 135 or 121 operation?

why should I ?

Back