Chemical Strippers

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
After the controversy over strippers in the other thread I decided to do a little research on my own.
I went to our local ACE hardware and our local Home Depot and started to read labels of the off the shelf chemical paint strippers and found that there are only two types, or should I say formulas to be found available to the public.

Of the 7 brand names I could find all but two were solvent based most were acetone, with Methylene Chloride added to do the stripping and (thus my statement to Captain Jack) one was a toluene based, which was a Formby's furniture stripper (varnish type)

Two of the brand names water based containing N-methyl-2-PYROLIDONE, & DIBASIC ESTERS.
I looked that up, it is not ammonia.

So in conclusion, Unless you are ordering chemicals from a company that offers chemicals that they do not sell to the public you are stuck using the strippers I found at the two stores I mentioned
So, the whole discussion of Ammonia was in naught, because it doesn't exist to the public.

Two of the brand names water based containing N-methyl-2-PYROLIDONE, & DIBASIC ESTERS.
AKA "Orange"...
The methylene chloride kinds smell the best.

Oh - if you want a caustic based stripper use EZ-Off oven spray (the original stuff).

Last edited:
Any of em have Ammonium Hydroxide, Methylene Chloride? I bet you weren't looking at aircraft compatible chemicals. :eek:

Because "the public" can only shop at Ace Hardware and Home Depot.... where do you come up with such.....
Where ever you shop go do your own home work. then show us what YOU discover, or don't you read labels?

Chemical strippers? Do ya have to tip them? Doesn't the DJ tell you which ones are available?
For the lack of experience in the places you go. I can't understand the question.

Any of em have Ammonium Hydroxide, Methylene Chloride? I bet you weren't looking at aircraft compatible chemicals. :eek:
None of the cans that were on the shelf had that chemical most had Methylene Chloride as a major ingredient.
I just got off the phone with our local paint shop, they do not use any chemicals that are ammonia based. They use a jellied Acetone with Methylene Chloride.

Go read the labels see for yourself, see what you can buy locally to use on any project you have.

After the controversy over strippers in the other thread I decided to do a little research on my own.
I went to our local ACE hardware and our local Home Depot and started to read labels of the off the shelf chemical paint strippers and found that there are only two types, or should I say formulas to be found available to the public.

Of the 7 brand names I could find all but two were solvent based most were acetone, with Methylene Chloride added to do the stripping and (thus my statement to Captain Jack) one was a toluene based, which was a Formby's furniture stripper (varnish type)

So in conclusion, Unless you are ordering chemicals from a company that offers chemicals that they do not sell to the public you are stuck using the strippers I found at the two stores I mentioned
So, the whole discussion of Ammonia was in naught, because it doesn't exist to the public.

Tom- if you had to look up that "N-methyl-2-PYROLIDONE, & DIBASIC ESTERS" aren't ammonia, you really aren't competent to be commenting on the chemistry. Especially since you thought ammonia was acidic. The discussion was your competency to discuss chemistry, and your competency as an A&P since you'll present yourself as an expert on things you really know nothing about.

None of the cans that were on the shelf had that chemical most had Methylene Chloride as a major ingredient.
I just got off the phone with our local paint shop, they do not use any chemicals that are ammonia based. They use a jellied Acetone with Methylene Chloride.

Go read the labels see for yourself, see what you can buy locally to use on any project you have.
There you go again...a quick google search shows only 4 instances of "jellied acetone". One referred to fingernail polish, one referred to the effects on a musical instrument, the other two led to you (PoA and the Cessna forum)- hardly a common term!
upload_2017-3-13_17-36-15.png

What was the point of that post? You still had to look them up to determine they weren't ammonia. You should have known that from high school science.

Now- are they acidic or basic?
Who gives a rat's A$$? they get the paint off, and as long as you don't blow them into the seams you are good to go..
Big deal, lots of hoopla over I statement I made about not using a pressure washer.
best you get over it, or continue to hate, makes no difference to me.

And OBTW I don't take new customers like you anyway.

I have had some before around the house....in a steel can... It said AIRCRAFT REMOVER in bigazz letters. Had a pic of an airplane.. And in tiny little letters on the side..... Not for use on aircraft.... Wtf, over?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I have had some before around the house....in a steel can... It said AIRCRAFT REMOVER in bigazz letters. Had a pic of an airplane.. And in tiny little letters on the side..... Not for use on aircraft.... Wtf, over?

Maybe you got it at Home Depot? Look like the picture below? It's mostly dichloromethane. Besides, it is used to remove an aircraft :p
upload_2017-3-13_20-21-18.png

Maybe you got it at Home Depot? Look like the picture below? It's mostly dichloromethane. Besides, it is used to remove an aircraft
View attachment 52077
Yes. I didnt go there looking for something to use on an aircraft. I just needed a good aggressive remover of paint. I also found a hole in my gloves with it. Damn stuff stings after a bit

Yes. I didnt go there looking for something to use on an aircraft. I just needed a good aggressive remover of paint. I also found a hole in my gloves with it. Damn stuff stings after a bit

OMG your gonna die, it has ammonia in it.
You local ACE hardware has the same formula in stock at half the price.. go read the labels :)

SO.. ?

OMG 50 parts per million, We are all doomed.
50 ppm is the OSHA 8-hour total weight average (TWA) permissible exposure limit (PEL) - not how much is in the can.

The good stuff in the mix is the dichloromethane.
Par-tay! Par-tay!

OMG your gonna die, it has ammonia in it.
You local ACE hardware has the same formula in stock at half the price.. go read the labels :)
Nah its all good....i rinsed it off with MEK. And rinsed the MEK with pine sol...then I washed my hands in mogas...then dawn soap.

SO.. ?

OMG 50 parts per million, We are all doomed.

Tom, you really should learn to read an SDS sheet. The 50 ppm is the exposure limit as determined by some agency or another. Read it again.

However, that ammonia refutes this comment you made:

Who gives a rat's A$$? they get the paint off, and as long as you don't blow them into the seams you are good to go..
Big deal, lots of hoopla over I statement I made about not using a pressure washer.
best you get over it, or continue to hate, makes no difference to me.

And OBTW I don't take new customers like you anyway.
Tom, the hoopla was that you didn't know enough chemistry to tell the difference between an acid and a base (ammonia). Yet you still posted about it as if you knew the difference. That makes one question what you really do know or don't know. I'd be concerned about whether you'd read the manual appropriate for the plane or the repair in question, or go off what you think you know. Proper reading of procedures may have prevented this: http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20150928X72825&key=1

Remember Tom, you did start the thread, you aren't the one getting over it.

Tom, you really should learn to read an SDS sheet. The 50 ppm is the exposure limit as determined by some agency or another. Read it again.
Read the column that gives the % of solution. Ammonia is the least ingredient in the mix. less than 1%

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=SBTqAwA%3D&q=stripping+paint

315,000 hits pretty much prove you don't have to be a chemist to pour stripper out of a can.
No, but I don't see your point. Those people aren't on the internet telling people ammonia is acidic, as you did.
Read the column that gives the % of solution. Ammonia is the least ingredient in the mix. less than 1%
Would you breath air containing that much hydrogen cyanide or carbon monoxide? Besides, the amount is sufficient to show there are paint thinners available to the public containing ammonia, contrary to your comment in the first post.

You should read The maintenance manual
http://www.culvercadet.com/manuals/C85_overhaul_manual.pdf
and tell me where the caution is about mounting the gear.

You make accusations about things you know nothing about.
I didn't make any accusations. I just note that when the report says that, for example, the engine case was sealed with a black substance and the silk thread wasn't in evidence, whether best practices were employed during that engine overhaul. I only question your skills because of how you continue to write about things you know nothing about, and I imagine that is more so about aircraft, where you do know some things.

I actually envy you, you live in a world that every thing is perfect.
Tom-

I didn't start this thread. You may have noticed I haven't replied recently in the other thread that apparently spawned this one. Don't act like a victim here as you brought it on yourself.

You don't like me and that's fine. But even so, my advice isn't bad: Don't post about subjects you know nothing (such as chemistry) about and you won't have these discussions questioning your skills.

Check out "Klean-Strip Aircraft Remover", It contains ammonia, among other things, and Acetone is not there.
And it is plainly stated "Not for use on airplanes". My guess is due to the highly corrosive properties of it's contents.

Check out "Klean-Strip Aircraft Remover", It contains ammonia, among other things, and Acetone is not there.
And it is plainly stated "Not for use on airplanes". My guess is due to the highly corrosive properties of it's contents.
And some body we know had a hissy fit because I didn't like the use of a pressure washer.
It really doesn't make a bit of difference what the sources of the corrosive agent is, acid, ammonia, or the etch we use to clean the surface prior to painting. You must be certain you get it off, or it will accelerate the return of the corrosion.

Water is corrosive too Tom. Make sure it dries. :)
And that is why we must be careful. There is only 1 metal aircraft built in the US that was corrosion proof, can you name it?

And that is why we must be careful. There is only 1 metal aircraft built in the US that was corrosion proof, can you name it?
I suppose you'll claim SR-71 (titanium). Many components of the plane weren't made of titanium, and so could corrode. Also, concentrated mineral acids can get through the oxide layer.

I suppose you'll claim SR-71 (titanium). Many components of the plane weren't made of titanium, and so could corrode. Also, concentrated mineral acids can get through the oxide layer.
Yer right there is no perfect corrosion free aircraft, but the SR71 is as close as it gets. other than a couple Russian aircraft that are stainless steel and welded together, So that is why we know how to control corrosion.

Back