Checkride retest 60-day limit

MacFlier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MacFlier
So, I have a retest that's scheduled 1 day before the 60-day window. What are my options if the weather or plane craps out?
Would I have to redo the whole test again instead of only the maneuver I missed?
Is this transferable to another DPE that has better availability?

Pretty certain it’s transferable. I doubt there’s relief from the time limit.

Any DPE can pick up the discontinuance.

If the 60 days expire, the discontinuance no longer provides credit and you'll have to repeat the entire test.

I had a student pilot who took her private pilot check ride the day before moving out of state. She had a discontinuance due to high winds. About two months later she sent me a text that she had passed, and the only maneuver she had to do was short field landings.

I could not tell from the OP, but does it make a difference if it was a failure vs a discontinuance?

I could not tell from the OP, but does it make a difference if it was a failure vs a discontinuance?
No, the reason for discontinuance doesn't matter. If he's passed some portion of the test, he can get credit of he retests within 60 days.

I had a student pilot who took her private pilot check ride the day before moving out of state. She had a discontinuance due to high winds. About two months later she sent me a text that she had passed, and the only maneuver she had to do was short field landings.
I failed my private check ride the day before moving out of state. I told my CFI I'd retest later. He begged me to stay in town a few more days. He said if I left, I'd never get my certificate. I'm certain he was correct, but unfortunately, I had no choice.

I'm thankful to this day that he found a DPE who could retest me that day after some remedial training.

Is partial credit a private thing only or also could apply for someone after an IR? Tia

No, the reason for discontinuance doesn't matter. If he's passed some portion of the test, he can get credit of he retests within 60 days.
Okay. I always thought a pink slip was different than a discontinuance.

Any DPE can pick up the discontinuance.

If the 60 days expire, the discontinuance no longer provides credit and you'll have to repeat the entire test.
That's my understanding as well. Thanks.

In my case I passed the oral but failed a few maneuvers. So, if I transfer to another DPE, I still get credit for what I passed and won't have to redo those right?

A Notice of Disapproval and a Letter of Discontinuance are indeed two very different things. However, the 60 day limit applies to both in terms of time limit to complete the practical test once either one of these documents are issued to the applicant.

Among other things, the retest requires a new 8710-1, the 61.49 Retesting after Failure Endorsement, etc. A discontinuance doesn't require any new paperwork, just validation of the same credentials/endorsements/aeronautical experience requirements presented on the initial test date, plus the presentation plus the LOD itself. Additionally the AKTR (if required for the certificate or rating) must still be valid date-wise.

In my case I passed the oral but failed a few maneuvers. So, if I transfer to another DPE, I still get credit for what I passed and won't have to redo those right?

Remember that the examiner may continue to question you during the flight portion of the practical exam. In other words, you may have passed the ground portion of the oral, but there may be more oral in the air.

Remember that the examiner may continue to question you during the flight portion of the practical exam. In other words, you may have passed the ground portion of the oral, but there may be more oral in the air.
Except that it’s not part of the ground portion of the test, what we normally call “The Oral”, it’s part of the flight test. In the case of the Private Pilot ACS, I. PREFLIGHT PREPARATION is complete before you go do a preflight inspection on the airplane. If you can’t figure out how to avoid a TFR in flight, it’s not a failure under PA.I.E.K3, it’s going to be something under TASK VI A, B, C, or D.

You get credit for it, and you don't HAVE TO redo them. That doesn't mean the DPE can't decide he needs to evaluate something. You should be as prepared as you were the first time for the tasks you completed, and more prepared for the tasks you didn't complete.

Back