Checkride Prep

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
I have about 27 hours of IMC/Hood time. I've completed my long IFR XC and now am rolling into 13 hours of improving and tightening up everything. Curious what other people did to prepare for their checkride outside of oral prep. From what I understand is that I will just shoot approaches over and over... so 13 hours of shooting approaches and a mock checkride.

For one, you should have read the Pts and know all the tolerances for flight and areas of knowledge he is going to quiz you on, damn well know the special emphasis areas.

13hrs to tighten things up? Are you short on hours or something, that's a good chunk of time and $$$

I'd also spend some time in the sim shootin approaches from the IAF or IF, fly the missed then drop you right into another IAF/IF.

13hrs to tighten things up? Are you short on hours or something, that's a good chunk of time and $$$
I assume that's what he means, since you need 40 hours of instrument time, of which 15 has to be with a CFII.

The mock checkride will count towards those 13 hours, so that helps. But 13 hours isn't really a lot, maybe 6 flights under the hood with a CFII. Make the most of it, fly approaches that you're not familiar with as well as the ones your DPE will have you do. If you can find benign IMC (which this time of year means nothing convective, not sure how much of that you'll find in OK) and your CFII is willing, get as much experience in actual as you can. It's very different from being under the hood, in some ways easier and in others, more disorienting unless you are using something like a Francis hood.

Also: do as much partial panel as you can under the hood or in a sim.

AFAIK, it's still 40 hours of instrument time to qualify under 61.65.

Yes... so 13 hours of shooting approaches, simulated emergencies and partial panel... seems about right I guess.

If you have a GPS, practice approaches with the GPS blanked, but also make sure you are completely proficient on GPS approaches including entering them at the IF instead of an IAF or vectors-to-final (buttonology issues). Practice partial panel approaches. Work on holding pattern wind corrections. Practice circling maneuvers staying between MDA and MDA+100 until in a position to descent to land. If you have an autopilot, practice approaches using that so you're absolutely proficient in its use -- and then practice approaches with the autopilot simulated dead.

And study, study, study -- especially weather and weather services, lost comm (not much likelihood of practical application but still a major item on the practical test), and how all your instruments and GPS work.

Last edited:
I have a few extra weeks until my checkride as the DPE is out of town.:mad:

I am planning on a flight a week to keep sharp and work on flow, procedures, etc.
Go Fly partial panel, refine workflow, fly with no gps reference(old school) etc.

Good luck

Make sure you're comfortable with the practical aspects as well, ie what you'll be doing after you get your rating. XC procedures, filing flight plans, getting pop up clearances, etc.

I have about 27 hours of IMC/Hood time. I've completed my long IFR XC and now am rolling into 13 hours of improving and tightening up everything. Curious what other people did to prepare for their checkride outside of oral prep. From what I understand is that I will just shoot approaches over and over... so 13 hours of shooting approaches and a mock checkride.

When you decide to hang it up, your logbook will show that less than ten percent of your landings required that you shoot an approach. There are more important things for you to demonstrate...many of them have been suggested in this thread.

Bob Gardner

And study, study, study -- especially weather and weather services, lost comm (not much likelihood of practical application but still a major item on the practical test), and how all your instruments and GPS work.
Weather was big on my IR ride especially icing.

Pull up random approach plates you have never seen before (large cities in other states for example) and practice briefing an approach. You will almost certainly run into something you are unfamiliar with and it will be a good chance to learn about it.

And when you are ready to take the ride, make sure you read the thread on Captain Ron's advice. Very valuable information in there.

Get your partial panel down pat

Back