Checkride Incoming

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
So the last few months have been a bit hectic with work and I wasn't able to schedule any dual Instrument lessons. My last actual flying lesson with my CFII was April 23rd. I spent May and half of June doing about 11 hours in the Redbird and my last Dual was June 23rd with my original CFI (Now a CFII) doing my long cross country.

Last week thinks look to be cleared up a bit allowing me to schedule from now until late August, planning on flying 2-3 times a week with my CFII and taking the checkride August 20th. I hope I didn't jinx myself by posting about it here....

Since I hadn't flown with him in an actual airplane since April he wanted to give me an overall review/stage check type thing to assess where I'm at. We did steep turns, unusual attitudes, VOR Tracking and a hold, shot an ILS and missed and vectored over to an RNAV back at my home field and landed. Fairly quick flight at 1.2 but he said if that would of been a checkride I would of passed! Glad to hear that, which gives me time to polish everything up over the next 9 hours to hit my 40 hours simulated.

For orals I'm reading through one of the ASA guides and watching the Sporty's IFR series for the 3rd time. I guess I should also note that since May I've actually flown 44 hours and got my hi performance endorsement. So I have been flying which probably really helped.

Down to needing 6.6 hours of simulated or real. I tried to catch some real this morning but all I got was heavy rain and some not so good looking storms so we decided to land. Got 2 RNAV approaches so wasn't a complete loss.

I have 3 more lessons with my primary CFII and will try to squeeze in a few hours the next two weekends with the other CFII.. I kind of want to do a night IFR and another IFR XC... maybe combine the two.

On a side note I can't say enough about those Sporty's IFR videos. My third time through them I was still learning things that I apparently missed the first 2 times. It takes some time to watch them but doing about half a one a night will get you through them.

Okie...interested in selling the Sportys videos when done ?

Okie...interested in selling the Sportys videos when done ?

Just responded to 565pilot's PM. I borrowed them from a buddy who was working on his ticket a while back. After I checkride next week I'm going to give them back to him.

Down to needing 6.6 hours of simulated or real.

Nice!!!!! I just added up the hours this AM and I've got less than 15 to go. For a while you're grinding along feeling like you'll never get there but it's nice when you're on the downhill side. I'm almost ready to pass the written. It'll be a relief to have that behind me, too.

Nice!!!!! I just added up the hours this AM and I've got less than 15 to go. For a while you're grinding along feeling like you'll never get there but it's nice when you're on the downhill side. I'm almost ready to pass the written. It'll be a relief to have that behind me, too.

I'm down to 1.6 now my friend. I have a lesson scheduled next Tuesday... but might try to get out tomorrow and do a few approaches. If I get 1.6 then Tuesday will be ground and I can do .5 in the Redbird to polish any concepts up.

I feel like took my training pretty slow. Outside of the 2 days cramming for the written I don't feel like I've been overwhelmed at all. Every lesson I still seem to learn something new. If you do a lesson at week or so and keep flying then you'll be done before you know it. Also this home flight sim setup really seemed to help a lot.

My IR ride is Friday and I'm crapping bricks over it.

I know I can fly the approaches, navigate, do the holds, etc. well within PTS standards.

My biggest fear is screwing up some smaller detail, like not indenting a navaid or forgetting to keep time to MAP.

Not sure what your post means.

http://iflyasa.com/5-ts-ifr-flying/

I've also seen up to 7 'T's'. Personally I use 5 and it moves in a flow from left to right in my cockpit so;

Time - I check time or reset the counter
Turn - I start moving the airplane
Twist - I twist my heading bug and/or CDI, depending on what I'm doing.
Throttle - Speed/Altitude
Talk - Make an announcement or talk to ATC, whichever I need to do.

Some people add a few more like Tune and Track.

Flying for me is a series of flowchecks and mnemonics that I repeat several times in my head. During approach I do WIRE; Weather, Instruments, Radios, Enroute Brief along with the 5 T's as I intercept the course. Then I start doing the 5 T's along with CGUMPS; Carb heat, Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Props/Power, Seatbelts & Switches.

On a typical ILS I approach I end up doing WIRE 1-2 times, the Ts at least 3-4 times, more if there's a procedural turn and CGUMPS probably 5 times. It's works for me to remind me if I'm needing to do something... for example coming into the approach I typically don't need my carb heat on... however about half a mile from FAF I reduce my throttle (Because I went through the 5 Ts) and I turn on the carb heat (Because I went through CGUMPS again).

Hmm typing that out it seems way more complicated than it is...

Looks like the weather is going to kill my checkride tomorrow. 50+% chance of rain and TSs all day.

I contacted another examiner who said he may be able to do it Saturday (who comes highly recommended), but if not I'm out of town the whole next week.

Sucks for proficiency.

It's cloudy and rainy today, tomorrow it should be clear with wind <10. Hope all goes well.

All done and I passed! Much like the private I probably over prepared.

The oral took maybe 45 mins, just went through everything and was able to answer all but two questions right off the bat. One I had to think a bit about was the 3 components of an ILS approach. Had to look at a chart to remember the outer marker. The next one that hung me up was the 3 things required to circle to land. Again had to look at a chart to remember visibility requirement.

The fly part took 1.2 hours. Had to scramble a bit when I couldn't get the VOR A approach I wanted so had to vector to an airport 10 miles away for a VOR B... So got a bit behind the plane. Everything lee went smooth, nothing major and defiantly nothing outside of the PTS.

Feel great it's over, now onto Gliders!

Congrats

I got another examiner for Saturday (recommended on here).

We will see how it goes. Probably better I got rained out today as two more days to study can only help.

The oral took maybe 45 mins, just went through everything and was able to answer all but two questions right off the bat. One I had to think a bit about was the 3 components of an ILS approach. Had to look at a chart to remember the outer marker. The next one that hung me up was the 3 things required to circle to land. Again had to look at a chart to remember visibility requirement.

The fly part took 1.2 hours. Had to scramble a bit when I couldn't get the VOR A approach I wanted so had to vector to an airport 10 miles away for a VOR B... So got a bit behind the plane. Everything lee went smooth, nothing major and defiantly nothing outside of the PTS.

Congrats! Who'd you take it with - Jan?

A 45 minute oral? Were you basically just nailing every question and the DPE threw their hands up and said "this dude has it, let's go fly?"

:)

Nice! Almost a letdown that it was all over in a couple of hours after all that prep, eh? Congratulations!

Congratulations! Where will you (or did you) take your first IFR-filed flight post-checkride?

A 45 minute oral? Were you basically just nailing every question and the DPE threw their hands up and said "this dude has it, let's go fly?"

:)

He asked me maybe 30 questions total. I only struggled with the two I mentioned and that was only partially wrong so I guess he felt I had a grasp of it all. I'm sure given enough questions you're bound to hit some that people don't know.

Congratulations! Where will you (or did you) take your first IFR-filed flight post-checkride?

Anything over about 50NMs I'll file IFR. I'm going to watch for days like today where there's a 1200 foot ceiling and do some short XCs in that. Plan to build my skill level up slowly, much like my post PPL flights.

So, the "three components" of the ILS are localizer, glideslope, and marker beacon? None of the local ILS's have marker beacons or compass locators. They have all been decommissioned. Even the ones at SFO.

Congrats on passing, but that question is a bit bogus.

So, the "three components" of the ILS are localizer, glideslope, and marker beacon? None of the local ILS's have marker beacons or compass locators. They have all been decommissioned. Even the ones at SFO.

Congrats on passing, but that question is a bit bogus.

The answer he was looking for was 1)Localizer 2)Runway lighting system and 3) marker. I could be wrong, maybe he was meant something like a FAF reference and I said marker and he took it. We're not as advanced in Oklahoma and still have ILS approaches with markers.

See, if someone asked me that, my first thought would of been outer, middle, and inner marker along with their colors.

It's a bit of a vague question. I guess it depends on what components he/she means.

Back