Checking the IFR training box

Yup...expect "advise when ready to copy!"
That seems to happen every long flight....

But the most annoying one was flying from SLO to Oakland, where I got a "reroute" as I finished the SID (a BC departure!) onto a STAR that had all the same VORs in it as my original clearance.

Under the hood (foggles) from Tucson to Palm Springs in the morning. Hope I've got it planned right. I've probably overthunk it...yeah, that's a word because I've wrote down every VOR frequency, every turn, every DME...everything. Wish me luck!
Have fun

Having prepared that much, I'm betting on "cleared as filed" unless it was filed direct into the restricted areas.

I'd bet on "cleared as filed" for just about anything intercepting V94 unless it was to (a) assign a SID for the KTUS departure or (b) offer a shortcut through the restricted areas.

Under the hood (foggles) from Tucson to Palm Springs in the morning. Hope I've got it planned right. I've probably overthunk it...yeah, that's a word because I've wrote down every VOR frequency, every turn, every DME...everything. Wish me luck!
Good luck today! Have fun!

Just checked flight aware... Apparently this happened yesterday.... And Tapatalk lied to me about the post being only 1 day old.

Oh it happened yesterday alright, over seven hours of happening. The first part was fairly smooth and flown at 10,000 but the second was pretty bumpy until I got up to 9,000. I can tell you that the Cathedral 1 departure out of Palm Springs sucks and there is a reason all those wind generators are off the departure end of runway 31.

Oh it happened yesterday alright, over seven hours of happening. The first part was fairly smooth and flown at 10,000 but the second was pretty bumpy until I got up to 9,000. I can tell you that the Cathedral 1 departure out of Palm Springs sucks and there is a reason all those wind generators are off the departure end of runway 31.
Lol. Yeah it do get breezy and bumpy there. What was just going to be a fuel stop turned into spending the night at PSP for me once.

I wanted to choke the SoCal controller at first but then he redeemed himself. Climbing out, heavy, and approaching 100 degrees American, we were getting tossed around pretty good and at times couldn't even get 100 fpm on the climb until we'd hit an updraft and get 1,500 for a second or two. "Climb and maintain niner thousand" said the controller. "We're trying as fast as we can, (bump bounced our heads off the ceiling..unkey...regroup) "Six zero uniform read back altitude assignment." "Six zero uniform, climb and maintain niner thousand." (you overpaid bastard, sitting there in your comfy chair in your air conditioned IFR room with your wolf tee shirt on...YOU try to fly this...I was thinking)
We made the first turn on the departure at barely 3,000' and headed to the PSP vortac; now downwind, we were barely climbing at all. Just before we had to turn back NW to reach 9,000 he cleared us direct BLH when we were only at 5,000'. After finally getting up to 9,000' the controller asked us if we'd like to climb up to 11,000 or descend to 7,000 for traffic. Knowing it would take at least 15 minutes to climb up to 11,000, I opted to descend to 7,000'. Big mistake, bumpy as hell at 7.
I learned a lot on that flight. I learned the airplane knows when you lower you head to look at the charts. I learned it is very easy to get behind the airplane trying to set up instruments for your next way point. I also learned how valuable having GPS must be for those who have it installed.

Having a GPS, an autopilot, and a cooler with ice n water...very valuable for summer foggles or IMC.

Having a GPS, an autopilot, and a cooler with ice n water...very valuable for summer foggles or IMC.
I totally agree that a good GPS/Autopilot combo is a must have for single pilot IFR ops

A partner who purchased his share in the Skylane a few years ago once told me he didn't get his license and join on a really good partnership to let to let the automation do all the work and I should just be quiet and let him hand fly.

Recently he gets his IFR rating, we go flying and he smoothly enters the plan into the navigator, takes off, and just as smoothly engages the autopilot. Then looks at me wondering why I'm smiling and chuckling at what I just witnessed. He is a good pilot, but I couldn't help being amused at the change of attitude toward automation.

Back