Check Ride Take Two

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Woke up to calm winds and a beautiful forecast. Check ride is scheduled for 2:00pm. All I have to do is keep my nerves in check for a few hours. What could go wrong.

Drove to my home airport and arrived at 12:30pm. Pre-flight complete and head to the assigned airport KEKY. Very smooth flight and a decent landing. Do a touch and go just to make sure that I'm on. Another lap around the pattern and complete landing to a full stop and taxi to the FBO. The DPE is already there and said great, we can start this early lets go talk about the plan.

In our review he reminds me my first ride was a great oral and told me what he expected from this ride. Then surprises me and tells me I have a very nice plane with awesome technology and told me to use everything and anything that I wanted. He then said but most of all, relax and have fun.

Off to the airplane and had me do a pre-flight with checklist. Complete. Get in plane and asked me to set a course from KEKY to KMOB. Taxi and takeoff and head in the direction of KMOB with a climb to 4500. Wouldn't you know, he stated the engine is running ruff, we have to divert. Pick closest airport. Used my technology that he said I could use and told him KEET is the closest at 280 degrees. He said head that way. Made the turn and he said very good, now let's get setup and show me some steep turns. This is where I busted last ride. Steep turn to the left done, steep turn to the right, done. He said good work, now show me slow flight. Reduce power, flaps to full, and hit selected speed of 60kts while maintaining altitude. Performed turns to the correct headings requested and again said nice work. As long as we are dirty and slow, please show me power off stall. Perform as instructed and he says clean up and head to new direction. Level off at 4500 again and asks to see power on stall. We agreed that it would be partial power as my plane can climb through a power on stall to a pretty high pitch and all goes as expected.

Time for foggles and get directions of heading, speed, and altitudes at specified rates. On the way up was great. On the way down struggled for some reason hitting the specified descend rate. Made the corrections needed but for the first time he grabbed the pen and made a note. Yikes. Now the fun stuff. Recovery from unusual attitudes. I actually really like those.

Once recovered I get request to descend to 1500 for performance maneuvers. Turns around a point first and went ok. Then S-turns and did two sets. Once complete directed to head back to EKY. In the pattern requests short field landing. Not the best but within standards and tells me we will do again just so he can show me something. Taxi back and perform short field takeoff. Next pattern another short field and I hit my mark. Taxi back and perform soft field takeoff followed by soft field landing. All goes well. On to regular takeoff and tells me to perform no flap landing and hit the numbers. Actually went well and when we touched down he raised flaps and said takeoff. He then tells me that we will do an emergency landing and he would pull power abeam the numbers and expected me to hit the numbers. This was my best landing of the day. He then said take the 2nd taxi way and head to the FBO and wrote another note.

I parked the plane and he said did you have fun today. I said well I'll let you know when I find out how I did. He said I didn't stop you did I? I said no to which he quickly replied nice work, you passed.

We then did a de-debrief and some paper work and signed my certificate followed by a few pictures.

While he was very thorough, he was very fair and showed me a bunch of cool stuff along the way. What an awesome day that I will never forget.

Congrats!

Just out of curiosity, when I flew to my first PP checkride, I had to have a solo endorsement to get there (wasn't at the home airport) and I didn't have an endorsement to do T&G at the airport I did the ride at. I'm assuming you did?

I pretty much knew I had a "one way ticket"... pass that ride, or have to make a phone call for someone to sign another endorsement for me to get home! LOL... no pressure... :) I pointed it out to my CFI later and he laughed, "I didn't realize I did that to you, but it's a good thing you passed, eh?" He would have put a round-trip endorsement in there if he were thinking about it, but we were just sitting there doing logbook checks and prep and he remembered he needed to endorse me to fly to the test airport... GRIN...

I see a difference in your words from the first post too... you went into this one more confident, didn't you? It looks that way. Your words look like they have more action verbs and less second-guessing passive statements. :) Feels good to do it with the "PIC" mentality, doesn't it? :)

Anyway, congrats again! Time to go learn... when's the first really LONG X-C? Time to go see what a weather change looks like when you're a LOOOONG way from home... (GRIN)... Be safe, and remember to keep your passengers safe and as comfortable as possible, too! Who's getting the first ride?

Oh Man!
Congratulations Pilot!!

You worked hard for this.

Well done!

Congrats Thomas! Well done. Knew you'd get it done this time. Enjoy it, go fly!

Congrats! Nothing is sweeter than knowing you were able to produce under pressure.
Fly safely!

Congrats!

Just out of curiosity, when I flew to my first PP checkride, I had to have a solo endorsement to get there (wasn't at the home airport) and I didn't have an endorsement to do T&G at the airport I did the ride at. I'm assuming you did?

I pretty much knew I had a "one way ticket"... pass that ride, or have to make a phone call for someone to sign another endorsement for me to get home! LOL... no pressure... :) I pointed it out to my CFI later and he laughed, "I didn't realize I did that to you, but it's a good thing you passed, eh?" He would have put a round-trip endorsement in there if he were thinking about it, but we were just sitting there doing logbook checks and prep and he remembered he needed to endorse me to fly to the test airport... GRIN...

I see a difference in your words from the first post too... you went into this one more confident, didn't you? It looks that way. Your words look like they have more action verbs and less second-guessing passive statements. :) Feels good to do it with the "PIC" mentality, doesn't it? :)

Anyway, congrats again! Time to go learn... when's the first really LONG X-C? Time to go see what a weather change looks like when you're a LOOOONG way from home... (GRIN)... Be safe, and remember to keep your passengers safe and as comfortable as possible, too! Who's getting the first ride?

Denver Pilot - The airport of testing was only 17nm and should be covered under solo endorsement if done correctly.

First flight was with the wife who supported me and encouraged me through the whole process. Next up we will wait for good forecast and do KBHM to KECP which is 200nm. That will be one of our regulars. My longest will be KBHM to KFXE which is 560nm. Will be doing that one without family until I get more hours and experience!!

All I got was a piece of paper to continue learning so next up will begin IFR, after of course a few fun flights to just enjoy the work I have already put in.

All I got was a piece of paper to continue learning so next up will begin IFR, after of course a few fun flights to just enjoy the work I have already put in.

Yes! Enjoy it awhile before you jump back in the training mode. Again, congrats!

Congratulations.
I would likely get myself into trouble if I used all available technology in the plane. Flaps up, autopilot on, rnav/ils approaches, ;)

good job .you have one of the best aircraft in production ,go out and master it and fly it often . get a instructor who will fly on short notice and fly in some **** weather ,and do it often .getting dual is the second best investment you can make in flying, fuel being the first. i lost track did you stay with your original instructor? i now like what i read in your posts .

good job .you have one of the best aircraft in production ,go out and master it and fly it often . get a instructor who will fly on short notice and fly in some **** weather ,and do it often .getting dual is the second best investment you can make in flying, fuel being the first. i lost track did you stay with your original instructor? i now like what i read in your posts .

Hotprops - my instructor I posted about left the flight school and I was assigned a new instructor. The new instructor had a completely different approach to training and was a perfect fit for my learning style. I intend to do my IFR training with him as we are on a good cadence and he can put things in a way that a clearly understand.

As for my old instructor, we have become friends and he often calls me to check in on me. While his teaching style was far too formal for me we have a lot in common in life and hopefully will continue our friendship for years to come.

Congratulations!!

But... I'm surprised you had all those maneuvers to finish? Did you stop the ride on the first one, or get more maneuvers done? Sorry I don't remember the write up.

Congratulations!!

But... I'm surprised you had all those maneuvers to finish? Did you stop the ride on the first one, or get more maneuvers done? Sorry I don't remember the write up.

When we took off winds were at 10kts. Made my first three check points and diverted. Found airport and began maneuvers. Steep turns first followed by slow flight. At this point winds were 16G23 and we were getting blown around pretty good. At this point DPE called it and when we were landing caught a huge 90 degree gust that really threw us. Made the landing but it was ugly. It was the right call to end it and I am sure he just wanted to be extra thorough on the take two but he was very fair and gave me lots of great tips. It worked out for the best as it gave me some more time to polish up my skills. He even wrote good job on my log book entry so I got a kick out of that!

Good job. Each successive flight will make you feel more and more like a pilot, if that's even possible. Congratulations!

Just to continue an old tradition: bring out the rats!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiA5rrd6K_LAhXHPB4KHQLkBu0QjRwIBw&url=http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:CONGARATS.gif&psig=AFQjCNGxIF0wiYs8vxhrQZYf26XHXjc3Cg&ust=1457482767004024
Rats! (ducks and runs...) I tried to embed this link but it still works if you click on it...
And congratulations! -Skip
Why not post the real link instead of the Google tracker? It is easy to extract from the middle.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:CONGARATS.gif
Funny rats. :D

Back