Check Ride Scheduled

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Got signed off for my check ride a week from tomorrow. Going to practice a ton this weekend and then take one more practice flight the day before. Will continue to study and review the rest of the week but crossing my fingers that my CFI would not have signed me off unless he was sure I could pass. Wish me luck!!

Awesome!
Can't wait to read the write up

Best of luck Thomas! Just don't over study.

That's awesome! Good luck!

Great News!!! Many congratulations. I am looking forward towards hearing about your experience. Please share here.:yesnod:

Good luck, have fun! Relax and realize its not about knowing everything the Examiner asks you. Its about being safe and correcting any mistakes as quickly as possible.

Best of luck, what a difference a few weeks make. You've got this, don't give up.

On my check ride I went up on a bumpy day. He asked me to demonstrate minimum controllable airspeed, I get the AC configured, stall horn blaring, then bump, full stall, nose drop, the works. I thought to myself, ****,I blew this, while I recovered from the stall. When we were flying again I looked over at him, he had a surprised look on his face, like a wtf are you doing look, I said, "I screwed that up and stalled the plane. Can I try it again? He said "sure". Finished that, went back to the airport, he had me do two short field landings and we were done, I got my ticket.

Don't give up, fly the airplane.

We all remember the feeling like it was yesterday, pre and post checkride. You'll do great. Congrats in advance!

Mine is scheduled for Feb 22. Let's get this done! Best of luck, even though you won't need it.

Hopefully we will still be on for Friday. The winds have picked up this week big time and if it's outside my minimums will have to delay for. Currently at 15 with gusts at 23. Not really thrilled with the thought of doing all of the maneuvers at higher winds but less thrilled with potentially delaying. Oh well, hopefully they will die down before then!!

Good luck!!!!

I'm a little behind you (30 hrs), I hope to be making an announcement just like this in the not too distant future.

Read and take to heart Captain Levy's Checkride Advice (a sticky in this forum). There is much wisdom contained therein.

Best of luck.

If your checked off and you have done your homework, nothing is more important that confidence. Go in knowing "you got this". Do everything you were taught and do not let the examiner rattle or distract you. Remember your first job is to fly that airplane safely.

Well I busted my check ride. I am crushed. Went through the oral and he said it was one of the best he has even seen. Then we went to take off and winds were direct crosswinds at 16 with gusts at 23. The take off was not my best but proceeded on course and made my first check point as scheduled. On to checkpoint 2 and then got the call to divert. Found closest airport and instead of landing began maneuvers. Started with steep turns left then right. Not perfect but he let them slide most likely because of wind. Then on to slow flight and here is where it got called.

I dirtied the plane and got a little confused because he asked what speed we were doing slow flight in and I really didn't know the exact figure, just remembered that with my instructors we always kissed the stall horn. In any event, got into slow flight and was directed to turn due west done. Due east done. Due west done. Then 45 degrees to the left. For some reason the switch from compass direction to numeric direction got me and I went back to east instead of the 45 point requested. He said at this point I think you need more work on this and since it's so windy lets just call it a day.

I am so bummed. When I flew to the airport in the am I had a perfect landing. When I practiced all of this yesterday it was all well within standards. Now I am a big bust and really down. Oh well.

A joke a friend started but I agree with, "Busting a checkride means you have the penalty of having to go fly some more. Darn!"

(Obviously the pro guys can bust and have Bad ThingsTM happen but it's a good joke for us bugsmashers anyway. And you'll knock out the slow flight blues in no time.)

And I do understand it hurts a lot more these days with what DPEs are charging. Holy crap, I saw we're up to $550 for the Commercial ride around here now... Sheesh. That's more than some car payments I've had...

Shake it off and get back at it. It sounds like the examiner knows that you know your stuff. It's just a matter of checking off the boxes in the PTS. You'll be a private pilot in no time.

Bah, sorry to hear this, you'll get it, write down what he had you do and go up again with your instructor and practice. Sounds like you were close to success.

I hear what you are saying, it sucks to fail a maneuver but I think our egos take the hardest hit (don't ask how I know).
As DenverPilot pointed out, you get to fly some more and then prove to the DPE that, in fact, you can do this.
It sounds like maybe you were tense and nervous and the DPE recognized it as well.
The second time you go in, you will know what you're going into, you will know the DPE, I think your nerves will be better.

Go fly some more with your CFI, sleep it off, shrug it off. Take a re-test and you'll get your wings.

Although a blow to your ego, it is far from a fatal blow. Lots of folk take a mulligan (Hah! Sorry... had to do it) on their checkride. When you get back in the air and pass the checkride, do you know what they will call you? Pilot Mulligan, sir!

In case you haven't seen it, I am posting Ron Levy's checkride advice. Well worth the read... Good luck, you know we are all counting on you!

Ron Levy's checkride advice:

1. Relax and enjoy it. Nationwide, about 90% of applicants pass on the first try, so look around and see if you think you’re as good as 9 out of 10 other students. Also, your instructor must maintain a pass rate of at least 80% to get his ticket renewed, so he’s not going to send you up unless he’s pretty darn sure you’ll pass – otherwise, he has to find four other people to pass to make up for you, and that’s not always easy.

2. Go over with your instructor the logbooks of the aircraft you're going to use the day BEFORE the checkride to make sure it's all in order (annual, transponder checks, ELT ops and battery, 100-hour if rented, etc.). If the airplane's paper busts, so do you. Run a sample W&B, too – get the examiner’s weight when you make the appointment. If you weigh 200, and so does the examiner, don’t show up with a C-152 with full tanks and a 350 lb available cabin load – examiners can’t waive max gross weight limits.

3. Relax.

4. Rest up and get a good night's sleep the night before. Don't stay up "cramming."

5. Relax.

6. Read carefully the ENTIRE PTS including all the introductory material. Use the checklist in the front to make sure you take all the stuff you need -- papers and equipment. And the examiner’s fee UP FRONT (too much chance a disgruntled applicant will refuse to pay afterward) in the form demanded by the examiner is a “required document” from a practical, if not FAA, standpoint.

7. Relax.

8. You’re going to make a big mistake somewhere. The examiner knows this will happen, and it doesn’t have to end the ride. What’s important is not whether you make a mistake, but how you deal with it – whether you recover and move on without letting it destroy your flying. Figure out where you are now, how to get to where you want to be, and then do what it takes to get there. That will save your checkride today and your butt later on.

9. Relax.

10. You're going to make some minor mistakes. Correct them yourself in a timely manner "so the outcome of the maneuver is never seriously in doubt" and you'll be OK. If you start to go high on your first steep turn and start a correction as you approach 100 feet high but top out at 110 high while making a smooth correction back to the requested altitude, don't sweat -- nail the next one and you'll pass with "flying colors" (a naval term, actually). If you see the maneuver will exceed parameters and not be smoothly recoverable, tell the examiner and knock it off before you go outside those parameters, and then re-initiate. That shows great sense, if not great skill, and judgement is the most critical item on the checkride.

11. Relax.

12. During the oral, you don’t have to answer from memory anything you’d have time to look up in reality. You never need to memorize and know everything. Categorize material as:

a. Things you must memorize (i.e. emergency procedures, radio calls, airspace, etc).
b. Things you must know or have reasonable understanding of (i.e. interpreting weather codes, non-critical regs).
c. Things you must know about but can look up and will have time to look up on the ground.

(Thanks to Mark Bourdeaux for this categorization.) So if the examiner asks you about currency, it’s OK to open the FAR book to 61.56 and 61.57 and explain them to him. But make sure you know where the answer is without reading the whole FAR/AIM cover-to-cover. On the other hand, for stuff you’d have to know RIGHT NOW (e.g., best glide speed for engine failure, etc.), you’d best not stumble or stutter – know that stuff cold. Also, remember that the examiner will use the areas your knowledge test report says you missed as focus points in the oral, so study them extra thoroughly.

13. Relax.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?
Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

15. Relax

16. (Courtesy of PoA’s Anymouse) If the examiner is talking, never, ever interrupt him. There are two reasons for this:
a) You just might learn something from him, and
b) He just might do the oral for you.

17. Relax.

18. Some questions are meant simply to test your knowledge, not your skill, even if they sound otherwise. If the examiner asks how far below the cloud deck you are, he is checking to see if you know the answer is “at least 500 feet,” not how good your depth perception is. He can’t tell any better than you can, and the only way to be sure is to climb up and see when you hit the bases, which for sure he won’t let you do.

19. Relax

20. It’s a test of your flying skill, not your knowledge of PTS minutiae. Make sure you know which maneuver the examiner wants done, and confirm the details if necessary – before you start the maneuver. Does s/he want stalls taken all the way to the break or just to the buffet or “first sign of impending stall”? Is that “spot landing” s/he asked for the “power-off 180-degree accuracy approach and landing” no more than 400 feet beyond the spot or the “short-field approach and landing” which allows use of power but no more than 200 feet beyond the spot (PP standards)?

21. Relax

22. Remember the first rule of Italian driving: "What's behind me is not important." Don't worry about how you did the last maneuver or question. If you didn't do it well enough, the examiner must notify you and terminate the checkride. If you are on the next one, forget the last one because it was good enough to pass. Focus on doing that next maneuver or answering the next question the best you can, because while it can still determine whether you pass or fail, the last one can’t anymore. If you get back to the office and he hasn't said you failed, smile to your friends as you walk in because you just passed.

23. Relax and enjoy your new license.

Ron Levy, ATP, CFI, Veteran of 11 license/rating checkrides, including 4 with FAA inspectors

Sorry to hear about the checkride. You'll do fine next time. Keep your head up!

Not that I am going to fail my second attempt, it would help calm my nerves before trying if j had a better understanding of the process. After I busted the instructor said it was too windy to continue so I was not able to knock out most of the flight stuff and know that I will have to redo all of those after my CFI review and endorsed me which he said will happen next week and will try to reschedule the 2nd attempt the day after.

My question is what happens if I bust that too because I didn't get the opportunity to knock out more on my original ride? Do I have to start the process all over again? I know that at a minimum I would change instructors just to protect my current instructors behind because my current instructor is awesome and I don't want to dong his record.

Again, I'm not going to fail and will nail this but if I knew what the process was it may help me "relax" as suggested in points 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19 from above which I apparently forgot to go last time

I'm sure people here will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe by the PTS you are able to continue the check ride if you so choose. If it was too windy too fly in the first place and you continued that is construed as your fault, if it was too windy because the checker thought so, does not constitute a failour on your part. I'm sorry but I think you got robbed and I also know that making a stink will just make it harder for you.. So; lick your wounds, get up, and know that next time you will nail it! We have faith.

I'm sure people here will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe by the PTS you are able to continue the check ride if you so choose. If it was too windy too fly in the first place and you continued that is construed as your fault, if it was too windy because the checker thought so, does not constitute a failour on your part. I'm sorry but I think you got robbed and I also know that making a stink will just make it harder for you.. So; lick your wounds, get up, and know that next time you will nail it! We have faith.

To continue the checkride after a bust is up to both the DPE and the candidate. When you fail a particular task, the DPE is supposed to tell you the task was not up to PTS standards and then either offer to continue the checkride in order to knock off additional tasks or just terminate the ride. The DPE doesn't have to offer to continue. If it was "too" windy, the DPE was probably doing you a favor by ending the ride. He's probably never going to say it's too windy before a bust because he's expecting you, as PIC, to make the call. As long as he is not in danger, he's going to give you enough rope to hang yourself.

I've been flying for thirty years and asked for a continuance on a checkride recently before stepping to the aircraft. The DPE looked at me and thanked me for making that decision because he really didn't want to get airborne with the conditions we had at the time. It was legal and he would have gone, but he told me it was a better decision to postpone the flight. I've flown in those conditions many times and knew it would have been a very uncomfortable flight and there was really no good reason to press other than my own hubris. Most DPEs probably loosen up on expectations when winds are gusty but you can't count on being given slack. It's better to have good conditions and nail your maneuvers; if you don't, you'll have no excuses and it will be a clean bust. Checkrides are rarely busted for a single item unless it was something gross. Not saying it doesn't happen but most DPEs I've known really do want a candidate to pass. Oftentimes the DPE ends up documenting a single poor maneuver as the "bust" without officially noting that the oral was weak or some other maneuvers barely met standards. A rock solid performance with a single slip up would probably warrant a second chance before calling it a bust.

You're not the first to bust a checkride nor will you be the last. I busted my first one for "not using the checklist" during a simulated panel fire. In training my instructor (brand new out of the box CFI) always had me simulate turning the master switch off. On my ride I had to figure out what the DPE was getting at when he said, "Hey man, do you smell that?" "Smell what?" "My feet are getting hot." "Well turn that little vent thingy towards the floor." "Hey, I think our panel is on fire." (light bulb illuminates in my head) Instead of just asking, "hey, looks like our panel is on fire, what do you do?" he went another way.

I had the checklist in hand, I did everything on it except for actually turning the master off...never done that before and never realized that the engine will keep running. Oh well, we went back up that same day and I passed...after running to the ATM for the $100 re-take fee. :rolleyes:

Live and learn and my instructor now teaches his students to actually turn the master off so it helped him too.

Back