Cheap Avgas?

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
So a oil price war has started, how long will it take to reach the fuel pumps? $2/gal 100LL by May?!

Given that 100LL is a very tiny production compared to other oil products, probably not very much.

That would be nice!

The price of oil has nothing to do with the price of gas.

Also av gas is just a very small portion of gas production so don't plan on filling up the plane with 20 bucks anytime soon.

avgas is priced based on the market....not the supply. We're stupid...and continue to buy $6 gas....so they sell it.

I've been flying about 5 yrs, I've seen auto gas go up and down during this time. But, avgas at my base has stayed pretty much the same, and when I look at avgas prices around the state, the lowest priced avgas is about the same price and location as it was 5 yrs ago.

The price of oil has nothing to do with the price of gas.

How can that be? I assume you mean avgas, because clearly they are correlated:
2980327ff549ab892ec8699689f29dc6.jpg

Bear in mind that avgas is produced infrequently in relatively small quantities, and has a very specialized and more expensive transportation system because of the lead content, so prices are not as elastic or as quick to respond as say, autogas. Expect some decline in the price of avgas if crude oil supply increases persist, but don't expect a free fall.

Oil at below $35 a barrel is not good for the industry.

Bear in mind that avgas is produced infrequently in relatively small quantities, and has a very specialized and more expensive transportation system because of the lead content, so prices are not as elastic or as quick to respond as say, autogas. Expect some decline in the price of avgas if crude oil supply increases persist, but don't expect a free fall.
Y’all are raining on my parade, but seriously what’s the latest with a 100LL alternative they have been talking about for years? So if we can find a harmless alternative, then avgas could share the same transportation system? Don’t know why they just can’t add the LL when it gets to local depot?

Y’all are raining on my parade, but seriously what’s the latest with a 100LL alternative they have been talking about for years? So if we can find a harmless alternative, then avgas could share the same transportation system? Don’t know why they just can’t add the LL when it gets to local depot?
No industry is will to pay for it.

When I started flying 80 Octane AVGAS cost about the same as MOGAS since you got a tax refund because you were not using public roads. Yes, things were much better in the past. I even flew into KLAX no radio.

When I started my Dad would allow me to use 5 gallons per week. $.05 farm gas.

A huge portion of the price is tax to support airports and aviation infrastructure. Don’t expect to see $2 Avgas.

It’s $4.25 at my airport and they pump it for the same price as self serve. They drive the truck to the hangar and bill it to my American Express card they keep on record. It’s Heaven on Earth.

avgas is priced based on the market....not the supply. We're stupid...and continue to buy $6 gas....so they sell it.

Probably good that "they" sell it. Otherwise what would be our alternative? :confused:

Liability my friend. Liability. Every control point must have sample analyses on file. The more points where the composition is changed the more sampling, record keeping and variation risk.

These days the refiners risk getting sued by the estate even when some nitwit runs his plane out of avgas and kills himself. Can you imagine the nightmare if every jobber is blending additives. Shell and Exxon ain't goin' there.

Probably good that "they" sell it. Otherwise what would be our alternative? :confused:
Liability my friend. Liability. Every control point must have sample analyses on file. The more points where the composition is changed the more sampling, record keeping and variation risk.

These days the refiners risk getting sued by the estate even when some nitwit runs his plane out of avgas and kills himself. Can you imagine the nightmare if every jobber is blending additives. Shell and Exxon ain't goin' there.
but....I don't buy it. I'm cheap and tanker gas where it's cheap.... :D

So there is 94 octane auto gas, I wonder how much the 6 octane is needed? If they let us go full electronic ignition, could we run hi octane auto fuel?

So there is 94 octane auto gas, I wonder how much the 6 octane is needed? If they let us go full electronic ignition, could we run hi octane auto fuel?

the automotive and the aviation octane scales (formulas) are different.

the old 80 octane aviation fuel was a very similar blend to the old regular (87 octane) leaded auto gas.

100LL is about 110 octane on the auto scale.

When I started my Dad would allow me to use 5 gallons per week. $.05 farm gas.
That was in the pre-Wright Brothers days, right? ;)
I remember paying $0.29/gallon for road taxed gasoline during a gas price war, half a century or so in the past. The least I've ever paid for avgas was $1.55/gallon; I'm sure it was cheaper when I first learned, but I was paying for wet rental, so I didn't care.

That was in the pre-Wright Brothers days, right? ;)
I remember paying $0.29/gallon for road taxed gasoline during a gas price war, half a century or so in the past. The least I've ever paid for avgas was $1.55/gallon; I'm sure it was cheaper when I first learned, but I was paying for wet rental, so I didn't care.
I was working for my Dad, 1954.
When I was in trade school I pump gas for $.08 gas wars prices. normal price was $.29.

many aircraft engines would be happy on 91 octane pump gas as long as it doesn't have ethanol in it.

I was working for my Dad, 1954.
When I was in trade school I pump gas for $.08 gas wars prices. normal price was $.29.

About the same time, Hartford CT had gas war prices of $0.179/gallon. Fill your car up for $3!

The 100LL prices take 6 months to move to start moving down and 3 days to start moving up.

Last edited:
The 100LL prices take 6 months to move to start moving done and 3 days to start moving up.
start selling gas with “honest pricing” then ... if what you wrote is true you will make a killing.

start selling gas with “honest pricing” then ... if what you wrote is true you will make a killing.

It works great if your inventory is zero. But if you have 5000 gallons and the price drops 50 cents you lose money when you lower your price. If you bought at the bottom end and don’t raise your price along with increases, you lost money again because you don’t have the capital for the next load.

Back