Chasing the IFR Rating

tehmightypirate

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TehMightyPirate
Chasing the IFR Rating

So, I decided to create this thread to document my progress toward the IFR rating, provide a place to organize my thoughts, and also post various videos and photos from my flying.

I currently have 78.8 hours total flight time, 4.4 simulated instrument hours, 15.3 hours cross country. So I have a ways to go before my ticket. My plan so far is to get the cross-country and much of the simulated IFR done with my father as safety pilot.

I will mostly be flying the club Cessna 172 SP with the Garmin G1000. However, I also want to try to get a fair amount of time in the (much) older Cessna 152 which is /U. That way I can feel confident with both the technologically advanced cockpit and the ol' steam gauges.

Attachments

• 2013-11-02 13.55.31.jpg
    2013-11-02 13.55.31.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 2013-11-02 13.45.55.jpg
    2013-11-02 13.45.55.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-m4MuXUtnA

My first video! This was recorded about three weeks ago (11/19/2013).

I was getting the final transition training for the G1000 cockpit. At this point I was fairly proficient with it so we decided to do a quick RNAV (GPS) approach into Old Town, Maine.

We also did some private pilot proficiency checks; slow flight, steep turns, turns around a point, and so on.

Finally we flew back into Bangor for a nice and easy nighttime landing. Overall it was a very fun flight which went very well. I think I'm ready to start my IFR training.

Camera was a GoPro Hero 3 White attached to my headset.

Alright, looking forward to reading your progress! I just did my first instrument training flight today.

What are your thoughts on the headset mounted camera view? I've tried it as well and it may be good for your review after flights but it is dang hard for the average viewer to watch say some. I tend to agree but then maybe the viewer isn't why you are making these.

I just started my Inst rating training as well. Fun and challenging stuff!

What are your thoughts on the headset mounted camera view? I've tried it as well and it may be good for your review after flights but it is dang hard for the average viewer to watch say some. I tend to agree but then maybe the viewer isn't why you are making these.

I just started my Inst rating training as well. Fun and challenging stuff!

I concur. I was getting dizzy by three minutes. Good luck with your training!

Thanks for the interest everyone.

I like the head mount for the ability to always be looking in the same direction as I am but, yes, it's not optimal. The problem is I only have the VHB sticky mounts right now and they don't want me putting them on the nice plane. I might get a suction cup mount and use that at some point. I'll experiment with different mounting techniques as I go along but I think most of them will be headset mounted. I might also try some sort of clip onto the panel and just point it at the instrument. I could also try resting it on the dash and point it straight out the front.

In my next video it's almost all simulated IFR with very little head movement, makes for a much more stable video.

I vidoed a couple instrument lessons and they're on YouTube, but I could care less. The intrument rating is the HARDEST rating of them all, so good luck. Study TONS and fly the system.

http://youtu.be/gLyvySf2Zp8

All right, got the video from today uploaded (or at least it should be uploaded soon). This was a flight with my father as safety pilot from Bangor, Maine to Millinocket, Maine. Just long enough to get the cross-country hours.

Flew to Millinocket and did the RNAV (GPS) approach to a gusty landing. Then back to Bangor for an ILS approach using the autopilot to see how it handled the gusty weather (pretty well!).

It was a great experience as I had never flown a flight from start to finish IFR. Nor had I flown this much in IFR or in turbulent conditions. The combination of hand-flying and autopilot flying worked out well so that I could not get fatigued for no reason but could still practice the basics and not get reliant on the autopilot. As I become more comfortable managing my time flying and fiddling with charts/G1000 I'll probably be using the autopilot less and less.

After this flight I have 80.8 hours of total flight time: 6.2 simulated instrument hours, 17.3 hours cross-country.

It's a long video so I don't blame anyone for skipping around. For those who are really curious the full 45 minutes or so should be fairly interesting as I cut out anything truly boring. A couple of places in the video I overlayed the approach plates that I was using.

Last edited:
My plan so far is to get the cross-country and much of the simulated IFR done with my father as safety pilot.
I hope that plan includes getting training from an instrument instructor on each task before going out to practice those tasks with your father -- unless, of course, your father is an instrument instructor. Otherwise, there's too much chance of just reinforcing bad habits or poor procedures.

I will mostly be flying the club Cessna 172 SP with the Garmin G1000. However, I also want to try to get a fair amount of time in the (much) older Cessna 152 which is /U. That way I can feel confident with both the technologically advanced cockpit and the ol' steam gauges.
I would also suggest that you stick with one aircraft for the IR training -- something about changing horses in the middle of the stream. Once you get the rating you can get up to speed in the other system.

I hope that plan includes getting training from an instrument instructor on each task before going out to practice those tasks with your father -- unless, of course, your father is an instrument instructor. Otherwise, there's too much chance of just reinforcing bad habits or poor procedures.

I would also suggest that you stick with one aircraft for the IR training -- something about changing horses in the middle of the stream. Once you get the rating you can get up to speed in the other system.

:yeahthat:

Hmmm, well, I do a LOT of self-study so I would hope I'm not developing bad habits but I see your point. The problem is I need lots of cross-country and simulated IFR so if I were to do it all with an instructor I'd spend about 50% more money, be tied down to an instructors schedule, and generally take a lot longer to get my hours causing me to have to spread things out even more than I already plan to (which is pretty spread out).

Actually, that's a part of the reasons that I'm planning to post all these videos. If anyone sees any area of improvement let me know. I'd love for any pointers or tips.

As for my father he's a MECL rated pilot with about 500 hours and he's a retired teacher. Plus he and I have been flying together for years so he knows me quite well. I'd say he's probably more qualified than some CFII in terms of teaching me the basics. That said, yes, I will definitely try to balance out what I read, what my father teaches me, what I find in video lessons, and what my instructor(s) teach me. I plan to do a balance of going with an instructor about 25% of the time and going with my father 75% of the time, switching over to entirely with my instructor once I get the majority of my cross-country time done.

All that said, I do very much see your point. But what alternative do I have? Just not fly for 2 years and save up enough money to bang it all out in a few months? That sounds much worse in my mind (and also REALLY boring). I'm not getting my IFR for any need, simply to set a goal for my flying. If it takes me 50 hours and 2 years to get it safely and correctly then so be it.

You think? I doubt I will fly the G1000 for the rest of my life? I suppose for getting the rating then, yes, it would make sense to only use one aircraft but I'm training for completeness. I don't want to rely on all the technology of the G1000. I want to make sure I can fly in the soup with only the basics. Also the 152 is half price. :D That said, I do plan to do at least 75% of my training in the G1000 172.

I'm not trying to be critical, you've hit on a good point. I definitely value everyone's opinion on this matter.

Last edited:
You think?
Yes, I think, based on a couple of thousand hours of instrument training given.

I doubt I will fly the G1000 for the rest of my life? I suppose for getting the rating then, yes, it would make sense to only use one aircraft
Glad you see my point.

but I'm training for completeness.
Nobody says you can't continue to expand your horizons after you get the rating.

I don't want to rely on all the technology of the G1000. I want to make sure I can fly in the soup with only the basics.
Train with me in a G1000, and you will certainly be able to do that, since I'll be killing things left and right during training.

Also the 152 is half price. :D That said, I do plan to do at least 75% of my training in the G1000 172.
If cost is an issue, do all the training in one plane -- that will be more efficient.

If cost is an issue, do all the training in one plane -- that will be more efficient.

And to Ron's other point....maybe get a handful of initial IR training hours in with your CFII up front in the 152 so you're getting a solid foundation, then transition to the flying with your Dad. It may have been a few years since your Dad got his IR, so you might want to get off on the right foot with the guy that's going to ultimately sign you off for the ride.

Will be following this also...about to start my IR as well.

...subscribed. :)

I'm planning on doing mine next year...debating on dragging it out or just biting the bullet and getting the written done and heading to one of those 'get it done in a week or two' training schools.

Good luck!

Good luck. I am just starting myself. Going to knockout written first and then build XC time then do an accelerated program.

Yes, I think, based on a couple of thousand hours of instrument training given.
Don't get me wrong, I highly value your experience. Just forgive me if I question everything. I'd be a poor student if I didn't.

Nobody says you can't continue to expand your horizons after you get the rating.
Hmmmm, I suppose? I've always thought the same way but, until now, everyone has told me that if I didn't do steam gauges during my training I'd be punishing myself. I have no problem doing only the G1000. If anything that will make things super, super easy.

Train with me in a G1000, and you will certainly be able to do that, since I'll be killing things left and right during training.

I would love to. I'm getting a little annoyed at my current instructor and I'm going to start shopping around again before I get too involved with him.

Point well taken. Plus the 172 is just a nicer plane. If I'm doing this for fun as well as a rating it seems a shame to not use it. :)

Alright, you've pretty much convinced me. I think I'll just bag the 152 all together. I'll practice steam gauges on the PC simulator on my own time but focus mostly on the G1000 172.

And to Ron's other point....maybe get a handful of initial IR training hours in with your CFII up front in the 152 so you're getting a solid foundation, then transition to the flying with your Dad. It may have been a few years since your Dad got his IR, so you might want to get off on the right foot with the guy that's going to ultimately sign you off for the ride.
Makes sense, I'll do some flying in the 152 if I feel like I need it but otherwise I'll stick with the 172 and the G1000. If, after I get my rating, I'm not flying a glass cockpit then I'll get more practice with a CFII on my own. Otherwise I'll just do self-study and work on steam gauges on my PC simulator.

Also, yes, my Dad is quite out of practice and is learning the G1000 with me. I know he isn't up to the same level as even a new IFR trainee but he has been around enough to make sure I have some pointers and direction and he is IFR current so he can take me into actual or file IFR for me if/when I get to that point.

Last edited:
Will be following this also...about to start my IR as well.
...subscribed. :)

I'm planning on doing mine next year...debating on dragging it out or just biting the bullet and getting the written done and heading to one of those 'get it done in a week or two' training schools.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I've also debated on dragging it out verses biting the bullet. For me personally it made more sense to drag it out, but I would recommend biting the bullet if all other things are equal. I hope this thread helps you as much as it will likely help me.

Good luck. I am just starting myself. Going to knockout written first and then build XC time then do an accelerated program.

Sounds great! I wish you luck as well. Just remember that the written has a time limit, that's one reason I'm going to wait a bit till I take mine.

Don't get me wrong, I highly value your experience. Just forgive me if I question everything. I'd be a poor student if I didn't.
No problem.

Hmmmm, I suppose? I've always thought the same way but, until now, everyone has told me that if I didn't do steam gauges during my training I'd be punishing myself.
There are those who say that, but I'm not one of them. Whatever you expect to fly later, train on that now. If that's glass, train on glass. If that's an old 6-pack Cessna 150, train on that. Either way, it's a different world when you make the transition, so you'll need some training to get there, but don't make the IR training harder than it has to be.

I have no problem doing only the G1000. If anything that will make things super, super easy.
My personal experience doing IR training courses is that if you want "easy," do the training in a 6-pack plane with dual VOR and nothing more. The G1000 adds a myriad of additional knowledge and skills to the package.

I would love to. I'm getting a little annoyed at my current instructor and I'm going to start shopping around again before I get too involved with him.
1-800-I-FLY-IFR.

Alright, you've pretty much convinced me. I think I'll just bag the 152 all together. I'll practice steam gauges on the PC simulator on my own time but focus mostly on the G1000 172.
Rather than teaching yourself on that sim, just ask your instructor to train with on on that. But I still recommend you skip that until you've completed the training with the G1000 and have the new rating on your ticket.

Also, yes, my Dad is quite out of practice and is learning the G1000 with me.
Then get him to ride along in the back while you're training on that system. Otherwise, it's "the halt leading the blind" and that doesn't do either of you any good.

My personal experience doing IR training courses is that if you want "easy," do the training in a 6-pack plane with dual VOR and nothing more. The G1000 adds a myriad of additional knowledge and skills to the package.
I don't want it easy, I'm finishing up my exams to be a licensed structural engineer which is one of the hardest licenses to get in the world in my opinion. Point taken, though. I imagine it will be harder but that's fine. I don't mind harder plus I'd rather learn it now because I give it about a 60% chance that this will be the plane I use after my ticket for a long time to come.
1-800-I-FLY-IFR.
I'll bite; about how much will it cost me?
Rather than teaching yourself on that sim, just ask your instructor to train with on on that. But I still recommend you skip that until you've completed the training with the G1000 and have the new rating on your ticket.
Okay, I'll do that. I have no problem leaving that out.
Then get him to ride along in the back while you're training on that system. Otherwise, it's "the halt leading the blind" and that doesn't do either of you any good.
Well, let me clarify. We're both checked out and proficient with the G1000. However, we're not experienced. We know how it works and how to make it do what we want. That said, we definitely are not 100% up to speed on everything. My Dad took about 5 years off of flying and about 8 years off of IFR. He's just now getting caught back up. We both don't fly much more than 10 hours a month, but much of our flying is together or with one of us in the back seat.

I do see your point, though. I'll see what I can do to get an instructor up with me a few times before I dive out on my own to get the simulated and cross-country done. That said, I'm comfortable enough on my own so if that doesn't pan out I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

Amen. I flew three different planes, differently equipped while working on my IR. Finally settled in on the C-172 /G that I took the ride in.

What did I learn in flying three different planes?

/U stinks. The club's Arrow lacks DME and that really is a pain (plus limits available approaches).

/A is doable. A pair of VOR receivers, one glideslope, and ADF plus DME makes for a fairly capable aircraft. Plus, in this case it is a C-182 and that is a comfortable bird to fly.

/G is great. All the approaches are loaded in the GNS 430W, it gives you a countdown timer to turns and makes life much easier, once you learn how to use it (and when to ignore it). A C-172 works fine for all this.

I had other causes for delays and extra time, but sticking with a single plane would have been good, too.

one piece of advice i would give to you is try doing your XC PIC time IFR with your dad. fly the system and get used to it. use the hood and have your dad show you how to file and pick different routes. almost all of my PIC XC for IFR was done filing IFR, of course you can't log actual but find a relatively nice day and file IFR. it might be hard now with freezing levels and icing but try to do it. If anything you can just cancel and continue VFR. good luck with your training! its one of the most important ratings you'll get

/G is great. All the approaches are loaded in the GNS 430W, it gives you a countdown timer to turns and makes life much easier, once you learn how to use it (and when to ignore it). A C-172 works fine for all this.

I had other causes for delays and extra time, but sticking with a single plane would have been good, too.

Good to hear, I'm entirely set on doing it all in one aircraft now. It also makes sense that with all the features of the G1000 really I'll get more learning done rather than less. I can figure out how to deal with less and steam gauges later.

In other news; something I made today is a short video where I talk about a neat feature of the G1000. If you guys like these let me know and I'll make more of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYXPNpeHR0
(Sorry about the blast of sound at the start, too close to the mic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYXPNpeHR0

Last edited:
one piece of advice i would give to you is try doing your XC PIC time IFR with your dad. fly the system and get used to it. use the hood and have your dad show you how to file and pick different routes. almost all of my PIC XC for IFR was done filing IFR, of course you can't log actual but find a relatively nice day and file IFR. it might be hard now with freezing levels and icing but try to do it. If anything you can just cancel and continue VFR. good luck with your training! its one of the most important ratings you'll get

Well, here's an interesting question. If my father files and is PIC as far as plane safety and regulations are concerned can't I also log time in actual instrument, as PIC (only person handling the controls)?

Either way though, I completely agree. I need to see and use the system as well as pretend to use it. IFR flight planning is definitely a weakness of mine. I think I will need a little more personal practice to feel comfortable enough not to get my father in trouble if I mess up before he can catch it but, yes, I definitely would like to do that soon. Great idea, thanks.

Well, here's an interesting question. If my father files and is PIC as far as plane safety and regulations are concerned can't I also log time in actual instrument, as PIC (only person handling the controls)?
Yes, you can.

Good luck on that, too, MightyPirate!
Eagerly awaiting the day one exam results. Should be here any day now. This is probably the biggest time stuck in my life currently. I should have a bunch more time once I get this out of the way.

Back