Changing Flight ID in a GTN 750

glajfa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
glajfa
Hi------Wondering if anyone knows how to change the Flight ID on a GTN 750. I fly a bunch of Angel Flights, and got a nasty gram from the FAA saying that I operated in and out of Class B (BOS) using my Angel Flight call sign (NGF 1814) while my ADSB was transmitting my tail #. How can you change the ID temporarily to utilize the Angel Flight call sign? thanks

What transponder do you have? I’m going to assume it’s a Garmin and interfaced to the GTN. If the transponder is configured for pilot editable flight ID (it’s a setting in the transponder configuration) then there should be a flight ID button on the transponder code entry screen for changing that.

the tail number is coded in the transponder. You''ll have to get in to the transponder settings to change it.

Need more info.

What is your ads-b solution and transponder model?

If using a gdl-88, hold HOME button on gtn and power on. Go into EXTERNAL SYSTEM then into the gdl and change flight id. Restart gtn after that.

If using a later model Garmin transponder, you have to change setting that allows flight is to be changed. Once you change that value, you simply change flight id after transponder is powered up. Others mentioned this in prior posts.

As everyone else said, it depends on three things.

1. What transponder is it?
2. Has the transponder been set up to enable changing Flight ID?
3. Do you access transponder functions from a transponder unit visible in the panel or via your GTN.

I have a gtx32 that runs through the gtn750. My ADSB solution is Gdl-88. On mine, the flight ID shows up in a box on the bottom of the page where you put your squawk code in, and can be changed there. Iirc there's a setting in the gtn configuration menu to turn that feature on, but it's been a couple years.

The gtx345r is also capable; I'm not sure about any other transponders. I've gotten the nastygram twice now. Once because I just forgot, and once because the flight ID reverts to tail number on power cycle and I didn't notice.

Back