Change cig lighter to USB power?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
What item exists to permanently change over a Cessna's cig lighter to a USB power port that will run and charge an iPad?

Mike, are you really looking for a "permanent" modification? I was going to suggest the same type of thing Renjamin did, but that obviously wouldn't be permanent (but good enough).

A word about "charging" iPads from a lighter plug. I had my iPad 3 plugged in for the ~3 hour flight back from Oshkosh last year. It gained about 3% battery charge over that time, running Foreflight, and maybe Myflightbook app as well. So, don't expect a real "charge" while using it in flight, but it will at least prevent the battery from dying.

Why not just buy a flush mount USB car charger, leave it in the socket and call it a day? That's what I do. Looks like it was built in.

I use this, works perfectly. I picked it up at lowes for like 30$

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    980.6 KB · Views: 67
I had my iPad 3 plugged in for the ~3 hour flight back from Oshkosh last year. It gained about 3% battery charge over that time, running Foreflight, and maybe Myflightbook app as well. So, don't expect a real "charge" while using it in flight, but it will at least prevent the battery from dying.

This is my biggest qualm with the ipad 3. with a 2.1Amp USB charger I can either A. Charge it at about 15-20% charger per hour plugged in (screen off), or B. Maintain charge (or lose about 5% an hour depending on brightness) and actually use foreflight.

My current job has me in the cockpit for 6+ hours at a time and I've experimented with different chargers and different setting combos. I mostly just use FF to check my route of flight to check for obstructions and airspace so most of the time the charge isn't an issue.

Here's the current charger I use
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-O...Design/dp/B007TV88F2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It works great on ipad 1 and 2, it's just the 3 that has a hard time charging even with 2.1Amps. Hell, the 3 even on the wall takes 4+ hours to charge for me.

I imagine the OP wants a more permanent solution but that is my experience for what it's worth

This is my biggest qualm with the ipad 3. with a 2.1Amp USB charger I can either A. Charge it at about 15-20% charger per hour plugged in (screen off), or B. Maintain charge (or lose about 5% an hour depending on brightness) and actually use foreflight.

This has not been my experience. I wonder if your 12V outlet is not providing standard voltage and amperage.
I have used and charged my IPad 3 running FF from a 2.1 amp iPad charger.

I would not change over the cig lighter - just use an adapter. The reason is that 7 years ago the iPhone did not exist and no one was charging things using USB. The cell phones all had those dedicated specialty specific phone only chargers the providers charged $29.99 for no matter how complex, how much power or whatever - then bb tried the USB and then the USB mini - and now we have the specialty apple one and the various Android ones - who the F knows what will be relevant in 7 years from now - might all be wireless for all we know -

Plus permanent means paperwork.

I like the one Elmetal suggested and might try that.

Good thing I already own a Bightline bag. I keep finding a need for more and more small gadgets!

Go into almost any truck stop and you'll find a plug in adapter that will do the trick. No modification required.

Plug an inverter into it then you can use the Apple chargers as well as any other 115V item under the Amp allowance.

A word about "charging" iPads from a lighter plug. I had my iPad 3 plugged in for the ~3 hour flight back from Oshkosh last year. It gained about 3% battery charge over that time, running Foreflight, and maybe Myflightbook app as well. So, don't expect a real "charge" while using it in flight, but it will at least prevent the battery from dying.

You've gotta get one of the newer 2.1-amp capable adapters. Less than that, it's worthless.

some may have better filters than others

A note on 24v systems, look at the specs on the charger. Most good quality chargers will handle 24v input (they will say something like "input: 10-30v, 'X many' amps")

Why not just buy a flush mount USB car charger, leave it in the socket and call it a day? That's what I do. Looks like it was built in.
The convertor that's powerful enough to supply newer iPads typically requires convection cooling. It is not going to get cooled if flush inside the socket and will melt down.

Get a Scosche charger that can handle 12 and 24V systems. With a bad-elf GPS it charges right thru the GPS into the iPad. Not sure about iPad 3's. Works fine with 1 and 2's

Looks nearly identical doesn't it?

Compare a $900 Cessna 310 tip-tank fuel circulator pump to a $50 Facet universal fuel pump from Pep Boys some time. For bonus points, peel off the Cessna label and observe the Facet logo and "NOT FOR AIRCRAFT USE" label underneath it.

Compare a $900 Cessna 310 tip-tank fuel circulator pump to a $50 Facet universal fuel pump from Pep Boys some time. For bonus points, peel off the Cessna label and observe the Facet logo and "NOT FOR AIRCRAFT USE" label underneath it.

Are you insinuating that "certified" aircraft parts may be relabeled (sometimes poorly relabeled) automotive parts?

Are you insinuating that "certified" aircraft parts may be relabeled (sometimes poorly relabeled) automotive parts?

Actually I'm pretty sure they were agricultural parts.

Actually I'm pretty sure they were agricultural parts.

I'm just giving you a hard time :cool2:

I like your observation tho, but it doesn't surprise me. OEM's get all thier suff from suppliers many of whom make mostly automotive parts to stay afloat.

Back