Champion T-Handle Spark Plug Lead Wrench $$$

robertb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
robertb
So I've been doing owner assisted annuals at my mechanic's shop for 20 years. I respect and appreciate his tool box and all the nice goodies I get to borrow while working on my plane. I've recently decided to splurge a bit and equip my own hangar with a few "nice to have but certainly not needed" items. One of which is a Champion t-handle plug lead wrench. I made a mistake an managed to get a great deal on one. But, I bought the incorrect size. I got the 3/4 inch CT-911 but for my bird I need the 7/8th inch CT-912. I can only find those for about $300 and that is above my budget. I understand it is a specialty tool but $300? Ouch! Anyone have one and want to trade?

The photo is the one I have.

Attachments

• 20231021_154940.jpg
    20231021_154940.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 23
Been an aircraft mech for 20 years, never used one nor owned one.

I got the 3/4 inch CT-911 but for my bird I need the 7/8th inch CT-912.
To add, I got my Champion T-handle wrenches free from Champion rep many years ago. Never used them. Perhaps apply that money toward a set of flare nut wrenches if looking for a "specialty" tool? They're similar, but at least with those you can use them on other things than just plugs.

I would buy a cheaper welder and make one before buying that $300 wrench. Sure its not as fast but the reward will be way more.

Ok, ok. I hear ya. It's a solution looking for a problem. But, if you have used one, you'll know how easy it is to get to the leads off the bottom plugs. And, I'll never over-tighten the lead nuts unless I put a cheater bar on the t-handle. ;)

Ok, ok. I hear ya. It's a solution looking for a problem. But, if you have used one, you'll know how easy it is to get to the leads off the bottom plugs. And, I'll never over-tighten the lead nuts unless I put a cheater bar on the t-handle. ;)

Time to start a homemade wrench challenge thread here.

Honestly, a set of crows feet and one extension with a small piece of pipe welded to it for the T handle would work.

I thought 45 bucks was a lot of money for a socket.
I can’t see the benefit of 300 plus for that T handle wrench.
But I bet there is a need for it for some engines?

I copied made many custom tools and tool trays to service race cars. Mostly top alcohol dragsters. We used the tools several times a day under a time deadline. Each side of the car had their own set of tools.

It was rewarding.
But now I am too lazy to make a tool when it can be had with a few clicks.

When I was racing not every tool was commercially available.

Last edited:
you'll know how easy it is to get to the leads off the bottom plugs.
I guess I never found it hard to remove the leads using regular wrenches??
I'll never over-tighten the lead nuts unless I put a cheater bar on the t-handle.
So how do you know if you have applied enough torque or the proper torque to the lead nuts?

I guess I never found it hard to remove the leads using regular wrenches??

So how do you know if you have applied enough torque or the proper torque to the lead nuts?
I don't. But I've seen guys apply to much. They can tell because the lead nuts are cracked. :)

I don't. But I've seen guys apply to much.
And the easiest way to prevent that is to simply follow what value the OEM recommends torquing the lead nuts to. Your T-handle wrench won't provide that option to you. Regardless, in my experience I've found a lot more loose spark plug lead B-nuts than cracked B-nuts due to the fear of cracking them.

At one time I had a set of P & W wrenches including the Lead Wrench.

My belief is it was a lot more helpful on Radials rather than Contis and

Lycomings. Maybe we would pull some plugs with the Cowl ON?

Back