CFL vs Incandescent

Once upon a time, maybe. But it was apparently decided that this should change. And to change it back would involve depriving people of the right to vote, in the exclusive name of "we don't like what you're doing with that vote, we know better."

And, again, if that's what your viewpoint is, that's perfectly fine. But it sure does undermine a whole lot of the talking points we hear from time to time.
I don't think there is anything apparent about it. A Constitutional Amendment was created and passed stating that Senators would no be elected by the people. But that does not mean it was the best thing that could have been done nor does it mean that the fundamental nature of the government, as designed by the founders, was changed. We also know that there is a history of Constitutional Amendments that were just plain wrong. A repeal amendment was then subsequently passed to fix the damage from the previous amendment.

We know that in the late 19th and early 20th century in this country that the evangelical got a so called behavior modification law passed called the Volstead Act and when that did not work they managed to get the 18th Amendment to the US Constitution passed and then ratified by the states.

Later when money was needed and people just plain did not like being told what to do a larger group of conservative Democrats and Catholic got the 21st Amendment passed to repeal the 18th.

The 17th Amendment could also be similarly repealed if enough people felt strongly enough that the importance of state's rights would be restored through a return to the original design of the legislative body of this country. To do that would also cause a lot of changes to have to be made in each state as I am sure their constitutions would require modification on how senators would be selected. It was the lack of clear guidelines in the states that lead to the establishment of the 17th Amendment in the first place.

So if state legislatures choose Senators, that just eliminates the general election, there are still primaries, no? You can't stop parties from choosing their nominees.
-harry
Maybe, maybe not. Each state would get to decide how to pick their Senators. Some could still use popular election as that happened prior to the 17th Amendment. Some could use the state legislature of governor as the appointive body. Each state would have to decide for itself. Repeal of the 17th Amendment is a boost for state's rights. That it is not on the table for discussion is one of the indicators to me that the whole current state's rights issue is nothing more than a smoke screen for one political party to complain about not getting their way.

This is a 100+ page market analysis report. If there's something specific you'd like to draw our attention to, please do so.

Okay, since the back of your envelope was apparently unavailable due to a schedule conflict, I'll do the arithmetic for you.

In that paper they took a bunch of CFL bulbs, cycled them off and on repeatedly, and measured how long it took them to fail. The shortest time cycle they measured was 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off. They tested a number of different 15w-23w models. With that short cycle time they found average lifetimes ranging anywhere from 500 to 4000 hrs, with the average across the different models being about 1500hrs.

So we'll use that as our estimate of CFL life expectancy under a "short cycle" usage pattern, i.e. a range of 500 hrs to 4000hrs with 1500hrs typical.

Looking at my last electric bill, looks like I'm paying about $.10/kwh. If we compare a 26w CFL to a 100w incandescent, the CFL saves about $7.30 per thousand hours of operation.

Based on a 6-pack of GE 26w CFLs and 100w incandescents, a CFL looks to cost about $2.30/bulb and an incandescent about $.50/bulb, for about a $1.80 price difference.

Once we add the purchase price to the cost to operate, we hit break-even at the 250hr mark. Once both bulbs have been operated for 250hr, we've spent exactly $3 for each.

So as long as the incandescent and CFL last at least 250hrs, the CFL's higher efficiency will pay for its price difference. That's half of the worst case bulb and worst case cycle time they tried in that test, and most bulbs lasted over 1000 hrs, even in that worst-case short-period cycle test.

BTW, note that those test results were based on the worst cycle period, the worst bulb they tested, and this test was done with bulbs on the market 13 years ago.
-harry

I thought this was 'all about the children' and the rampant mercury poisoning the incandescents are causing. Just look that math on this goverment publication (and we all know the goverment knows best):

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

In their world, operating incandescents for 8000hrs will put out 5.5mg of mercury, CFLs only 1.6mg. Based on the data quoted above, the average cycling time for a fixture in a single-family-detached home is 30 minutes instead of the 3hrs the fixtures are rated at with some rooms having even shorter cycles. If the CFL lasts 1000hrs (which is optimistic in my experience), the mercury released is back up to 4.7mg, if they last 500hrs (which the data supports) we are looking at 8.2mg, oops.

Bloomberg column on the light bulb thing pretty well covers it...
So you agree that the bulb ban is a bad thing, and, as the article suggests, electricity bills should be raised so that consumers are motivated to conserve that way, but get to choose how they do it?
-harry

And good luck getting incandescent bulbs. Doesn't the law prohibit selling them after 1/2012?

That's what I thought. So I stocked up on flame-shaped 60W incandescent bulbs for the ceiling fans and bathrooms, since CFLs don't fit or look good there.

Then I learned that those bulbs won't be banned in 2012. Oops.

Two things I learned from this:

1. I still don't know exactly which 'specialty' bulbs will still be sold, and until when. The details don't seem to be easy to find.

2. If I amass a three-year supply of incandescents, it takes more storage space than I've really got available.

Maybe, maybe not. Each state would get to decide how to pick their Senators...
If the Governor does the selection, then there's no room for a specific Senatorial primary, though I suspect that Governors will end up aligning themselves with Senators much like Presidents run with VPs, to the extent that's possible given the synchronization of their respective terms.

But if the legislature picks the candidate then you can be certain that political parties are going to put forth a single candidate to the legislature for consideration. There are only so many ways that this single candidate can be chosen, and a popular vote is the most plausible.
-harry

So you agree that the bulb ban is a bad thing, and, as the article suggests, electricity bills should be raised so that consumers are motivated to conserve that way, but get to choose how they do it?
-harry

If we think that using electricity is a bad thing yes.

At the risk of getting a foghorn in the buzzword bingo, the greater efficiency gains can be made with smart-grid technologies and improved residential construction. Running energy hog appliances like dishwashers and and laundry during off-peak hours triggered by a signal from the utility. Using low-E windows, insulated attics and adding shutters or awnings to sun-side windows. Running a geothermal heat-pump. Oh wait, that is stuff we already did 35 years ago, simply because we wanted to, not because we were told to.

I thought this was 'all about the children' and the rampant mercury poisoning the incandescents are causing.
Nobody is claiming that this is what it is about, and I made that clear the last time you made this false claim. This is primarily about reducing energy consumption, reducing its byproducts (carbon, pollutants like sulfur, nuclear waste), and reducing the expense of increased capacity while also saving consumers money.

You choose to make this "all about mercury" as needed when you think that you have an argument that sounds good on the basis of mercury, an argument which generally requires ignoring recycling of the bulbs. But the only reason we're even mentioning mercury is because CFLs have mercury in them, and so that's often used as an argument against them ("they're worse for the environment than what they're replacing!") If the goal was solely to reduce mercury, the proposed answer would probably not be a bulb that contains mercury.

Coal generation releases millions of tons of CO2, thousands of tons of sulfur dioxide (acid rain) and nitrogen oxide (smog).
Just look that math on this goverment publication (and we all know the goverment knows best):

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf
I provided a link to this page earlier in this thread and you derided me for quoting "advertising fluff-pieces from the makers of CFLs, the goverment promoters of CFLs and their paid shills in academia". I guess you're okay with these sources now.
If the CFL lasts 1000hrs...
The source you provided earlier suggests that a 30 minute duty cycle would result in 3000-5000 hr lifetime for bulbs on the market 13 years ago.
... the mercury released is back up to 4.7mg, if they last 500hrs (which the data supports) we are looking at 8.2mg, oops.
If we assume an average 4000hr lifetime for bulbs, as determined by the references you provided, then we have:
CFL: .6mg from power generation, .44mg from landfilling = 1.04mg
incandescent: 2.75mg from power generation = 2.75mg

The breakeven point would be a lifetime of 830hrs, in which case both bulbs would release about .56mg.

So based on your sources, average bulbs from 13 years ago still release less mercury than incandescents even for a duty cycle of 5 minutes, which is 1/6 of the average duty cycle.

To prove your point you needed to assume a duty rate of 5 minutes, right after claiming that the average cycle rate was 30 minutes, you had to assume the very worst bulb tested from what was available 13 years ago, and you had to assume a recycling rate of 0%.

The recycling rate right now is quite low, but as incandescent use grows availability of recycling drop-off points will grow and the recycling rate will grow with it.
-harry

... the greater efficiency gains can be made ...
You're sharing a logical fallacy with that article quote above. The existence of other things we can do that have greater effect but which are not mutually exclusive with this action do not argue against this action, they argue for doing both.

Maybe diet is more effective than exercise, but that's not an argument for staying on the couch.
Oh wait, that is stuff we already did 35 years ago, simply because we wanted to, not because we were told to.
Most of the things you just mentioned don't exist in most homes. Geothermal heat pumps? The power company triggering your dishwasher? Smart grid technologies? Everybody had these 35 years ago?

I hope you're aware that there are federal standards for energy efficiency of appliances (much like the ones we're discussing for light bulbs), that the federal government created the Energystar program to label appliances that exceed those standards significantly, required appliances to be labeled with their energy consumption, and has offered tax deductions for home improvements that improve energy efficiency.
-harry

I don't think there is anything apparent about it. A Constitutional Amendment was created and passed stating that Senators would no be elected by the people. But that does not mean it was the best thing that could have been done nor does it mean that the fundamental nature of the government, as designed by the founders, was changed. We also know that there is a history of Constitutional Amendments that were just plain wrong. A repeal amendment was then subsequently passed to fix the damage from the previous amendment.

We know that in the late 19th and early 20th century in this country that the evangelical got a so called behavior modification law passed called the Volstead Act and when that did not work they managed to get the 18th Amendment to the US Constitution passed and then ratified by the states.

Later when money was needed and people just plain did not like being told what to do a larger group of conservative Democrats and Catholic got the 21st Amendment passed to repeal the 18th.

The 17th Amendment could also be similarly repealed if enough people felt strongly enough that the importance of state's rights would be restored through a return to the original design of the legislative body of this country. To do that would also cause a lot of changes to have to be made in each state as I am sure their constitutions would require modification on how senators would be selected. It was the lack of clear guidelines in the states that lead to the establishment of the 17th Amendment in the first place.

For sure, but we're not talking about booze or taxes. We're talking about bestowing the right to vote, and then taking it away in the name of not liking what's being voted for.

Another way to put that is, "I know better than you, and you're going to do what I tell you." The technical name for it would something like "oligarchy."

Now, I'm not saying that's either right or wrong, or would be better or worse. If enough people want such a system, whatever, that's what they want - enact it. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Now, I'm not saying that's either right or wrong, or would be better or worse. If enough people want such a system, whatever, that's what they want - enact it. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
I understand and I think that there is something to it. But that is why I jumped in and agreed with Randy. He and I agree on changing the way Senators get into office but we are seldom in agreement on what the Senate is currently doing. I just think that there is a non-I-don't-like-what-they-guys-in-the-US-Senate-are-doing argument to be made. Hopefully I conveyed that in my postings. That the current crop of 10 Amenders aka state's rights groupies are not looking to over turn the 17th Amendment tells me that they are more like the guys you are characterizing in your observation. I cannot disagree with that.

Most of the things you just mentioned don't exist in most homes. Geothermal heat pumps? The power company triggering your dishwasher? Smart grid technologies? Everybody had these 35 years ago?

The home I grew up in had this 35 years ago.

I hope you're aware that there are federal standards for energy efficiency of appliances (much like the ones we're discussing for light bulbs), that the federal government created the Energystar program to label appliances that exceed those standards significantly, required appliances to be labeled with their energy consumption, and has offered tax deductions for home improvements that improve energy efficiency.

Oh the famous energy-star program that allows the manufacturer to label a 'gasoline powered alarm clock' as compliant :wink2: .

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10470.pdf

I am all for labeling and transparency requirements. The educated consumer can look at the products offered and choose the one that suits a particular application. Take heating for example. If I have a hangar or shop that only needs heating a couple of hours a week, why should I be forced to put in a high-efficiency heat-pump if a propane air heater or furnace will do the same job with a lot less investment. Also, the heat pump will probably fail way before its rated time and release all its CFCs into the athmosphere, burn a giant hole in the ozone layer and cause cancer to some obscure animal in new zealand.

Luckily, the goverment hasn't outlawed electrical clothes-dryers yet. As we all know from 'King of the Hill' propane powered dryers are a lot more efficient than electrical ones :rofl: .

The home I grew up in had this 35 years ago.
And are you under the impression that these features have been widely adopted by consumers?
The educated consumer can look at the products offered and choose the one that suits a particular application...
What percentage of consumers are so educated that they can consider all the ridiculous dork principles we've been talking about in this thread, e.g. bulb cycle times and mercury released by coal plants and the impact of waste heat on air conditioning?
-harry

What percentage of consumers are so educated that they can consider all the ridiculous dork principles we've been talking about in this thread, e.g. bulb cycle times and mercury released by coal plants and the impact of waste heat on air conditioning?
-harry
What percentage of lawmakers have a clue about all of the issues involved? Is there any chance that they may have been improperly influenced by lobbyists, possibly from GE which has an especially incestuous relationship with the current administration?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...immelt-for-economy-panel-replace-volcker.html

Issues concerning technology are often much more complicated than they initially appear. As an example, wind turbines make a horrendous noise and kill birds including eagles in great numbers and do not reliably produce electricity.
http://www.theolympian.com/2011/06/10/1682112/turbines-killing-protected-eagles.html
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2008-11-03-windturbines_N.htm

I believe that there two primary reasons that the advocates of CFLs are fighting so vociferously to deprive consumers of choice, the belief in the supremacy of the state over the individual and environmental religious fanaticism. Gaia worship rewards the intention to do things deemed green over actual results.

If you really want to save energy outlaw GA. I will expend more energy on my next cross-country trip than I will ever save converting all of my incandescent bulbs to CFLs. We all should instead travel on a hybrid solar powered bus that travels at 40 mph.

And are you under the impression that these features have been widely adopted by consumers?

Energy is cheap. Once energy becomes more expensive, they will adopt those technologies.

Ah, I understand. The people are stupid and the goverment has to make decisions for them.

I knew we would get to the bottom of this at some point.

What percentage of lawmakers have a clue about all of the issues involved?
If the lawmakers, due to their cluelessness and the dark evil that lies in the recesses of their hearts, drafted a bad bill then all we need in order to make that determination is to see the text of the bill itself. Alternately, if their cluelessness and dark evil hearts were the motivation to make a good bill, that wouldn't lessen the merit of the legislation.

It's the product that's important, not the process. The reason we care about the process is because bad process can lead to bad legislation. Ultimately, once the legislation is done, we can evaluate it on its own merits.
As an example, wind turbines make a horrendous noise and kill birds including eagles in great numbers...
Sometimes it sucks to be a bird.
... and do not reliably produce electricity...
Wind and solar are certainly not 24x7 energy sources.
I believe that there two primary reasons that the advocates of CFLs are fighting so vociferously to deprive consumers of choice...
Hang on a second, let me put on my tri-corner tin-foil hat first... okay, got it, go ahead...
... the belief in the supremacy of the state over the individual and environmental religious fanaticism.
Silly me, I thought "uses less energy" and "saves money" were a win-win, but now I learn that CFLs are a win-win-win-win! Praise Gaia!
If you really want to save energy outlaw GA. I will expend more energy on my next cross-country trip than I will ever save converting all of my incandescent bulbs to CFLs.
We derive great value from GA, and it's elimination would be a loss. The value we derive from light bulbs is light, and CFLs provide that at lower cost and 25% of the energy consumption.

The "loss" we get from eliminating incandescent light bulbs is that it gets our tri-corner panties in a bunch when, through our government, we resolve to do something in a coordinated fashion.
-harry

If the lawmakers, due to their cluelessness and the dark evil that lies in the recesses of their hearts, drafted a bad bill then all we need in order to make that determination is to see the text of the bill itself. Alternately, if their cluelessness and dark evil hearts were the motivation to make a good bill, that wouldn't lessen the merit of the legislation.

It's the product that's important, not the process. The reason we care about the process is because bad process can lead to bad legislation. Ultimately, once the legislation is done, we can evaluate it on its own merits.

You have too much faith in the legislative process. It has become a spoils system for the politically well connected.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/10/greenbacks-for-green-energy/
Sometimes it sucks to be a bird.
Unless you are building a non-green power plant or factory or road or whatever, then they are Gaia's sacred creatures and will stop the project in it's tracks.
Wind and solar are certainly not 24x7 energy sources.

Hang on a second, let me put on my tri-corner tin-foil hat first... okay, got it, go ahead...
Not only do I have a tin hat but a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. I designed the lighting for several textile mills in Georgia and South Carolina. I am quite capable of making my own decisions on the concerning the proper choice of light bulbs in my own home.
Silly me, I thought "uses less energy" and "saves money" were a win-win, but now I learn that CFLs are a win-win-win-win! Praise Gaia!
There are issues concerning
We derive great value from GA, and it's elimination would be a loss. The value we derive from light bulbs is light, and CFLs provide that at lower cost and 25% of the energy consumption.

The "loss" we get from eliminating incandescent light bulbs is that it gets our tri-corner panties in a bunch when, through our government, we resolve to do something in a coordinated fashion.
-harry
Don't forget about the additional cost of a CFL and toxic mercury issues if they ever break. This could be an important concern in households with pets or small children. I just changed out another CFL, this one was in my garage. I have changed out many of the incandescent lamps in my home with CFLs but this was my decision. I do not need the State to tell me how to run every aspect of my life.

Energy is cheap. Once energy becomes more expensive, they will adopt those technologies.
Which you brought up as examples of technologies that consumers _already_ adopted on their own, thus proving that there is no need for government to step in and influence consumers.
Ah, I understand. The people are stupid and the goverment has to make decisions for them...
Consumers are imperfect, we sometimes choose to influence consumer choices to address societal concerns, and the government is our mechanism for doing this.

That's what it was when the government required seat belts in cars, when it required nutritional labeling, when it mandated higher fuel efficiency in cars, when it banned narcotics, when it took Thalidomide off the market, when it instituted a drinking age.
-harry

That's what it was when the government required seat belts in cars, when it required nutritional labeling, when it mandated higher fuel efficiency in cars, when it banned narcotics, when it took Thalidomide off the market, when it instituted a drinking age.
-harry
Fortunately Thalidomide is back on the market. It is a useful treatment for multiple myeloma, a very nasty disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001053/

You have too much faith in the legislative process.
I've made no evaluation of the legislative process except to say that the proof is in the pudding, and once you have the legislation in hand you should have confidence in your own ability to judge it on its merits.
Not only do I have a tin hat but a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering.
Well, then we have both matching hats _and_ diplomas!
I designed the lighting for several textile mills in Georgia and South Carolina.
What kind of lighting did you install there?
Don't forget about the additional cost of a CFL and toxic mercury issues if they ever break.
You're late to this party, we've covered all of this ad nauseum.

The additional cost of a CFL is quickly paid for through its reduced operating expenses, and it takes 125 CFLs to match the mercury in the thermometer that our moms used to stick in us when we were sick.
I do not need the State to tell me how to run every aspect of my life.
How many aspects is it running now, say, as a percentage?
-harry

Fortunately Thalidomide is back on the market. It is a useful treatment for multiple myeloma, a very nasty disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001053/
And also fortunately, when it was a major cause of birth defects, the government took it off the market, thus removing a choice from consumers, thus apparently insulting consumers and trying to run every aspect of their lives.
-harry

... I will expend more energy on my next cross-country trip than I will ever save converting all of my incandescent bulbs to CFLs...
If you run 6 100w incandescents for 5 hours a day, at the end of the year you've used about 1100 kwh, the equivalent of about 8 hrs of flight at 180HP. If you convert those incandescents to CFLs, you get back the equivalent of 6hrs of flight in energy savings.
-harry

If you run 6 100w incandescents for 5 hours a day, at the end of the year you've used about 1100 kwh, the equivalent of about 8 hrs of flight at 180HP. If you convert those incandescents to CFLs, you get back the equivalent of 6hrs of flight in energy savings.
-harry

Its been pointed out several times how this is incomplete comparison information. Yet, you keep ignoring that there are more criteria than just light for your savings. Initial cost is one, then reduced heat when one actually desires heat, so he must use other sources to get it. And then, how about the cost to re-build the house because that d*** causes a fire... I'm sure there are more that I haven't mentioned and you ignore. I get it, repeat the lie enough times and then someone will believe you.

Its been pointed out several times how this is incomplete comparison information.
He mentioned saving energy, I gave you the energy comparison.
Initial cost is one...
You'll find that addressed here:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=724111#post724111
... then reduced heat when one actually desires heat, so he must use other sources to get it...
Yes, the power savings advantage of a CFL is a 1x factor when the heat isn't running, a 0x factor when it is, and a 2x factor when the AC's on, as explained here:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=723234#post723234
And then, how about the cost to re-build the house because that d*** causes a fire...
I'm not sure when kind of "d***" you're referring to or why yours caught on fire.
I'm sure there are more that I haven't mentioned and you ignore.
I have many faults, but "ignoring" is not one of them, as demonstrated in this thread.
-harry

-harry
What? I cruise at 65% power or 135 HP. The engine has less than 100% efficiency and varies with a number of factors. It is easier to consider the energy content of the fuel burned. My 180 HP Lycoming burns about 10 gallons or 37.8 liters/hour. Eight hours of flight would burn 302 liters. The energy density of gasoline is about 34 MJ/liter so 8 hours of flight would burn 10,281 MJ.
3.6 MJ=1 kWh so 10,281 MJ = 2,856 kWh. I agree that six 100w bulbs burning a day consume 1100 kWh/yr. 2,856 kWh/1100 kWh/yr=2.6 years.
So 8 hours flight in my Diamond equals 2.6 years of burning 6 100w bulbs for 5 hours a day. Or did I screw up the calculations?
I fly about 150 hours a year which equals about 193,052 MJ or 53,625 kWh. The energy consumption by my GA airplane dwarfs the energy consumption from lighting my house. Forgive me Gaia.

Last edited:
For what applications do CFLs not work? I'll offer up "dimmer switches", as I'm yet to find a CFL that works well with one. Other than that?
-harry

Lava lamps. Easy bake ovens. For that matter, how are they as appliance bulbs/lamps?
:dunno:

You can buy incandescent light bulbs in CA. I recently bought some of those large round ones that go in bathroom fixtures above the sink. I think those are incandescent anyway... because they burn out quickly. :D

We just had one burn out too. The first one in 13 years! (we have about 20). If that's quickly, I wonder what you consider long lived? :rofl:

... It is easier to consider the energy content of the fuel burned...
I just converted 180HP into watts for a quick back-o-envelope comparison.

Maybe the most apropos comparison would be to convert into dollars. At the prices the local power company is charging me, we'd be talking $220/year. With avgas at about $6/gallon, that's about 37 gallons per year, which is something like 4 hrs of flight.
Energy consumption of a GA airplane dwarfs electricity consumption by lighting...
Absolutely. I think I figured out once that flying was about half my energy consumption, once you factor in car driving too.
-harry

Lava lamps. Easy bake ovens. For that matter, how are they as appliance bulbs/lamps?...
Appliance bulbs, the kind you find in your fridge and oven, are exempted from the new efficiency standards, and I think that covers your lava lamp.

Easy bake ovens don't use light bulbs any more, but if you have an old one, you are indeed in need of a 100w incandescent, as a more efficient bulb won't put out as much heat. There are specialty colored "heat bulbs" used for pet reptiles that should be exempt under the ban, a crafty home baker could go down that path.
-harry

attachment.php

Weeellll.

Just had to change two CFLs. The treasure pictured above comes from our laundry room. Now, let me be generous and assume that this fixture has not been changed in the 7 years since this house has been built. With an average usage of 15min per day, 365 days/year (yeah right, we do laundry every day including christmas), this CFL has lasted 638hrs.

Note the part where the base has started to melt and turn into coke :eek: . I had a couple like that before, one completely melted and I found all of the plastic in the bottom of the glass fixture, it had actually glued the glass part to the central post :no: .

The other one was in one of the kids bedrooms, it just died, the entire coil had turned grey....

Off to the toxic waste dump on monday :wink2: .

Attachments

• crappy_CFL_638hrs.JPG
    crappy_CFL_638hrs.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
... this CFL has lasted 638hrs.
Thus saving you $4.66 over its lifetime as a result of reduced power consumption. The bulb cost an extra $1.80, so was $2.86 cheaper than its incandescent counterpart, and reduced the emission of nasty stuffs into the atmosphere.
Off to the toxic waste dump on monday :wink2: .
That bulb gave it's life that you might save $2.86 and have a cleaner atmosphere. Remember to honor it with a moment of silence.
-harry

Thus saving you $4.66 over its lifetime as a result of reduced power consumption. The bulb cost an extra $1.80, so was $2.86 cheaper than its incandescent counterpart, and reduced the emission of nasty stuffs into the atmosphere.

That bulb gave it's life that you might save $2.86 and have a cleaner atmosphere. Remember to honor it with a moment of silence.
-harry

....it also tried to kill me in my sleep.

The 'nasty stuffs in the atmosphere' balance for this CFL was still negative. Instead of a couple of grams of steel, glass and a bit of tungsten, I now have this mess at my hands.

...it also tried to kill me in my sleep.
Did you wake up with it holding a pillow over your face?
... The 'nasty stuffs in the atmosphere' balance for this CFL was still negative...
Per our previous calculations, it was purty close to break-even for mercury if you decide to just throw it in the trash instead of recycling. If you do recycle it, then it's a clear win for mercury. Either way, it was a win for carbon, sulfur, and the other nasty bits that come from burning coal.
... Instead of a couple of grams of steel, glass and a bit of tungsten, I now have this mess at my hands.
You have a light bulb on your hands. Throw it in a box in the closet and remember to take it with you next time you're headed to a Home Depot.
-harry

Let me start by saying I can't understand why CFL is replacing incandescent bulbs. CFLs use mercury. You need to dispose of them carefully because of the hazardous nature. (Read the documentation on what steps need to be taken after you break a CFL. The EPA doc does make one wonder where people's heads are.)
I'd buy LEDs but at 4 times the price, they do not yet seem a viable replacement for incandescents. And good luck getting incandescent bulbs. Doesn't the law prohibit selling them after 1/2012?
So here's the technical question. If I have a socket rated for a 60 watt incandescent bulb, and buy a 11 watt CFL (rated to replace the 60 watt), can I get a larger rated CFL? I'm wondering if I could replace the 60 watt incandescent with a (rated to replace) 100 watt CFL?

LEDs are a very viable replacement for incandescent. My lighting circuit load on the boat dropped drastically when we converted to LED. Over 700 of them on a boat and we had one failure in a year and a half and it was infant mortality. In incandescents we would have replaced each at least twice in that time period. I also don't like the CFLs, both the Mercury issue and quality of light issues, I just don't like them. Not all LEDs are the same though especially if you want to dim the circuit. There are ones that claim you can dim on an AC power supply, but you can't really as they start to flicker. If you want to dim, you go with DC power supplies, and not the electronic ballasts. Thing about LED is once you set it up, you're done for a long time and it costs you 10% as much to run. LED lighting is also considered an upgrade in the housing market.

Per our previous calculations, it was purty close to break-even for mercury if you decide to just throw it in the trash instead of recycling. If you do recycle it, then it's a clear win for mercury. Either way, it was a win for carbon, sulfur, and the other nasty bits that come from burning coal.

There's also Mercury in coal which is how it gets in the oceans and fish.

Did you wake up with it holding a pillow over your face?

Well, it was sure thinking about burning down my house.

Per our previous calculations, it was purty close to break-even for mercury if you decide to just throw it in the trash instead of recycling.

With 'recycling', you mean 'ship it back to china where a 7 year old with a blowtorch in a backyard will melt it down for its copper content'. Those are the 'green collar jobs' everyone is talking about, right ?

...With 'recycling', you mean 'ship it back to china where a 7 year old with a blowtorch in a backyard will melt it down for its copper content'. Those are the 'green collar jobs' everyone is talking about, right ?
Nah. You do like I did and round them up with your old batteries and drag them to your local Ace Hardware where you look at the workbench behind the service counter where you dropped off your load and see them sweeping up the broken glass and parts of a CFL bulb.

Wouldn't you know it. Another day, another CFL to replace.

This one in the utility room which is more of a closet in this home (only contains the air-handler, not much more). If it has seen a 100hrs of use in its life it's a lot.

This one was marketed by GE but 'fabrique en chine'. The base is coked up similar to the one in the picture.

Back