CFIs What Do Y'all Use to Help Students Remember

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
We all know the typical ARROW, ATOMATOFLAMES, AV1ATES to help students remember certain items. I want to know what unique thing you use to help students remember those other sticky topics.

My big one is teaching students Hypoxia by using an analogy.

School Bus Analogy: Children - O2 \\\ Bus: Blood
Hypoxic - School bus arrives but there is no children.
Hypemic - School bus never arrives or it's full of adults
Histotoxic - Children get to school but the school door is locked.
Stagnant - School bus breaks down and can't move.

I usually just remind them of the rate they pay when we have to repeatedly go over things they don't want to study or memorize on thier own.

I use the fuel stick! Especially on right rudder or hand on the throttle!

Well yeah, inside the cockpit I'll whack their knuckles with a ruler (like the nuns did to me) but outside they get the whip!

Last edited:
Things so stupid, they don't forget them.

Ex. Transponder codes (7500,7600,7700) Edit:Oops
"Hi, Jack! Can't talk right now, I'm on fire!"

Last edited:
Fat Finger Strikes Again!!

Things so stupid, they don't forget them.

Ex. Transponder codes (7500,7600,7700) Edit:Oops
"Hi, Jack! Can't talk right now, I'm on fire!"

This is actually really good! Thanks for sharing.

This is actually a great thread

What does that mean? o_O

I like the transponder code ones!
It's day VFR equipment required

Gas gauge
Oil temp gauge
Oil press gauge
Seat belts
Elt

Altimeter

Compass
Air speed indicator
Tach

Not transponder related but fun...;)

I remember during a 141 stage for my instrument helicopter the check examiner asked me about required equipment. I opened my FAR/AIM up to the appropriate section. He got grumpy and said "you'll never get a commercial license(yes this is was an Instrument Stage check...) if you don't memorize GOOSEACAT". I very nicely asked him to show me in the PTS where it was required to memorize anything. He got even grumpier and said "you'll definitely never be a commercial pilot with that attitude". I said, okay lets play it your way and I asked him to recite GOOSEACAT. He rattled it off like a true pro. Then I asked him "what about anticollision lights, landing gear position indicators and flotation gear?". "Those are exceptions". "Are those exceptions rules?" "We're done here"

As it turns out I've passed three commercial checkrides. For the record - I could recite GOOSEACAT, I only opened the FAR/AIM as a back up... :) (some would call that SRM, using all available resources)

Bad practice. One thing I learned. The DE is always right.

Except when they're wrong. :p

On my commercial helicopter the examiner was refusing to accept my instrument helicopter experience for the commercial requirements. He backed his opinion with an Opinion Letter from the Chief Counsel. We (my instructor of 40 years) showed him the letter that superseded that letter. After a lengthy(heated) discussion and a call to the FSDO, he profusely apologized.

If I would have followed your old wives tale, it would have cost me a reschedule and 10 more hours of flight training. Both of which would have cost me money - one in fees the other in a lost job opportunity.

Last edited:
I have a strong dislike for acronyms. We have so many acronyms now that it's damn near impossible to remember which ones are even applicable to a given topic. Instead of being able to "just do it" I find the acronym crowd is often trying to remember what the acronym actually stands for, and usually always at the worst of times. The worst part about acronyms is that they often play with the nomenclature of terms that causes them to differ from the terms used in official sources.

With respect to required equipment, I expect my students to be able to tell me whether or not something is required for VFR day and/or night flight, and why. This is a much more logical approach to teaching required equipment. Pilots are not given a bucket of equipment from which to choose for each flight. All of the instrumentation is in the airplane when they arrive at the airport to fly that day. They need to be able to figure out what inoperative equipment makes their flight illegal, and which does not.

The only one I consistently teach is IMSAFE because it's been incorporated into the PTS and actually makes sense (to me, anyway). The rest of the skills involved with flying -- the psychomotor ones like lowering flaps or landing gear, preparing the aircraft for an off-airport landing and the like -- are learned through repetition. By their nature within the psychomotor domain, they do not need to be associated with acronyms if those skills are properly developed.

Night vision-

The rod comes out at night.

Back