CFIs Voice In Absentia

"What the hell is that smell..???? You have bean burritos and boiled eggs again for breakfast..??"

“Right Rudder. Right RUDDER. There you go...Ahhhhh, LIFT! Anytime we need more of something, it’s more than likely going to be Right Rudder.”

John, if you’re reading this, I’ll call ya next week.

On my first solo as he was getting out of the plane -- "Even though I'm not in here, you will still hear my voice." He was right. Sometimes I can still hear him and it's been over 35 yrs!;)

I often think about various accidents, and wish I were there in the back seat to whisper into the pilots ear. The one that comes to mind most often, is JFK Jr.

"""John, level your wings."""
"""John, Level your wings!"""

"Remember you aren't training to be a carrier pilot."

Hey Sac, where ya been?!

I heard that a couple times, always brought a belly chuckle from me.

That’s what’s cool about some CFIs, they made us laugh at ourselves and fix some stuff.

My very first lesson, with my very first instructor:
"Let's understand something, before we get in the plane. You are not going to kill me in that thing today."
The truly sad thing about it is that a student did kill him in the plane almost a year, to the day, later.

Another instructor, a WWI pilot: "A lot of instructors will tell you a lot of things about flying airplanes, including me. You need to figure out what's crap, and what's not."

His son, a WWII pilot told me: "My old man is full of crap. Don't listen to him."

Last edited:
My very first lesson, with my very first instructor:
"Let's understand something, before we get in the plane. You are not going to kill me in that thing today."
The truly sad thing about it is that a student did kill him in the plane almost a year, to the day, later.
Wow, what happened?

"Or we could do it this way." after I'd done something unusual.
"Hold it off." meaning the nose gear after the mains touched down.
"You kiss yo mama with that mouth?" after I cussed myself out under my breath.
"While your hand is up there..." Turn on the fuel pump and landing light while my hand was reducing the throttle to configure for landing.

Last edited:
At the early stages of training, "More right rudder" numerous times, and "airspeed" all the time on base and final even when I was nailing it. Constantly hear him saying airspeed in my head when flying solo.

Also heard "Those damn birds aren't talking on the radio today" quite a few times.

"Right rudder", and "Where's the centerline?"

Had a passenger ask the flight attendant that once after I "arrived". Kept the cockpit door closed while deplaning. :blush:
After one particularly impactful arrival, we were de-planing and the Captain was standing in the cockpit doorway. I just looked at him and said, "Navy, huh?" He got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

"Just pretend the centerline is Jennifer Aniston's crotch." Yes, he actually did say that.

during round out you would hear in the headset "like a duck"

Did we just land or were we shot down?

Had a passenger ask the flight attendant that once after I "arrived". Kept the cockpit door closed while deplaning. :blush:

"Remember you aren't training to be a carrier pilot."

"Right rudder", and "Where's the centerline?"

After one particularly impactful arrival, we were de-planing and the Captain was standing in the cockpit doorway. I just looked at him and said, "Navy, huh?" He got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

Years (decades?) ago I was riding an LH flight from Frankfurt to Nuremburg. LH's in fight magazine at the time stated that "some of our pilots prefer a firmer touchdown..." This guy planted that 727 on the runway so firmly that I suspected he was a Navy carrier pilot wannabe. Damn, that plane landed "firmly"!

"I TOLD YOU TO BE GENTLE WITH THE EQUIPMENT!" as he pounded on the dashboard, because I pulled a little harder on the carb heat knob than he liked... OK...you're fired! Next? ... 6 instructors later... Success!

So besides Jennifer Aniston.. . I see one nobody mentioned that we’ve all heard...

“Just fly the plane.”

BLUE LINE, BLUE LINE! G dammit Jim, what are you doing!

LOL. Forgot about that one. :)

I was already blue line paranoid before I ever got in the plane though, so mine was literally ...

“Can we go below blue line to do these stalls?”

Instructor just peered at me for a moment over the top of his glasses and didn’t say a word...

It only took one look. :)

Oh yeah, remembered another- “relax, fly with 2 fingers” the first 5 hrs or so when I had a death grip on the yoke during the initial climb out.

Rolling out base-to-final my first instructor would always ask, "too high, too low or just right?" I still ask myself that question.

Back