CFIs training friends - what do you charge? Do you charge?

U

Unregistered

Sorry for posting in "Lessons Learned", I wanted to remain anonymous because the person I'm talking about might be on the boards here.

I am a CFI. I have a good friend who wants to get his commercial certificate. He has an airplane that we can use. He's asked me to train him for it, and I have no problem with doing so, in fact I look forward to it.

We haven't started yet. But the issue of "pay" came up and I wasn't sure what to say.

On the one hand, he's a good friend and we have fun together. We've flown together in the past and will likely do so in the future. I enjoy flying with him - if we weren't pilots, we'd probably be hanging out together anyway. So if I don't charge him anything, no big deal to me.

On the other hand, there is some work involved as a CFI - lesson plans and prep, of course the time commitment, pre-and-post-flight briefings, etc. It's time I'd be away from my family. And a common refrain here (and one that I believe in) is that CFIs shouldn't give their services away for free, it cheapens the profession and belittles the amount of work it takes to get to that point.

If it was a "let's fly to lunch and by the way, can we do a BFR at the same time", I probably wouldn't even be asking. Maybe he could buy lunch or something. But since we're talking about more extended training, checkride prep and signoff and all, it's more work for the CFI.

My wife has a friend who is a hairdresser. When my wife goes there, her friend always tries to not charge my wife, but my wife always insists on paying, since after all, it's her friend's profession, and also she realizes she's taking away a spot from a paying customer anyway.

What do you CFIs do when giving training to friends? Does it matter if it's a shorter amount of training (like a BFR, IPC, or even "let's work on crosswind landings") versus training for a new certificate?

Charge your normal rate? A discounted amount? Not charge at all?

In my specific case, I don't need the money, but on the flip side, he has no problem with paying my normal rate.

When I'm teaching one of my friends I just charge the normal rate. Neither one of us thinks twice about it. If I'm doing an Admin flight somewhere and one of them wants to ride along then that's different.

If they asked for my time, I charge accordingly.

Last edited:
Ask him what he thinks is fair. Id say discounted rate if you are friends.

It's a cost to you, he's not a family member, and he has no problem paying your normal rate- I'd say charge him.:yes:

That having been said, I would probably not charge full rate for the little extras that add up- preflight time, quick questions between lessons, etc... but unless you work some sort of barter out I don't see how he'd object to paying for ongoing training.

I would be inclined to charge my normal rate, but give a break every now and then.

What do you CFIs do when giving training to friends? Does it matter if it's a shorter amount of training (like a BFR, IPC, or even "let's work on crosswind landings") versus training for a new certificate?

Yeah for friends, I wouldn't charge for a one-off flight like a BFR. Intensive training though, especially if it takes time away from my other job or my other flight students, is going to be charged. Even so, like I said...I'd maybe throw in free ground or a free flight here and there without making a habit out of it.

Would he give you 30-50 hours of labor in his field for free or discounted?

TRADE!

I don't like taking money from my friends.

When we go to the bar, I'll buy a round then buddy buys a round, that type of thing.

I've gotten a few friends their PPLs, BFRs, etc

Recently I got one friend his PPL, traded for AFP training for a skydiving license for his PPL, Im enjoying my "private pilots license" in skydiving and he's enjoying his PPL. Fair enough :)

He has an airplane that we can use.
Would you like to have use of his plane when not training him?
My partner trained my girl in exchange for use of my trainer plane when he wanted...

First lesson is free. Q. What makes an airplane fly? A. Money, without money the airplane doesn't fly.

You stay friends with your friends by not setting up situations where you suddenly own them something that you don't want to owe them. I've been in situations where someone felt I owed them a favor, and I didn't like that. If it's free, it's really, and truly free and you will never "call" on them for a favor in return. Otherwise, it's paid dual.

We don't know your relationship. I'd say it's whatever you feel is right.

I'd also say it's different if you instruct for fun versus instructing for a profession.

In the past I've usually traded flight time, hockey tickets, etc. for instruction. No one size fits all answer.

I will say this, if you want to be paid, ask to be paid. None of this "I didn't want to ask" stuff. If you do it for free, do it for free because you're ok with that, not because you didn't want to offend your friend by asking to pay.

Other than for my wife or son, I require compensation for my time and expertise the same regardless of who I'm training. If the trainee is a friend and I feel that would compromise friendship, I'll recommend another instructor who has no personal ties to the trainee. I might barter my time for something else of value in return besides money, but there will be an appropriate quid pro quo. The exception is that at AYA Conventions, I don't charge for Cockpit Cool (AYA equivalent of AOPA Pinch Hitter) flights or other official AYA activities.

Last edited:
I am friendly with the partners in my airplane. I tell them instruction is $30 per tach hour, ground instruction before or after might cost them a meal or a beer. This compares to $30 - $40 per clock hour locally, flight or ground. It works for those of us in this particular partnership. Do what works. For me, money is easy to come by, friendship not so much.

If this is your full time job, I sure hope he would pay you even if you guys are friends. I'm no CFI but I would expect to be paid if its my only job

I do professional courtesy Flight Reviews and IPCs for CFI friends, but then they reciprocate when I need the same. But my friends who ask me to help them earn a license or rating all pay...sometimes discounted, but not always and not discounted all that much. They know it's my business and they're willing to pay for the value received. I've also traded for comparable value services.

If they're a friend, and it's something simple like a flight review or an ipc, I do not bother to charge as I know they'd help me out with whatever if they could as well. If it's a lot more extensive or not a friend then I will usually bill $35/hr.

I would do it super cheap.

Also. I would really like to be friends with you.

I've got a few friends who are CFIs and they'll charge anything from the prevailing rate (which I am happy to pay ) to doing it for free (or lunch or dinner). My favorite guy is a (now ex-) AF pilot who was happy if I'd let him do three takeoffs and landings so he can maintain his SE currency.

I have a couple friends that are CFIs. If I ask them along as an instructor, I expect to pay the going rate. I figure they did the work, spent the money and earned the right to collect for their expertise.

And I'm careful to always let them know if I'm asking them along as an instructor or otherwise.

I'm no CFI --- I do expect to pay for services rendered, whether it's the neighbor plumber who did some work for me, or a CFI. It's the right thing to do.

You don't have to make a big deal out of it, just say "My rate is $xx/hr". I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to comp him something. But don't mix business and friendship - what you are doing is providing a professional service, don't feel bad about treating it that way.

My best friend and roommate only has to pay for airplane expenses. Everyone else gets the normal rate.

My friends have wives, and they aren't allowed to go in any airplanes.

I am "Friends" with an instructor.

My personal experience if it involves a signed logbook, it should be paid. If it's "hey you want to go to XYZ and have some fun" and they give some tips, pointers, or guidance along the way, it's probably free.

I expect to pay however. I always offer. If that individual declines, that is their choice. Everyone deserves to be paid.

If you are providing instruction, you should get paid. When I did my IR, I had a great CFII that was retired and just loved to fly. We used to fly to car auctions together and of course, I'd buy him lunch, he'd charge me for the time in the air, and sometimes not all of that.:D He actually did my initial experience for my 310 and 414, same deal. :D

I just went through this to get current.

Work out the details before you fly or do any ground. I would say charge the minimum rate for your area though. My buddy charged $40/hr and the local FBO is at $45. He got some cash and got to fly with a friend. I got current and felt like I got my money's worth. We both got to see everything on the east coast from VA to Fl in the process!

When you talk money, just realize this is a business transaction, not a sports bet or helping a buddy out with unloading a storage locker. If he tries to chew on you, suggest he fly with an uninvolved CFI then.

I would charge either the regular fee for the air time. If you feel that you shouldn't charge the full fee, give him a small discount. As someone said before: It is your free time or time you could bill to someone else.

Personally, I wouldn't accept an offer to get my training for free. I've seen more than once, that people quarrel with one another, because someone thought, he was cheated by the other person or the other person wasn't grateful enough for receiving the service for free... :eek::yikes:

Another question: Where do you draw the line? Who gets your service for free and who needs to pay for it?

people I have know for some time (over 3 years) I charge half rate. But one of my close friends I grew up with wants to start taking lessons. I told him all he had to pay me was $1000 and I'd get him his license no mater how long it took which is a gamble depending on how well he picks thing up. If he goes over the 55hr mark I might have to have him star buying me lunch every flight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back