CFI riding along for checkride.

Soldier64

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill H.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am taking my checkride Saturday morning if the weather holds out. My CFI is new to the area and I am fairly certain I am the first person he has put up for a ride down here. When I scheduled with the DPE he told me to invite him into the oral. I know I've read that a few times here and it seems normal. What about him tagging along for the flight so he has a better idea what the DPE is like for his next guy? Has anyone done that or is that strictly case by case? I assume it is up to the DPE. It will be in my Arrow so I don't see a W&B issue or any uncomfortability issue.

Just trying to get the boards thoughts.

If you have not yet flown with three people in the plane, your checkride probably wouldn't be the best time to experience it, although landings are easier the further back you move the CG.

Edit, never mind, this isn't a PP ride, sure, take him along if the DPE is good with it. The whole business is about establishing relationships and going flying.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's done once and a while, but I mostly seem to hear about the CFI flying with the student from home base to the airport where the DPE is and then maybe sitting in during the oral. If your comfortable with it and the CFI is too, go for it, may also help the CFI know how the DPE does his ride for future students.

It seems to me to be a question of comfort between the three of you. I rode along on one of my multi-engine student check rides; non-event. I sat in back and kept my mouth shut and was totally ignored. I have not sat in on an oral but wouldn't worry about it.

Ask the examiner and make sure you do a good weight and balance. I'm sure it won't be an issue.

It's entirely legal as long as you, the applicant, agree to it. And the examiner is supposed to ask you that outside the presence of the instructor.

Personally, as a working instrument instructor, I'd just as soon not be in the plane with you -- I've got enough gray hairs as it is. I'll get the debrief when you land.

When I did my CFII check ride I inquired about having my son ride along during the checkride. The DPE showed me some specific guidance that prohibits passengers during the checkrides, however I don't recall where that guidance was, so I can't say if it would apply to a flight instructor or not. I do know the FAA occasionally rides along so there are some exceptions.

Brian

I have ridden in the back on a couple of checkrides without issue. And I do make it a practice to sit in on someone's oral before sending candidates to a DPE I'm unfamiliar with. If I'm not comfortable with the way the oral is handled, I don't use the DPE.

When I did my CFII check ride I inquired about having my son ride along during the checkride. The DPE showed me some specific guidance that prohibits passengers during the checkrides, however I don't recall where that guidance was, so I can't say if it would apply to a flight instructor or not. I do know the FAA occasionally rides along so there are some exceptions.

Brian

Yeah, CFI is not a passenger for the purposes of this regulation, CFI can go no worries.

Thank you all for the information. He has no experience with this DPE as I am his first student put up. I do not believe he has sat in on an oral from him either. I'm not worried about it, but I suppose I will talk to the DPE about it Saturday morning.

I've been asked multiple times by our local DPE if I wanted to ride. I've politely said no thanks to every offer. If it goes bad I don't want to be there to watch. Also I would have the overwhelming need to try to "help" my student. :D

Brian

From 8900.2

a. Authorized Persons. Persons who may be carried during a practical test include:
(1) Persons preparing for a similar practical test.
(2) Authorized instructors assigned to similar flight training activities.
(3) The applicant’s instructor.
(4) Examiners who are authorized to conduct similar practical tests or examiner candidates.
(5) Chief pilots or instructors for flight schools and corporate operators.
(6) Owner/operators of the aircraft.
(7) ASIs.
b. Unauthorized Persons. Examples of unauthorized persons are non-flying relatives of the applicant, persons not involved in a flight training program, non-flying employees, or friends of the owner/operator.
c. Consent for Passenger Carriage. The carriage of authorized persons must have the consent of the applicant, the examiner, and the owner/operator.

Yeah, CFI is not a passenger for the purposes of this regulation, CFI can go no worries.
Your instructor is a passenger for the purpose of this regulation, but is FAA Order 8900.2 authorizes his/her presence as a passenger during your practical test -- with the consent of both you and the examiner.

Interesting never heard of this either going on the flight the oral is probably pretty normal usually the cfi are listening in anyway

Could you, sure, should you, no

I'm guessing you have done most all your flight with just two aboard, now on the one day you REALLY need to be on it, you're going to mix it up? Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Besides your CFI can find out all he needs to know on the debrief.

The DPE invited my CFI to ride along on my private check ride. Just for chuckles and grins I had run a W&B with my spreadsheet for that plane with her in the front and my CFI in the back seat, so I scored some brownie points with the DPE when I handed her the printout and said, "We're legal".

Poor CFI had to sit in back and keep his mouth shut. I had flown with him with my wife in the back seat a few months earlier, so I had an idea of what to expect from that 180 hp C-172N. I wonder what he was thinking when she asked me to do a power on stall from a 20 degree banked turn, something we hadn't practiced before? :D BTW, I nailed it. No problem.

I wouldn't just because I don't want to add the additional pressure on my student.

Now, that being said, if he needs to fly somewhere for the ride, I will charge him for the ride up, but when he gets his ticket, I don't charge for the ride back.

From 8900.2

a. Authorized Persons. Persons who may be carried during a practical test include:
(1) Persons preparing for a similar practical test.
(2) Authorized instructors assigned to similar flight training activities.
(3) The applicant’s instructor.
(4) Examiners who are authorized to conduct similar practical tests or examiner candidates.
(5) Chief pilots or instructors for flight schools and corporate operators.
(6) Owner/operators of the aircraft.
(7) ASIs.
b. Unauthorized Persons. Examples of unauthorized persons are non-flying relatives of the applicant, persons not involved in a flight training program, non-flying employees, or friends of the owner/operator.
c. Consent for Passenger Carriage. The carriage of authorized persons must have the consent of the applicant, the examiner, and the owner/operator.

The latest 8900.2A does not say anything about carrying authorized passengers. Does anyone know what that means, or is the info somewhere else now?

That's interesting. Does this mean I can ask to tag along on another instrument student's instrument ride? I've never heard of that happening.

That is sure how it reads as a "Persons preparing for a similar practical test" if you met all the consent clauses.

That is sure how it reads as a "Persons preparing for a similar practical test" if you met all the consent clauses.

But the latest 8900.2 document, published March 2015, does not have that paragraph or wording.

From what I can tell after searching the document several different ways, it is completely silent on carrying passengers of any kind during a practical test.

I wonder if that wording was accidentally omitted.

As i am sitting here tabbing through the far/aim for checkride prep anyways,
61.47(c) Notwithstanding the type of aircraft used during the practical test, the applicant and the examiner (and any other occupants authorized to be on board by the examiner) are not subject to the requirements or limitations for the carriage of passengers that are specified in this chapter.

As i am sitting here tabbing through the far/aim for checkride prep anyways,

Cool, so maybe they removed the wording from 8900.2 since it's covered in part 61.

Good find.

Back