CFI Question - Do you require FAA Airman Test Passed Before Solo?

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Another thread has a student pilot reporting that they have soloed but have not yet taken the FAA Airman Knowledge Test. Is this standard practice? There is a student at our airport that has received a couple of solo endorsements from a CFI and he has not taken the FAA Airman Knowledge Test either.

I'm not referring to the pre-solo written test (CFR 14 Part 61.87) but rather the FAA knowledge test. I know that the FAA Knowledge test isn't a requirement prior solo but I know several CFI's that won't solo a student without them having passed it.

What say you?

No.

I didn't take my private knowledge test until my CFI said about, "Y'know, you're about ready for the checkride. Don't you think it's time to get it out of the way?" I has already completed all my solo requirements including my long solo cross country (back when it was actually kinda long, not the baby one the regs call for now).

"Standard" depends. Personally, I never quite understood the reason for getting the multiple guess test out of the way early, especially before trailing even begins.

I have started requiring it pre-solo for students under the Age of 21. I just need them to show some commitment to studying. They also have less general experience to draw on, some glider students aren’t even old enough to drive yet.

I know a 16year old with 380 hours, has his private glider rating, and holds a number of Washington State, Jr Soaring records. His dad had to drive him to meet the examiner for the glider practical test. He will take his ASEL private check ride on this 17th birthday, and his Instrument checkride a few weeks later.

Otherwise I require it before we start the cross country flights, because as soon as we finish the cross country training, we will be prepping for the practical test.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I "think" I started requiring it before the solo XC's. Maybe before the dual XC's. Admittedly, I was pretty inconsistent, a lot of it depended on the student's personality and motivation to study. I found that once people got to the XC phase of training (being the last block the way I taught it), they were shocked at how close they really were to being done. After all, once you start the XC work, you're really just a few flights away from a checkride. You could realistically have your checkride in just 2 weeks even for a part-time student. And that caused checkride delays in some cases if the student hadn't taken the knowledge test yet.

I didn’t take the written until I was into the solo cross-country phase. I’d been watching the King videos and studying all along, but just couldn’t grasp some of the concepts until we did it live. There have got to be lots of others who are the same.

The pre solo test should be sufficient,the FAA airman test is overkill for initial solo.

Looks like I am the minority for this group - I make my guys take the written first. Having said that, they are getting paid to learn how to fly.

Nope. If that is what the FAA intended, they wouldn't have written the FARs calling for the instructor to deliver a pre-solo written focused on more limited content than the official private written.

I feel the pre-solo written test is adequate for solo but I require the knowledge test be passed prior to solo XC. I've had several students get angry with me over this practice but it's my hide if they get in trouble on a solo XC. Buck up buttercup & study.

I know I'm not a CFI, but my CFI didn't require it before solo. She was, however, thrilled to pieces that I had already taken and passed the written before we even started flying together. As I had actually studied for the written instead of test-prepped for it, I had to do very little formal ground school with her and the ground school I did take with her was more akin to a friendly test to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

Personally, I think getting it out of the way early like that made me a better pilot because I was more aware of everything and its relative importance, but it's not for everyone. I am decently good at retaining information that I don't fully understand, and then being able to connect the dots between the theory and reality once I understand the physical aspect of it. If the student needs to understand the "how" before he can understand the "what and why", it will be very difficult and probably not very helpful to make him study and take the written early on.

I know I'm not a CFI, but my CFI didn't require it before solo. She was, however, thrilled to pieces that I had already taken and passed the written before we even started flying together. As I had actually studied for the written instead of test-prepped for it, I had to do very little formal ground school with her and the ground school I did take with her was more akin to a friendly test to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

Personally, I think getting it out of the way early like that made me a better pilot because I was more aware of everything and its relative importance, but it's not for everyone. I am decently good at retaining information that I don't fully understand, and then being able to connect the dots between the theory and reality once I understand the physical aspect of it. If the student needs to understand the "how" before he can understand the "what and why", it will be very difficult and probably not very helpful to make him study and take the written early on.
That’s how I did it as well. I am also excited when students show up prepared throughout training. They learn more, faster and cheaper.

I feel the pre-solo written test is adequate for solo but I require the knowledge test be passed prior to solo XC. I've had several students get angry with me over this practice but it's my hide if they get in trouble on a solo XC. Buck up buttercup & study.

How does them taking the written let you off the hook if they screw up while flying?

Sounds like putting an airplane in an LLC to let you off the hook from liability when you're the only one that flies it.

Is there a limitation on the time period that can pass between passing the written and passing the check ride?
I am progressing pretty slowly in getting flight hours due to scheduling difficulties, but that doesn't keep me from ground study.
What if someone passes the test before solo, but doesn't get to the point where a check ride can be done for quite a while?

Is there a limitation on the time period that can pass between passing the written and passing the check ride?
I am progressing pretty slowly in getting flight hours due to scheduling difficulties, but that doesn't keep me from ground study.
What if someone passes the test before solo, but doesn't get to the point where a check ride can be done for quite a while?

24 calendar months.

If you passed the written today, you can take the check ride up until Jun 30, 2025.

§ 61.39 Prerequisites for practical tests.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (e) of this section, to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must:

(1) Pass the required knowledge test:

(i) Within the 24-calendar-month period preceding the month the applicant completes the practical test, if a knowledge test is required; or

Last edited:
24 calendar months.

If you passed the written today, you can take the check ride up until Jun 30, 2025.

§ 61.39 Prerequisites for practical tests.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (e) of this section, to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must:

(1) Pass the required knowledge test:

(i) Within the 24-calendar-month period preceding the month the applicant completes the practical test, if a knowledge test is required; or
Very helpful, thank you.
(My question is also evidence that I need to dive much deeper into the FAR/AIM before I attempt any exams :D)

Back