CFI Lesson Plans - CFI Guide

Marz7490

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheChicagoPilot
Has anyone used these guys before? They seem to have the most up-to-date plans when it comes to implementing the ACS, etc. I've looked into all of the other popular ones, Jeppesen, PilotNick, and Backseat but all seem to be a little behind.

I've thought of writing my own but it really doesn't seem like it's worth reinventing the wheel...

https://cfilessonplans.flightinstructorguide.com/

Their "discount" brings it down to $38 for CFI-A, CFI-I, and MEI which seems like a pretty good deal!

Thoughts?

edit: looked at their samples. Not very good. Extremely generic.

I've thought of writing my own but it really doesn't seem like it's worth reinventing the wheel...
?

If you've never written lesson plans for pilot training, then it isn't "reinventing the wheel" to you.

The thought process involved in constructing the lesson plans is the point of doing it, not the result, and that process is very valuable.

I wrote all of my own lesson plans, and I'm glad I did. A lot of my training now is specialized, tailored training - someone puts in a new piece of avionics equipment, and they want me to train them on it. So, I create a lesson plan for that one instance. Maybe I'll use it again sometime later, but maybe not. That's part of what they're paying me for. Had I not developed my own plans in training, I likely wouldn't have the background and experience to do it well now.

These days I think many examiners expect that the majority of the CFI applicants have bought a set of lesson plans. It's not a big deal if you decide to buy them rather than write them, you're not being graded on the plans themselves. The plans are simply a guide for you to teach from during the oral portion of your CFI checkride (and afterward too), because you will have to teach a ground lesson on a subject that the examiner chooses. Regardless of whether you buy or write your plans you had better know what is in them, that the material is accurate, and be able to teach a lesson from them. Don't wait until the morning of your checkride to start looking at them.

Like Jordan and Russ, I wrote my own plans. It can take a lot of time to write them all and do a good job with it, but I think it was worth the effort spent working on them. It helped me prepare for the checkride and remember what each of the maneuvers looked like prior to flying them, and also helped me with remembering the airplane configuration for each maneuver. I hadn't flown or really thought much about the commercial maneuvers for several years at that point.

Back