Cessna rental and flying in London/UK

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
Hi all,

Heading to London and a few other cities in the UK for the next 2 months and wanted to rent a Cessna 172/182 whilst I'm there. Are there any special rules for someone with a US license?

Just some flying for pleasure, and to experience a different place to fly.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Hi.. Check out the following forum, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice around EASA etc.. https://forums.flyer.co.uk/

Where are you heading and I could possibly give you some best rental places to check.

this may help ( http://www.higherplane.co.uk/faq.html )
"
Can I fly UK (G Reg) aircraft in the UK on an FAA/NZ/Australian/South African PPL or must I convert to a UK or EASA licence?
Until April 8th 2017, (was 2014 and subsequently 2016) providing you obey the restrictions of your licence, it is fully valid (eg: sign-offs, medical, etc), and UK Air Law and stick to a private VFR flight in UK Airspace, you do not need to convert your licence. From 8th April 2017 (was 2014 then 2016) you will be restricted to non-EASA aircraft (eg: Permit aircraft, or the small number of UK CAA CofA types) OR you could get a one-year formal validation, but that will be almost as much trouble as a conversion. Remember if you have a foreign licence (eg South African) where PPL holders must stick to their exact approved types without formal sign off by an instructor approved by that country, you must not assume that a UK instructor can alter the types you can legally fly. Usually, they cannot.
If you learned abroad, you probably need a UK instructor to brief you well on UK Air Law, and maybe to 'ride shotgun' for a couple of cross-country flights in the UK. It would be well worth looking at the Pre- Preflight Checklist which takes you through all the legalities and tips before making a flight in the UK. If you want to convert to an EASA PPL, see Q&A 25 below.
"

Mike

Last edited:
I'm sure it's doable, sounds expensive and a hassle though? Maybe just fly once with a local instructor?

No problems with the license, but the procedures are completely different, familiarize yourself with them first, and (this will be a requirement anyway) go up with an instructor first.

Already alluded to, but how familiar are you with UK flight regulations, procedures, airspace, charts, QNH vs QFE altimeter settings, etc?

I asked the same question as you and this chap gave me general description of requirements, which was pretty daunting, especially when I saw how different a basic VFR chart was. Learning a whole new set of rules, regs, and procedures to bring myself up to at least student solo xc knowledge standards did not strike me as a lot of pre/vacation fun. He offered to take me for a ride and we ended up with a wonderful $100 (actually 100 Franc) hamburger on our day trip from Biggin Hill to Le Touquet.

Our route of flight, depicted on SkyVector is here.

A story about the flight is on my website and includes a photo of the actual chart we used, here.

My total experience flying in the UK is .4 hours dual in a glider. Won't help you much, but it was a blast. Oh, and prepare for sticker shock. With the price of 100LL in Europe that flight isn't going to be cheap.

It's a pattern, not a circuit.
Overhead joins, not 45 degree joins.
Flight following is called Basic Service. It does not guarantee separation.
Every new sector will give you new squawk.
Transition Level might be as low as 4000ft.
It's QNH, not Altimeter setting.
No class B.
Little or no class E.
Class A can go to the ground. That means no VFR crossings.
IFR allowed in class G not talking to anyone, so if you accidentally clip a cloud, chances are there's someone in there.
VFR squawk is 7000.
Air-to-Ground ATZ airfields. Read up on how they work, nothing here resembles it.
All airfields charge for landing.
No night flight landings unless airfield has tower that's open. Few PTT rwy lights like here.
Brush up on your grass field skills. Most smaller airfields are grass in UK.
PPR almost always required and they get ****ed if you just turn up unannounced.

The GA London fields are:
Denham
Elstree
Panshanger
Biggin Hill
Farnborough
Redhill
White Waltham
Stapleford
Damyns Hall

Despite not being as easy as here, great place to fly. Flew there for a few years.

Just don't forget the pilot sits on the right in the uk. You fly on the left.

:)

Back