For Sale Cessna 310R Anyone?

Was fortunate enough to receive some free dual in one of those puppies a year or two ago. What a pleasure to fly!

I’m just waiting to fly something cooler than a Cherokee guysssssss

Carrying the wrong product if it takes more than one trip to cover buying a 310 there, treetop flyer. :)

The ole Cherokee 140 doesn’t haul much cargo. Thing barely gets off the ground with me in it

Love that plane. 1000+ hours in the R.

My Travelair couldn’t hold a candle to my friends 310 ,for speed,but fuel burn was another matter. Always liked the 310.

Fascinating. What kind of job was that? I assume it was for a job at that many hours. Not many operators using 310s for much these days...
Yup... I don’t think they do it anymore, but I flew cancelled bank checks at night in the late 80’s.

Yup... I don’t think they do it anymore, but I flew cancelled bank checks at night in the late 80’s.

Ahhh yeah. That was a thing back then before the big switch to electronic images. One of the few jobs a newly minted 250 hour Commercial pilot could get.

Not many of those jobs left now. Trucks are more efficient and way cheaper at the short range stuff.

Now all the feeders for the cargo biggies are all at least 135 and typically you see much higher mins than the 135 mins to work for them.

Ahhh yeah. That was a thing back then before the big switch to electronic images. One of the few jobs a newly minted 250 hour Commercial pilot could get.

Not many of those jobs left now. Trucks are more efficient and way cheaper at the short range stuff.

Now all the feeders for the cargo biggies are all at least 135 and typically you see much higher mins than the 135 mins to work for them.

Actually 9/11 is what killed the check hauling business.
Banks were perfectly fine with the three day Fed requirement to ship the checks until 9/11 grounded all the planes. Hawaii, Alaska, and coast to coast could not be be done via ground in the required time. So the regulations were waived, the banks caught up, and the Fed with the banks decided they did not want to get caught again. And Check 21 was created and moved everything to images.....

Tim

Actually 9/11 is what killed the check hauling business.
Banks were perfectly fine with the three day Fed requirement to ship the checks until 9/11 grounded all the planes. Hawaii, Alaska, and coast to coast could not be be done via ground in the required time. So the regulations were waived, the banks caught up, and the Fed with the banks decided they did not want to get caught again. And Check 21 was created and moved everything to images.....

Tim

Never realized the back story on Check 21, but knew it killed a lot of pilot jobs. Not that it shouldn’t have, there’s no reason to fly little pieces of fake money around after all. :)

Never realized the back story on Check 21, but knew it killed a lot of pilot jobs. Not that it shouldn’t have, there’s no reason to fly little pieces of fake money around after all. :)
Yeah, I have been in and out of a few industries, payments is one of them (along with cyber security, energy management, ERP....). It is kinda amazing the amount of crap you can learn if you pay attention.

Tim

I flew checks 3-4 nights a week to MEM from KGTR in a C172. It was fine as I was building time anyway. Always thought it funny the boss would take the 310R w/ radar when he flew it lol.

Then we'd take a company car and drive downtown to the Fed Res bank and had to arrive before midnight to drop off the bags of cancelled checks. Something about the banks saved on interest or something if we got them there before midnight.

Usually it'd be 11-12pm when I'd take off again, and FEDEX would lining up to go too. Back when they had 727s and Falcon 10s (20s?).

Last edited:

I think that's what we are all doing in the form of fuel...after we pay to top the tanks. Non? :D

Actually, at the time it was a VERY hard job to get. 1200 hrs min to fly IFR 135. Even then multi time was like gold and hard to get. At that time you needed at least 1000 hours pic multi to go to the commuters (now called regionals).
My my.... how times have changed.

Flying cancelled checks at night was some kind of rite of passage pilots went through. If you survived you passed.

The company I worked for eventually had their certificate yanked for maintenance reasons.

Flying cancelled checks at night was some kind of rite of passage pilots went through. If you survived you passed.

The company I worked for eventually had their certificate yanked for maintenance reasons.
Exactly correct on both staments. My old emoloyer also lost their cert.

I could tell stories that would make most cringe.

I could tell stories that would make most cringe.

Like the chief pilot telling us for IFR the clock in the plane does not have to be working if the pilot has a watch.....

Or it is legal to file GPS direct using a hand held GPS.....

And don't worry about those smoking rivets and the wrinkles in the wings.....

Actual comments I heard while at this company.

Like the chief pilot telling us for IFR the clock in the plane does not have to be working if the pilot has a watch.....

Or it is legal to file GPS direct using a hand held GPS.....

And don't worry about those smoking rivets and the wrinkles in the wings.....

Actual comments I heard while at this company.
Shucks... one story (of many) that I’m not proud of...

Doing a full approach to mins (back in the day when that meant heading to the compass locator, timing your outbound, etc..) without a seat back. Butt cushion only. Two old windshield wiper vor’s, but only the top had a glide slope. The localized needle on the top was broken. I did the approach with a GS on VOR 1, and the LOC on VOR 2 (swinging needles).
Oh, by the way, this was at 2 AM and the panal lights didn’t work. I constantly had to restick the flashlight on the visor with the duct tape as I was flying the approach.

Not proud, but if I didn’t do it there were 1000 guys wanting that job.
Multi time was like God at that time in history.

That sure is pretty. What's TBO on those engines?

Shucks... one story (of many) that I’m not proud of...

Doing a full approach to mins (back in the day when that meant heading to the compass locator, timing your outbound, etc..) without a seat back. Butt cushion only. Two old windshield wiper vor’s, but only the top had a glide slope. The localized needle on the top was broken. I did the approach with a GS on VOR 1, and the LOC on VOR 2 (swinging needles).
Oh, by the way, this was at 2 AM and the panal lights didn’t work. I constantly had to restick the flashlight on the visor with the duct tape as I was flying the approach.

Not proud, but if I didn’t do it there were 1000 guys wanting that job.
Multi time was like God at that time in history.

Gave many ASR approaches to BankAir (PA34) and a N35RD (PA31) back in the day. They flew in some crap weather and would fly the ASR as long and low as possible to get in. Don’t even think they had AWOS at the field back then.

Back