Cessna 210L - weird smell after closing the flaps cowling

Amit Peleg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CPL in IL
Hello experts,
a good friend of mine owns a C-210L (non Turbo).
every time we close the flaps cowling the cabin start to have a weird smell.
This smell disappears after 1-2 minutes.
Any clue to what that can be?

suggestions where to start?

thank you in advance,
Amit

Does it smell like something dead?

Does it smell like burning oil, burning rubber, or something else?
to me it smells more like burnt oil, however if so why does it stop after 2 minutes?
it also might be exhaust gases. again, we expose to it only when closing the cowl flaps.

Last edited:
If it is anything like our old 182 the oil breather tube is down by the cowl flaps and maybe when you close them oil on the cowl flaps is now whipping around in the engine compartment and gets sucked into the cabin. If it isn't to hot outside, try close the cowl flaps right after startup to see if you smell it then. Do you lean aggressively during idle/taxi? Is it worse after adding a quart of oil? Is it worse with the cabin air vent opened/close...not the wing vents but the other one to the floor (if a 210 even has that).

Maybe there is a small crack in the tube from the exhaust to the cabin heater and closing the cowl flaps starts airflow into that tube until a temperature stabilizes?

I would definitely get a CO monitor in the cabin and rule that out right away. You could be getting whatever gas your are smelling AND the odorless CO.

Oil from a leak on the cowl flap. When closed it is transferred to the exhaust until burnt off.

After longer flights in my Arrow, I get the same smell when I drop the gear. It freaked me out the first time....now I have an almost reliable second way to know that the nose gear came down :)

Back