Cessna 210C Model

cowtowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
Need your Pireps. There is one local that is in pretty good condition with a good functioning AP.

I'd be moving up from a PA28-180C.

Yes, I know the early models are pretty much a 182R. I also know that the cost of a 210C is about 1/2 of a later model 182R.

Why are you focused on a local airplane? You're a pilot and you have an airplane. You can get places.

Why are you focused on a local airplane? You're a pilot and you have an airplane. You can get places.
First, he didn't say he wasn't looking elsewhere.

Second, you obviously aren't in the market right now, as it is very difficult to find good planes that aren't already sold. The best option you have is to find one that hasn't hit the market yet, or that you can inspect quickly and make an offer.

I started looking all the way to Canada, and the only tangible option I've come across so far that wasn't sold before I could read the logs, is the guy across the street.

Second, you obviously aren't in the market right now, as it is very difficult to find good planes that aren't already sold. The best option you have is to find one that hasn't hit the market yet, or that you can inspect quickly and make an offer.
I might be in the market soon since I may have to sell. Then we'll see.

I bought my Cherokee locally, it was so easy to do. Plus, I'm so busy with work, if I had to start taking trips to look at airplanes, it would never happen.

I might be in the market soon since I may have to sell. Then we'll see.
Unless you're willing to pay more than asking, sight unseen, you'll be in the market for awhile. It might be time to fly with a buddy.

I started looking all the way to Canada, and the only tangible option I've come across so far that wasn't sold before I could read the logs, is the guy across the street.

I also watched Bryan's trips to look at planes, what a cluster that was.

I have cash and would want to make a quick and easy deal. Then sell the Cherokee which I know I could sell in a couple of days.

Big thing to look out for on the early 210s is the gear saddle - not exactly unobtainium, but the price is eye-watering.

I like the 210C models, Like mentioned Gear Saddles can be a big deal and having a mechanic that understands the gear system well can save you a lot of time, money, and headaches.
Doing or having the Gear Door removal modification can simplify some of that.
I agree buying local has a lot of advantages.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Need your Pireps.
Actually a mech-rep but just to reiterate the above: landing gear, landing gear parts, and a mechanic who knows the landing gear system. And repeat. There were some fuel bladder issues but I think most of those have been corrected. Also make sure the strut/doorpost AD has been complied with if the aircraft TT is less than 4000hrs. If you want additional input on early 210s a call to Tennessee Aircraft Services will get you that info.

Don't let me discourage you, because I'm a huge fan of the C210 - but there is a reason why the early models are so cheap compared to later models, or even similar vintage 182s. The retract gear adds a lot of complexity (and maintenance expense) for not much extra speed - maybe 15 knots. Insurance is 3x higher because of the chance of a gear-up. For me personally, these early birds - the juice just ain't worth the squeeze. Later models are a different story: more speed, way more useful load and space for it. I'm stacking my chips for a J model or later.

C.

Need your Pireps. There is one local that is in pretty good condition with a good functioning AP.

I'd be moving up from a PA28-180C.

Yes, I know the early models are pretty much a 182R. I also know that the cost of a 210C is about 1/2 of a later model 182R.

I can’t tell you much about the c model, but I own an f model turbo and If I can answer any general questions I’d be happy to help.

Don't let me discourage you, because I'm a huge fan of the C210 - but there is a reason why the early models are so cheap compared to later models, or even similar vintage 182s. The retract gear adds a lot of complexity (and maintenance expense) for not much extra speed - maybe 15 knots. Insurance is 3x higher because of the chance of a gear-up. For me personally, these early birds - the juice just ain't worth the squeeze. Later models are a different story: more speed, way more useful load and space for it. I'm stacking my chips for a J model or later.

C.
Not much extra speed compared to what?

The flaps are also hydraulic before '65, too. Insurance is also something else. I priced out a 182 vs a 4-seater 210, same hull value and coverage. They wanted 5x the 182 and told me it'd drop to only 3x after 100hrs.

I guess I will call my insurance guy in the morning for a quote

How long do you plan on keeping the plane? I've read where pilots can't get retract insurance or get a large premium increase when certain age milestones are hit. This may or may not apply (have no idea what your age is).

Guy sold it last night to a buyer sight unseen with no prebuy....so my search continues

Guy sold it last night to a buyer sight unseen with no prebuy....so my search continues

Like I said.....

Unless you're willing to pay more than asking, sight unseen, you'll be in the market for awhile. It might be time to fly with a buddy.

Good luck, it's a very tough market for a buyer right now.

Obviously YMMV, but after looking far and wide for a Cardinal I wound up buying one locally that I saw in line ahead of me at my local fields fuel pump. I walked up to the owner, complimented him on his plane and mentioned that I was in the market for one. "Funny you should mention that," he said. The rest, as they say, is history. Had a near-painless transaction.

It was priced under market. I should have pulled the trigger but I didn't. Going to have a discussion with my insurance agent and get some guidelines today

Back