Cessna 210 gear door problems

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by Alaskapilot95, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Alaskapilot95

Alaskapilot95 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Alaskapilot95
    Hey guys so we have a T210F and we have some problems with our gear doors. On the ground the doors are up and in the stowed position and only about once or twice we have had them stay down on the ground. Handle will return to neutral when gear is put in down position. Now our problem the doors do not close while flying. Someone alerted us to this when we flew by one time. We have it in the shop now and have it on stands and pumping the gear up we get the light for up but the doors never come up and the handle does not return to neutral. The hand pump is also quite hard. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

2. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    wow...I have only seen one C-210 with the rear gear doors still installed. Have you tried www.cessnaowner.org .??

The landing gear is an engine driven hydraulic system with a lot of limit switches for sequencing the doors and gear swing. The limit switches operate solenoids in the hydraulic pack, the sequence is doors open, gear down or up, doors close, selector handle returns to neutral. This requires limit switches on the three sets of doors for both open and close as well as up lock and down lock for the gear. in 1979 (I think) Cessna removed the doors and eliminated the solenoids, and also I think there is an STC to remove the doors.

Because some shops and most pilots really don't understand the system, owners have paid for needless repairs, power pack overhauls, and door-removal modifications. Actually, there is an electrical circuit involving the up-lock and down lock microswitches along with the handle switch that energizes the door solenoid valve to the door-close position. If your doors won't close on either the gear-up or gear-down cycle, then the problem could be in this circuit. A simple cleaning of the microswitches may fix the problem, or maybe a broken wire that the broken area re-connects when the weight of the plane is on the gear.

I am not a mechanic, but I used to fly C-210s carrying canceled checks. These are a couple of things I learned from experience and the night mechanic. Hopefully soon someone with more knowledge on Cessna landing gear will see this and give us more information.

And welcome to the site.!!

3. Ryan Klems

Ryan Klems Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rowat
    If your shop is having difficulty figuring it out, I'd recommend having them consult with Paul New at Tennessee Aircraft Services.

4. Everskyward

Everskyward Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    A long time ago (mid 1980s), I flew a T210G with the same problem. As you say, I think they traced it to the one of these switches not allowing the doors to sequence properly. Thus they remained open. However, I am also not a mechanic, and that was a long time ago.

Zeldman likes this.
  5. Ryan Klems

Ryan Klems Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rowat
    If you are getting the up light, then it sounds like the door solenoid and/or the wiring to it that is keeping the doors from closing. Once the light is made (which requires all the up limit switches to be made), it should electrify the solenoid, move the valve and allow the doors to close, and then the handle will return to the neutral position.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 2.36.15 PM.png

6. thomasdr72

thomasdr72 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    thomasdr72
    As everyone has said, something is preventing the gear door control solenoid valve from energizing (or in some cases, the solenoid valve might be sticking). The default (deenergized) state for that solenoid is to open the doors, it's a cool feature, as with minor manipulation you can open/close the gear doors for inspection while the plane is on the ground and not on jacks ;-)

7. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    As @Zeldman has mentioned, removing the doors is a one-time fix (and gives you more useful load, perhaps enough for a vente latte) and it appears that most have had that done.

8. JoesPiper

JoesPiper Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    JoesPiper
    Are they staying wide open or just partially closing? With airspeed, sometimes the linkage binds, but on the ground everything works fine providing all switches are functional. Common cowel flap problem on aircraft as well. No margin for kinking linkage.

9. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Get rid of the doors. Will cut back on maintenance cost.